Beta V0.05 - Download, Issues, Discussion

Good news @canexpthat , JRL has sent me the file! :)

I've repacked it (got it down from the old 259MB rar file to 211MB with 7zip!) and uploaded a copy of the mod to CivFanatics servers. Should @Ekmek return to CFC he can change his original post download link to this safe CFC one instead of the long gone WPC one.
https://www.civfanatics.com/users/downloads/civ4col/MareNostrum_BETA_5.7z

Let me know if there's any other important mods out there missing and I'll see what I do. :)

The game crashes when I try to play it. Just in case, can you upload the old 259 MB version as well?
Has anyone else had problems trying to play the game?

Thanks

Sorry I don't have the original rar file anymore as there was no need for it. However me extracting the rar and recompressing the files in 7zip would have absolutely no permanent effect whatsoever on the contents unless the archive was damaged and if it was damaged you'd get errors when trying to extract the files. And I certainly didn't change/tamper with the files in any way either so it's prob some issue with the mod beta.

Unfortunately I don't have Civ4Col installed atm.. but I'll give the mod a try at some point and see how I go.

Last edited:
I have a file MareNostrum_BETA_5,rar
Sorry I don't have the original rar file anymore as there was no need for it. However me extracting the rar and recompressing the files in 7zip would have absolutely no permanent effect whatsoever on the contents unless the archive was damaged and if it was damaged you'd get errors when trying to extract the files.

Unfortunately I don't have Civ4Col installed atm.. but I'll give the mod a try at some point and see how I go.

Thank you, Blake00.

Did you have any problems playing the mod, JRL? I see an Assets folder and a PublicMaps folder. The Black Sea and Western Med python files in PublicMaps gave Python Exception errors when I load the mod. Eliminating the white space in those file names got rid of those errors. But even after that, when I try to start a game, it crashes. To be more specific, when I click Play Now, it goes to the screen with the menu for leaders, and then crashes. When I click Custom Game, it lets me choose the customization options, and then when I click Launch, it crashes.

Thank you, Blake00.

Did you have any problems playing the mod, JRL? I see an Assets folder and a PublicMaps folder. The Black Sea and Western Med python files in PublicMaps gave Python Exception errors when I load the mod. Eliminating the white space in those file names got rid of those errors. But even after that, when I try to start a game, it crashes. To be more specific, when I click Play Now, it goes to the screen with the menu for leaders, and then crashes. When I click Custom Game, it lets me choose the customization options, and then when I click Launch, it crashes.
I played it and it did not crash. In fact, it was a lot of fun, which is not how I remembered it 10 years ago. Not that I have any affection whatsoever now for that time period or anything. I played on a standard mediterranean map as the Romans.

@canexpthat
Be careful if you use a Linux OS. Most of these mods were made for Windows only these days.
E.g. Upper / lower cases, blanks, ... in file names and paths matter much more in Linux than in Windows.
Some of these old mods may working perfectly fine in Windows but still crash in Linux.

Thank you everyone for all the responses

What is it with these things, because I just tried it again, and now it works :crazyeye:

I don't know how the game works, but I think it has to do with the game trying to load(?) maps or settings that were used in the last mod you played?
When I opened the game, it gave me a bunch of errors related to the Mediterranean.py map (which I hadn't really seen before in my previous attempts at playing the game that ended in crashes)... and the game didn't crash and it loaded everything fine. (For the record, I'm on Windows and not the Steam version.)

Also, for some reason, the game crashes when I try to start a game after loading Col with a shortcut that tells it to automatically load the mod. Instead, if I load vanilla Col, it gives me the Mediterranean python errors, and then go to Advanced, Load a Mod to load the Mare Nostrum mod, and then start a game that way, it doesn't crash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom