Beyond earth the worst civ game ever - nothing happens

Back in the day when CivBE was in development, I said CivBE would be a 50$ mod (+ Australian Fee) of Civ5, and I remember someone said I am wrong. :) //giggle

At least it is not Ubisoft.

Attachments

• acu-640x400.png
    acu-640x400.png
    336 KB · Views: 194
As much as I want to chime in, as far as I remember Civ V started pretty weak as well. Without the two Addons the game wasn't nearly as good*. So give Beyond Earth some time, let Firaxis patch out the most obvious garbage and add some systems and evaluate again.

*) The modding community made everything much better of course.

Back in the day when CivBE was in development, I said CivBE would be a 50$ mod (+ Australian Fee) of Civ5, and I remember someone said I am wrong. :) //giggle

How can it be a mod if core features are suddenly missing? :p

So give Beyond Earth some time, let Firaxis patch out the most obvious garbage and add some systems and evaluate again.

Time is money. You can't expect Firaxis to become a better game developer if your accountability as a consumer is though well intentioned, intrinsically selfish. While you might be willing to wait and possibly pay for improvements, many will have moved on or worse away.

Case in point: Consumers and pundits are not going to favorably evaluate the next year iteration of Chevrolet simply because they addressed an ignition switch problem that has killed 13 people in the United States. You can expect similar apprehension in any industry.

As a "Middle Aged" Man who has played them (Civs) all I don't know if it`s that I expect more at this stage but I think BE was very disappointing for me and I have not played it since release.

Now I know that once they patch it and we pay more money for the expansions I am sure its going to be a great game like CivV came to be.

I Loved Civ1 as it was the first, I remember playing in to the wee hours of the morning with that one, just one more turn ;)

Two and three were fine, four once expanded upon was very good especially as you could mod it better.

Five again once expanded has been a lot of fun, so I do expect and demand that BE will also be great once expanded upon, just a shame you have to pay even more money to get to that point.

So after playing all the Civs and Colonization and now BE I finally have come to the conclusion that next time I will not pre-order Civ6, I will wait for it to reduce in price then get it...........yeah right cause that's going to happen, not! ;)

At least it is not Ubisoft.

Ubisoft do have ability to make proper/great games. They just rarely use it. :laugh:

Spoiler :

'Assassin's Creed: Unity' Makes A Strong Case For Video Game Recalls - Eric Kain - Forbes.com

"..."
To some degree consumers will always be quality control guinea pigs, especially in huge games with big open worlds and tons of stuff going on. A few stray bugs are tolerable. But consumers should punish truly shoddy releases by voting with their wallets and, even more importantly, getting off the crazy pre-order train. That train runs on hype, and hype plays right into the hands of companies whose priority is releasing a game on time rather than a finished product."

As was demonstrated in Demo vidoes, if you want Apollo to be 'deity' level challenge, turn on:

a) Staggered Starts
b) Rampaging Aliens
c) Quests that never give you early affinity because they are bugged
d) station placement in your ideal expansion spot

This was how the game was tested, and so it is how it was how it was balanced. The AI is built to fight wurms then attack you.

You are also not supposed to be able to:
1) Use purity 1 exploit and clear nests with explorers
2) Let nests repair to farm for science

You are supposed to have 15-16 aliens crawling around your first city and a wurm sitting between your capital and your prime expansion spot, where that STUPID station just landed. Your first two affinity quests are supposed to bug, setting you so far enough back in affinity that your units are worse than the AI(s) until turn 150.

Under the above conditions, the game is balanced.

As was demonstrated in Demo vidoes, if you want Apollo to be 'deity' level challenge, turn on:

a) Staggered Starts
b) Rampaging Aliens

This was how the game was tested, and so it is how it was how it was balanced. The AI is built to fight wurms then attack you.

You are supposed to have 15-16 aliens crawling around your first city and a wurm sitting city between you and your prime expansion spot, where that STUPID station just landed. Your first two affinity quests are supposed to bug, making it impossible to get 5 affinity by just researching affinity unit tech.

In the above scenario, Apollo is hard.

Frenzied aliens makes the game easier since the AI is really bad at dealing with them. You can also take three policies in Might so you can farm them for science, and Ultrasonic Fences mean you can do this with ranged units at no risk to your units at all.

Stations don't make things harder either since you can just destroy them with two rangers and a soldier if they land where you wanted to expand.

Apollo's not hard at all. Maybe the trick to making it tougher would be to put one human player against several AI players who are teamed up.

Frenzied aliens makes the game easier since the AI is really bad at dealing with them. You can also take three policies in Might so you can farm them for science,

This and the explorer exploit are what advanced players are using to make this difficulty 'easy'.

and Ultrasonic Fences mean you can do this with ranged units at no risk to your units at all.Stations don't make things harder either since you can just destroy them with two rangers and a soldier if they land where you wanted to expand.

Building these structures, and destroying the first station, hinder your early development. The game was balanced on the assumption that you had to build ranged troops, ultrasonic fence and clear out a stupid station before you could trade. By this point, all the turn 1 arrivals will be expanding, making it more difficult for you not to expand towards them and elicit an early attack.

Apollo's not hard at all. Maybe the trick to making it tougher would be to put one human player against several AI players who are teamed up.

Turn off staggered starts, and the AI will claim a lot more of the map. Just like in CIV 5, the AI declares war against players which are close to it.

a) Staggered Starts
b) Rampaging Aliens

You are supposed to have 15-16 aliens crawling around your first city and a wurm sitting between your capital and your prime expansion spot, where that STUPID station just landed. Your first two affinity quests are supposed to bug, setting you so far enough back in affinity that your units are worse than the AI(s) until turn 150.

Under the above conditions, the game is balanced.

I have aliens set to frenzied. Sadly they are nonexistent despite being a resident of the planet for thousands of years at minimum. They're more passive than passive barbarians of civ5.

This and the explorer exploit are what advanced players are using to make this difficulty 'easy'.

Not this "advanced player". I won the first game I played on Apollo and took exactly one Might policy. See if you can guess which one!

Not this "advanced player". I won the first game I played on Apollo and took exactly one Might policy. See if you can guess which one!

Adaptive tactics?!

I've done neither of these things in any of the 15 apollo games I've played and it's still too easy. So not sure where that comment is coming from.

Top Bottom