Better Ship Scale

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio Dev
Better Ship Scale

Description:

Better Ship Scale Basic: This minor mod changes the scale between ships, making modern ones bigger and the ancient ones smaller. This was something that bothered me in vainilla civ, as destroyers were substancially small than frigates. Compatible with the 1.61 patch. Now there is a Warlords compatible version.

Better Ship Scale Fleets: Now version 2.0 is renamed Better Ship Scale Fleets. In this version I remade many ships as fleets. See screenshot below. Compatible with the 1.61 patch. Now there is a Warlords compatible version.

Both are Mac Compatible!

Version History:

Better Ship Scale Basic:

v1.0 - Initial Release

v1.1 - Made some changes to the scale of ships, making them bigger. Removed the changes to air units.

Better Ship Scale Basic - Warlords:

v1.0 - Initial Release. For Warlords only.

Better Ship Scale Basic - BTS:

v1.0 - Initial Release. For BTS only.

Better Ship Scale Fleets:

v1.0 - Initial release. I´ve made fleets of three ships for the ancient and medieval ships, and well as work boats and transports. The subs are two.

v1.1 - Made the ships sound better - Changed Ironclads from 3 to 2 ships - Minor scales changes.

v1.2 - Changed the scale of most ships, made them bigger most of the time. (For those who wanted it, I´ve made the carrier bigger) - Changed subs from 2 to 1.

v1.3 - Changed the scale the of the modern ships, making them much bigger. Also removed the changes to air units.

Better Ship Scale Fleets - Warlords:

v1.0 - Initial Release. For Warlords only.

Minor "Issues":

- In the Fleets version the battles are one on one, as any other option made the ships overlap with each other. If I wanted them to fight at the same time, I would need to greatly change the formation XML, and I don´t have the necesary skill.

- Also I don´t like the diagonal position of the lateral ships in the Fleets version. I don´t know how to change the unit formations xml, to make the 3 ships look to the front. I tried to modify the formations XML, but the ships sometimes look where I want them to and sometimes not. There is a ramdom factor I can´t decipher. If anyone knows and want to do it, you´re welcome to it.

Thanks to: PrinceO'Persia for giving me this new idea of multiple ships. :goodjob:

Hope you like it! :)

Instructions:

For Basic and Fleets: Put in CustomAssets folder in My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4

For Basic and Fleets Warlords: Put in CustomAssets folder in My Games\Warlords

For Basic BTS: Put in CustomAssets folder in My Games\Beyond the Sword

Download:

Basic v1.1: Download!

Basic - Warlords v1.0: Download!

Basic - BTS v1.0: Download!

Fleets v1.3: Download!

Fleets - Warlords v1.0: Download!

Basic, Fleets, Basic-Warlords and Fleets-Warlords ScreenShots:

Better Ship Scale Basic.jpg Better Ship Scale Fleets.jpg Better Ship Scale Basic - Warlords.jpg Better Ship Scale Fleets - Warlords.jpgBetter Ship Scale Basic - BTS.jpg

Brilliant!

I don't use ships much, but this has always bugged me.

PS -- you might want to include a readme file with the same directory information included in your post.

PS -- you might want to include a readme file with the same directory information included in your post.

Done it! :)

I tried it, but when you zoom out it overlaps adjacent squares, so I left it "smaller" :)

If you install it in custom assets in my documents there shouldn´t be any file overwrite... Unless you have a mod like 5 unit formations or 10+1 regiments... Hope I´ve been of help. :)

I´m happy that you like it! If anyone has any suggestion or request feel free to ask!

Nice mod but try adding a sharper sample image in the first post ;).

I wanted to save some space, and I think I went overboard :p

I going to put a nicer one now... :)

A brilliant idea, excellent work! Downloading :)

I played around with the XML file and end up scaling all the other units too. I made them all smaller by 0.04 and now IMO it looks better. :p

Well, I think because they are alittle too large for my taste (the foot units at least).

This was the only graphical thing that annoyed me. Sometimes small efforts make great improvements. Thank you very much.

Personally i prefer the original sizes, because it makes all the units easier to see when zoomed out at maximum, which is the zoom level i always use. But then again i prefer Civ 1 units (2D images in a box) over Civ 4 units, because they're easier to tell apart.

Thanks! Good that you like it!

Top Bottom