Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Mare Nostrum' started by Ekmek, Jun 2, 2009.
you need winrar - google it and you should get a freedownload.
Thanks. I dowloaded WinRAR, but now where do I extract the files to? I assume somewhere in my Civ4Col sub-folders, but I'm confused about these mods. For example, I also downloaded AODII by Dale, and those instructions say to extract to C4C\Mods, but I don't have a C4C\Mods.
Sorry for the basic questions...
Just make "Mods" folder inside C4C and extract it there
Thank you, but I'm still having trouble.
While I was able to simply create C4C\Mods in the root of my Civ4Col folder (C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization) and then successfully unzip Dale's AODII mod/extention, when extracting MareNostrum to this same folder using WinRAR, I get a series of errors, saying that the specified path could not be found.
Just try to unrar the mare nostrum archive in the same folder you downloaded the file. Then move the extracted 'MareNostrum' folder to 'Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\mods'.
Just checking because if they way you phrased your post, so might be wrong here,but your path should be: C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\Mods(\Mare Nostrum), not C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\C4C\Mods(\Mare Nostrum) or anything like that.
And try what Koma said!
Thanks, I did as you suggested. It looked like it worked, but now I'm not so sure. When I load C4C, and then select Load a Mod, I select Mare Nostrum, C4C "re-loads" and it comes up with the Mare Nostrum mod indicator, but all of the game setup seems to be the same. Same four colonies (E,D,F, and S), same maps, etc. Shouldn't I be seeing something different?
Of course you should be seeing something different.
Your folder structure is wrong. Here is the correct one:
Hey, that was it Koma. Thanks a lot.
I'm still working on updating 6 and now that dale says AoD2 is complete with 1.11b I'm looking to integrate it as well.
One question - lumber being used for hammers. works fine in colonization but it feels off for mare Nostrum.
i'm thinking of making lumber a prereq resource along with tools for building stuff but for hammers I'm thinking of changing salt to slaves. and make the slave pit work like a stable. consumes food to produce slaves and then your slavedriver (instead of scraftsman) adds hammers. thoughts?
I don't see lumber being used for hammers as an issue. Wood was THE primary working material for most projects. Even if it wasn't made of wood, wood was mostly likely used to make it. Stone temples you say? Wooden scaffolding and wheel barrows I reply. Wood should remain as it is. I'll be DL'ing this tonight to give it a whirl.
good point. that would save me some modding. maybe i'll keep a basic craftshop but have more advance hammer buildings be slve driven.
given the mod as is a playthrough and please recommend fixes, changes, etc. have fun!
Ok...my first visions of this mod. I played about 200 or so turns last night and here are my thoughts.
1) It is quite difficult to tell workers apart from other workers based upon how they look. It took me quite some time to visually tell the difference between a citizen and an expert worker. I don't know who created the units, but they need more color to them. It would be darn helpful if the 'expert worker' had a shovel or axe, something in his hands to differentiate him from other units. Unless I zoom in real close, all of the workers look alike. For the most part, they're all wearing white togas. Not very helpful.
2) Where are the archers?! I accept that Col2 had only Muskets, Cavalry, and Cannon, but in this era, there archers were a main part of any decent army. It's not like we have a shortage of ancient era units. I'm not saying that every single type of ancient era unit needs to be brought in, but we should at least have archers.
3) The AI...Woof. I played on a HUGE, Faire Weather (I think that was the map), map at Patriot level with all the AI's - I was that scorpion africa guy. By turn 200, every AI colony had at least 2 colonies, with a 2 having 3. I was at 3 myself but there was a huge difference. I had about as much population as all of the AI colonies combined. The tribes were not much better. Starting out on the map, I opened WB and saw that the tribes had 2, max 3 cities and that was it. Colony defense doesn't appear to be an AI concern as I took out the Egyptians with little difficulty.
4) The map was big but largely unpopulated. It made for training new citizens a nightmare. I gave myself some scouts and visited each tribe city to get an idea of how various skills were spread out. This is a part I'll never get with Col2...I found cities inland with no lakes yet they could train my people as expert fishermen. What is the mechanism that determines what a tribal city can teach? The lack of AI tribal cities is a real setback but at least buying the peeps on the docks remained dirt cheap for all 200 or so turns.
5) Some terrain features only allow for 1 kind of resource to be worked. I had a hill that had a forest with a river tile next to it. I expected I'd be able to at least pull lumber, ore, and food, maybe even furs (if furs exist in this mod...I'm not sure if they do or don't). I found I could only work lumber on that tile. I went so far as to 'personalize' the map and found a city. Same thing. It seems that forests block other resources. When I get home, I'll try and grab a screen capture of this.
6) Why are dyes located in the sea? I was under the impression that dyes were largely crushed vegetable matter or the like? This leads me to another issue, which isn't just related to this mod, but to all of Col2 in general. Why are resources tied to terrain? Last I checked, corn could be grown just about anywhere and cows aren't very particular about the location so long as they have food and water. Why is silver only to be found on tundra hills? For that matter, why are deer and furs also only to be found in the tundra? New Jersey and New York, my childhood playgrounds have plenty of deer and fur bearing critters, yet they are definitely not a part of the tundra?! So, back to my original question, why are dyes located in the sea? Can we remove this knot that binds resources to specific terrain? Incidentially, I like that you've added the feature of 'discovering' a resource when a terrain is improved a certain way. I've done that to every mod I play in CIV4...I really ought to do that with Col2 too.
7) The mod lacks a certain, je ne sais quoi about it. The lack of interaction between tribes and colonies was only interrupted by that senator every once in a while. Granted this is a BETA and not a full release so it's expected but I can't help thinking this is a piece of coal waiting to be turned into a diamond. Still, I don't find myself fully immersed into it the way I do with AODII. I figured that under the 2nd most difficult level, I'd at least be given a moment or 2 to compose myself before the barbarian poker was inserted but that never happened.
8) Events...are events even possible in Col2? They would REALLY spice up the game. We need plagues, city fires, barbarian hordes, earthquakes, volcanoes, etc. We need to see the gods being angered in this mod.
So there you have it...my thoughts thus far.
Just an update - started a new game. Got a CTD when right clicking on a treasure unit to move to my only city. I've encountered this type of CTD twice so far.
Also there is a problem with the naming of some of the tribal cities. I've encountered 5 cities now that display the following text: TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_NURI, _PHILAE, _KHARTOUM, _NAQA, _DABOD - all from the Numidian tribe.
I'm working with E to integrate a modified AoD2 into MN specific for this mod. This should help overcome this feeling.
yep and its appreciated! I noticed MN was suffering by being based off of the weaker civ4col, but AoD2 will make it the way it should be.
Any new developments? Just downloaded beta 5 today and so far I really like it.
Dale is updating AoD2 and I'm integrating it with that
I've just uploaded the changes needed to integrate 1.12 AoD2.
Does anyone have a copy of the Mare Nostrum 003 I could use for testing the home cities on the map mod? I am attempting to help add this to the Wild West mod and could use a working version? Or, is there any attempt to update the HomeCities mod for 005?
in the menu, Egyptian is spelled "Aegyptian" i dont know if it was intended.
Separate names with a comma.