Beta Gauntlet VII

WastinTime said:
I also think something like "No tech trading" would make it harder for them to like you.

Hmm. As far as I know, tech trading is only strictly tied to the "+X You have shared your technological advances with us." perk. You can still hand over gold and cities and such to get the "+X our trade relations have been free and fair." perk. It'd make things more of a challenge, certainly, but its a surmountable barrier.

- Bill

I did find time for one more run at cultural. 1936 AD, not bad, I played so much better, but the AI was so much worse. I had trouble getting the 3rd city caught up. My city went legendary back in 1835.

This is quite fun. I gifted some engineers so the AI would build wonders. Any religion I got I spread so cathedrals could be built. Sadly no cathedrals went up this time. Last time I think he built 4 of them.

I should try a few other win conditions. Not much time left.

WastinTime said:
I did find time for one more run at cultural. 1936 AD, not bad, I played so much better, but the AI was so much worse. I had trouble getting the 3rd city caught up. My city went legendary back in 1835.

This is quite fun. I gifted some engineers so the AI would build wonders. Any religion I got I spread so cathedrals could be built. Sadly no cathedrals went up this time. Last time I think he built 4 of them.

I should try a few other win conditions. Not much time left.
I did the same but it took me way longer to get the AI to legendary. Which AI did you PA with?

n0xie said:
I did the same but it took me way longer to get the AI to legendary. Which AI did you PA with?

Both times now I chose Roosevelt. Not sure if he's good or just happened to work for me. I try to pick someone who is building wonders.

I cranked out a quick Diplomatic victory. I lost the first vote and had other problems, so it felt a little lame, but still not bad....1500 AD finish.

I'm learning a lot about Perm. Alliances. I'll have to write up something official.

1906 culture victory.

Man, Domination is slow work. And I don't play a lot of conquest in general. I did finally get Cyrus to take enough land to win by Domination in 1960 AD. Is anyone else trying this? My plan was to kill all but one defender and then have Cyrus take the city. He usually keeps it, but was razing the ones that were too far away. I think there is an option to not allow razing. I shoulda checked that.

I also planned to PA with a creative civ. Border expansion is key. I coulda chose Cathy, but she didn't have any horses and I planned to do a lot of cavalry.

Fun gauntlet. Too bad I only had about 2 days total to play it. Can't wait to see the results.

I got 1450BC with copper in the capital. I sent 1 Axe to the farthest civ to cripple them while attacking the others. Considering Dave's result, I have needed only 40% more turns; I must be a great player!

My chariot attemps were no good, I always changed to Horse Archer, which are too expensive to produce.

I have learnt something interesting too, if you connect copper when a Warrior is about to be produced you don't get a Warrior, as you'd hope, nor an Axeman, as you 'd like, bur a Spear!

Very fun gauntlet. It also has helped me to play more quickly.

The Gauntlet is closed. Congratulations to WastinTime for the win, having submitted the best game for two different victory conditions. Ronald, fluffyflyingpig, DaveMcW and Drool rounded out the victor's list.

We on the staff really weren't expecting any Domination or Cultural submissions for this Gauntlet. I always focus first on objectively judging legality of submissions first and foremost, but once some of these games get cleared, the actual brilliance of the achievements really boggle my mind sometimes. You make us all very proud to be running your Hall of Fame. We're honored by what you've done with this Gauntlet.

Hahaha, I guess my time held up. I forgot to put on no city razing and did not use the "please attack x city" diplomacy option, which added over a dozen turns. Most amusing part of the gauntlet: thanks to Sistine + Eiffle + Statue of Liberty, Cathy's cities were getting enough culture/turn to border pop twice the moment they came out of resistance.

Very fun guantlet. Lots learned about PAs. The 1904 culture win is impressive WastinTime, nice work.

Top Bottom