Beyond Earth Factions

The first major modpack will prolly be the beginning of a total conversion to SMAX, like Planetfall (so many hours drained) in CivIV and the attempt at an AC mod for CivV.

Yep. And I'm completely, completely, on board with this. I'd volunteer if I knew anything about modding in the Civ5 engine, but my experience is long past relevant.

I never played SMAC but, having factions based on ideology or some philosophy looked really interesting. Games like SMAC potentially have some meaning behind it even if it isn't obvious.

Most of these factions sound silly if you ask me. Hopefully theirs a good background story to them. I would prefer Firaxis did take "The Clash of Civilizations" by Samuel Huntington to heart or for inspiration for Civ:BE. I could imagine Humanity split into more defined definitions of Western,Orthodox, Oriental, Latin... in the future and through technological progress on the new planet specific ideology becomes more of an issue. If it was based on "The Clash of Civilizations."

Hope if they do, they don't make it too culturally focused and accidentally end up stereotyping. They also shouldn't make them too simple in terms of story, each leader in SMAC had a good point to make but they all took it to the extreme. Different factions should also still be able to ally based on their ideologies, as long as they don't have anything too much in opposition.

Also, North America and Europe seem like they may go on diverging pathways in the future, though still having close ties. The two were lumped into the Western sphere in Clash of Civilizations. BE already looks like it's reflecting this though.

I think China wouldn't miss being head of Panasian cooperative. I honestly can't imagine Pan-"asian" coexist as separate entity with China.

The Pan-asian leader's name, Daoming Sochua, seems to be Chinese and Khmer (albeit that may be wrong, I only did a quick google and facebook search), so I think you're right. China won't have it's own faction and the Pan-asian Cooperative represents the Far East and Southeast Asia as a whole.

I wonder if the American Reclamation Project has something to do with an eventual loss of the american status of global hegemony, and now the US are trying to rescue its former status by any means necessary.

The Pan-asian leader's name, Daoming Sochua, seems to be Chinese and Khmer (albeit that may be wrong, I only did a quick google and facebook search), so I think you're right. China won't have it's own faction and the Pan-asian Cooperative represents the Far East and Southeast Asia as a whole.

I would be very disappointed if they did this. For anyone who knows anything about SEAsia, it would be very difficult to imagine any time in the near future where a significant number of countries would agree to any political union with China. Japan? Absolutely no way. Singapore? Almost as much hate for the PRC as Japan. Malaysia? Indonesia? I think that Korea would even prefer to work with Japan over China, and that is saying A LOT. Don't even get started on Taiwan!

Anyways, while I know harping on real life contemporary international relations is a bit silly, but I would hope that there would be a least some relation to reality in these organizations. In fact, I think we have an opportunity for two strong Asian factions among the 8 if we look at it from a more realistic angle, on centred on the PRC and the other on E/SEAsian political origins.

It takes place in 2200, China could be nicer by then. The United States was barely significant 200 years ago, Europe owned half the globe, and the train wasn't even invented yet.

It takes place in 2200, China could be nicer by then. The United States was barely significant 200 years ago, Europe owned half the globe, and the train wasn't even invented yet.

I suppose you are right. A great example of how we entrench current political/cultural/social views and treat them as natural, inevitable and unchangeable on my part. =)

I would be very disappointed if they did this. For anyone who knows anything about SEAsia, it would be very difficult to imagine any time in the near future where a significant number of countries would agree to any political union with China. Japan? Absolutely no way. Singapore? Almost as much hate for the PRC as Japan. Malaysia? Indonesia? I think that Korea would even prefer to work with Japan over China, and that is saying A LOT. Don't even get started on Taiwan!

Anyways, while I know harping on real life contemporary international relations is a bit silly, but I would hope that there would be a least some relation to reality in these organizations. In fact, I think we have an opportunity for two strong Asian factions among the 8 if we look at it from a more realistic angle, on centred on the PRC and the other on E/SEAsian political origins.

Who said membership in the PAC was voluntary?

(I personally hope it actually lives up to its name, also including India, eastern Russia, central Asia, Turkey, Arabia, and Israel.)

Either that or it only consists of taiwan&n. vietnam

I wonder if the American Reclamation Project has something to do with an eventual loss of the american status of global hegemony, and now the US are trying to rescue its former status by any means necessary.

It's actually American Reclamation Corporation. I suspect they are set up around trying to make land that has been blighted with pollution or radiation livable again.

They continually say that they are referencing sci-fi movies, shows and books. I can totally see a Dredd style Megacity scenario happening in the US, where major city blocs are turned into giant walled conurbations with the said walls protecting against fallout.

My bet is that with global warming America experienced a massive dustbowl in it's central farmlands, as the grain belt moved north towards Canada. The reclamation project could be about reclaiming those farmlands from the deserts they became.

Who said membership in the PAC was voluntary?

(I personally hope it actually lives up to its name, also including India, eastern Russia, central Asia, Turkey, Arabia, and Israel.)

Either that or it only consists of taiwan&n. vietnam

Going to say your first sentence. Haha

But some Southeast Asia nation already leaning toward China (namely Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos) some are leaning toward "the West", the rest is neutral. When western influence in the region is gone. China will easily "cooperate" with the whole region.

Mongolia would being part of PAC. Former Soviet territory (in Asian part) would join Russian. India and Arab League probably have superpower status and won't give in to "Asian" thing in PAC. They would even made their own faction. :)

If we're going for my little BE=Next War in the future theory:
the ARC is pretty much America Inc
there will be a Europe faction
The PAC will control the area controlled by Eastasia in 1984
Brazilia will own South America
Egypt or Northern Africa will be a faction, and controls most of northern Africa and the Sahara
There may be some Templars
Russia will probably be a faction
Maybe India or Japan, both having space programs (and also, Space Japan seems to be a stock for every sci-fi not involving an overreaching United Earth colonial program)

From the video does it look like global warming is at least part of what caused earths downfall. This should result in the radicalizing of the greens, no longer willing to just talk about reducing CO2 and pollution. A group of well organized armed eco fundamentalist, who want to destroy any city and kill any being that pollutes.

This could be a global alliance or maybe an European/Scandinavian alliance.

Top Bottom