Well here's my speculation for the other six factions:

American Reclamation Corporation
Panasian Cooperative
European Ecological Community (?)
Pan-Arab Aeronautic and Space Union
African Conglomerate
Some Latin American faction lead by Brazil
Some faction lead by Russia
A Commonwealth Space Agency [Canada, Australia, UK, etc.] (???)

With a lot of money. Meaning, once spaceflight comes more commercial, they're going to be one of the first ones to say "build me a spaceship to bug out" when Earth is getting full. Seeing how spaceflight is doing exactly that (e.g. SpaceX, Virgin Galactic), I don't see that as unrealistic.

At which point it would become problematic, because do they care enough about money at that moment?

They gotta trade something. And money is that something.

In a future where ressources are rare you will realize that money does neither fuel your machines nor fill your stomach. ;)
I don't say money will be worthless, but it will become a much more problematic and non universal trade good.

So in light of this argument I say, that the only reason for an arabian/north african faction would be, that they already bought so many ressources and tech before the crisis really started to engulf the planet.

In a future where ressources are rare you will realize that money does neither fuel your machines nor fill your stomach. ;)
I don't say money will be worthless, but it will become a much more problematic and non universal trade good.

So in light of this argument I say, that the only reason for a a arabian/north african faction would be, that they already bought so many ressources and tech before the crisis really started to engulf the planet.

If only those Arab states had some sort of useful resource they could trade :rolleyes: .

Of course it depends on the exact details of "The Great Mistake", but from what it seems the rest of the world will probably still need oil. What you're saying would apply much more to rich nations with few natural resources, like Japan.

At which point it would become problematic, because do they care enough about money at that moment?
It all depends on how close the catastrophe and the End Of The World As We Know It is. If you can buy yourself a nice life for the next 30 years and the world goes under in 60-70... yeah, people would probably care. While the rich dudes are more concerned about their children, they legacy. And, perhaps, you offer them some free seats for their kids as part of the payment.

Even if there's the end of the world in 30 years from now on, until then, I will need some money to keep myself from starving. Can't worry about what happens then if you have to worry about the now.

If only those Arab states had some sort of useful resource they could trade :rolleyes: .

Of course it depends on the exact details of "The Great Mistake", but from what it seems the rest of the world will probably still need oil. What you're saying would apply much more to rich nations with few natural resources, like Japan.

The arabian oil won't even last through this century, they are already investing heavily in solar and hydro energy solutions. Without their oil they only have sand, heat and sun. No water, no abudant minerals (that we know of). But of course you are right that this would also be very problematic for many other people.

I guess in the BE story the arabian states emerged as a super power of their own during "our time", maybe expanding into unclaimed regions of ressources later on. Parts of africa or maybe the depths of the oceans.

They still have a lot of oil reserves, more than 50% of the world's oil reserves.

I start to think that the 7-9 political spheres we are suggesting may not cover all countries of the Earth. I then realized that few years after "The Seeding". Scandinavia revolt from EU. Japan-Korea and Southeast Asia from PAC. Two parts of Africa is quarreling, Mexico-Caribbean and Australia get enough resource. This series of revolt and conflict make what would be called "The Chaos". As these new nation-sphere and international organization have resource to make another "Seeding", with newer propulsion. They will make what will be called "The Exodus".

and we will have what we called "The expansion".

As they have these three huge "affinities" in place, the factions will be more diverse and not as single minded as we knew them in AC or even Civ. Following the Harmony affinity will probably be as eco as it gets. ;D

Well the factions seem to be more based around a method of winning apart from the affinities.

Brazillia was listed as being militaristic..
So probably
science oriented faction
culturally oriented faction
affinity oriented faction
Tall production oriented faction
Wide oriented faction
"economic" oriented faction
a second different military oriented faction

America is probably scientific.
Europe is probably economic.
And Asia is probably cultural.

Alongside a Scandinavian Alliance, Oceanic Australo-Canadian Alliance.. I can totally see a Mexican Caribbean Alliance.

I could be entirely wrong about this (I am), but here I speculate:

American Reclamation Corporation (Canada & USA)
Panasian Cooperative (East Asia)
India (Self-explanatory)
European Union
Latin America
Islamic Claims (MENA Region)
Not That Oceania
African Union (Sub-Saharan Africa)

This list doesn't of course cover the entire world. Where does Central Asia fit into this picture? Is Turkey to be considered Middle Eastern or European? What about The Caribbeans? Indonesia? Then there's the whole plausibility thing, e.g. how likely is it that China and Japan will play under the same flag? Et cetera.

I could be entirely wrong about this (I am), but here I speculate:

American Reclamation Corporation (Canada & USA)
Panasian Cooperative (East Asia)
India (Self-explanatory)
European Union
Latin America
Islamic Claims (MENA Region)
Not That Oceania
African Union (Sub-Saharan Africa)

This list doesn't of course cover the entire world. Where does Central Asia fit into this picture? Is Turkey to be considered Middle Eastern or European? What about The Caribbeans? Indonesia? Then there's the whole plausibility thing, e.g. how likely is it that China and Japan will play under the same flag? Et cetera.
I think there could be a faction covering the steppe-based cultures/regions like central-asia, turkey, mongols and huns. They could be called the Horde ( or a more galactic sounding name).

I really got the feeling that these may be private companies SPONSORED by states.

Brazilia, besides being a typo of Brasília, may as well be the name of the consortium sponsored by the Brazilian state.

Also, for those who don't know (for some God-forsaken reason) Brasília is the capital of Brazil, so it's an odd name to go for. That's why I think it's not "Brazil" - it's something related to Brazil, but not Brazil or the Brazilian state. Hence a private, even if publicly-funded, company.

Top Bottom