1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Beyond Earth Factions

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Haphaz, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

Looks good, but it seems we won't be going beyond the most revealed leaders so far (Fielding, Sochua, Kavitha, Barre) for a while yet.

2. Liex

Liex King

Yeah, two more weeks, at least. And then I bet they're going to leave the leaders aside to talk about something else (aliens, units, virtues etc.).

3. 3of5

3of5 Recycling Vats Technician

There is definitely some "Kimiko Ross" in her. I like that. It seem that faction stats are indeed sculpted on the leaders, not on the faction (the PAC not being that hot on reasearch as Daoming Soucha is).

Interesting is also the notion of the "inflection point" hinting at a looming collapse of society due to ressource scarcity. Thats why supremacy/purity has to get back and rescue the now stagnant humanity from a never ending dark age. Harmony you're out... Earth needs us.

4. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

One of the reasons I think those "Faction stats" might not actually be stats at all, they might just be AI personalities (ie Napoleon is "strong at war" even though the French have no particular military bonus)

Especially since they said the PAC gets a bonus to production, but that is not mentioned for them in the 'strong/weak' lists for the four we know.

5. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

Looks like both Sochua's contemporaries in this conference are firmly for a Purity approach (hold on dearly to what they know).
    Sochua herself OTOH...
    So, two new elements of the Great Mistake? South China Sea War and Korean Crises?

6. Liex

Liex King

I'm glad to see the PRC and other countries being mentioned, I though they would just omit most political entities from the present.

I hope you're right, but there are hints of both situations:

7. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Looks like the two officials at the conference are biased against Daoming because of her mixed Chinese-Khmer heritage. At least from one of their comments towards the end before getting cut off.Oh Mainland China...still racist towards non "pure" Chinese. :p Despite the Chinese having assimilated people of other ethnic/linguistic backgrounds (Mongolic, Tungusic, Turkic, Hmong-Mien, Tai-Kadai, Austro-Asiatic, Tibeto-Burman etc.)

8. m15a

m15a Emperor

I find that aspect of the story to be pretty interesting. I had that sense of prejudice (within the story) from the other details we've been given so far, too. It's not a utopian prejudice-free future nor is it (from what we've seen so far) a major escalation of prejudices . . the sense I get is that people haven't really changed much even though they probably should have. I guess that makes sense since the factions are working together to some extent even though they still differentiate themselves.

9. SupremacyKing

SupremacyKing Prince

10. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

Oh, that's a nice one.
    It seems to indicate that the African Union only has the resources available to mount an expedition to settle on one world, led by Barre?

11. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

No Barre will be Going to one world (as he obviously can't go to multiple ones simultaneously)
    However PAU has (some of) the resources for multiple Seedings... basically it has the raw materials but not the infrastructure or human capital for multiple Seedings.

Interesting details

PAUs power stretches into the Congo, Nigeria, Kenya, Egypt, and Libya (so probably all of continental Africa... maybe missing Morocco)

PAC and ARC import significant resources from PAU

12. SupremacyKing

SupremacyKing Prince

Also, it seems that the PAU plays some nasty political stunts on the PAC to get around the fact that they can't honor their contracts with them. I bet Wu won't be too happy when she bumps into Barre on the new planet!

13. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

You forgot Somalia. ;)

If I'm not mistaken, An Wu won't be leaving Earth. And according to Sochua's panel discussion, Wu is a he. ;)

14. 3of5

3of5 Recycling Vats Technician

Wu won't be on planet and Daoming Sochua could'nt care less about ressource shortfalls on earth, while she is building up her electronics infrastructure.

I must confess that i am a bit disappointed though. 200 years is along time for the ressource rich united afric not to have developed even though western and eastern powers have nearly collapsed in teh wake of the great mistake. But this is all in line with the projected scenario being much more likely at around 2100 then 2200.

15. SupremacyKing

SupremacyKing Prince

oops. My bad. I confused Wu and Soshua.

16. A Bucket O Spam

A Bucket O Spam Chieftain

Edit: Ah, it was a re-post, nevermind.

I do find it intriguing, however, how this letter is very connected with the other two factions whose blogs we have seen.

17. Karl0413

Karl0413 Prince

Part of me wants to role-play as the guy and part of me wants to play either the ARC or the PAC and crush his butt. What to do first? Decisions, decisions.... :mischief:

18. bouncymischa

bouncymischa Synthetic Genie

One of the things I found interesting was the last line, where Barre comments on his dislike for priests. I remember back when they were revealing the general flavors for each faction, and PAU (if I remember correctly) was somewhat anti-religion, which some people found odd. So it would seem that the faction's biases are more a reflection of their leader's personal biases?

19. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Who said Africa did not Also collapse in the Great Mistake?

The scenario is at ~2200 AD (I think 2214)
    [Planetfall is 2600 AD]

It makes sense. I think the actual "faction ability" UA will only affect 1 or 2 things (PAC is the only UA revealed as a production bonus... but that is not listed as one of the things their AI favors)
    The list they gave seemed more like the AI preferences

I was referring to newly confirmed info... but you are right also Somalia

20. Liex

Liex King

IMO, Barre is the easy answer, as I love a story about vengeance or success against the odds.

But what I can't really wait is the article about Kavitha! I hope it's the transcript of a public speech or something very passionate.