Beyond The Sword is Coming!

Is it possible that a release date will be announced at E3 next week?

I doubt Aspyr Media will be exhibiting alongside Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, EA, or Ubisoft. However, who knows.

Full list of exhibitors currently scheduled to participate:
* 1UP Network
* Akella
* Atari Inc.
* Bethesda Softworks
* Capcom USA Inc.
* Crave Entertainment
* Codemasters
* D3Publisher of America
* Deep Silver
* Disney Interactive Studios, Inc.
* Electronic Arts
* Eidos Interactive
* Fox Interactive Media
* Indie Games
* Jagex, Ltd.
* Konami Digital Entertainment America
* LucasArts
* Majesco Entertainment Company
* Microsoft Corporation
* Midway Games, Inc.
* MTV Games
* Namco Bandai Games America, Inc.
* Natsume, Inc.
* Nintendo of America Inc.
* Novint Technologies, Inc.
* Nyko Technologies
* Rebellion
* SEGA of America, Inc.
* Serious Games Initiative
* Sony Computer Entertainment America, Inc.
* Sony Online Entertainment Inc.
* Southpeak Interactive
* Square Enix USA
* Take-Two Interactive
* Tecmo
* THQ Inc.
* Toshiba America Information Systems
* Ubisoft Entertainment Inc.
* Valve Software
* Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment Inc.

Nice to hear that BTS will finally be coming out for the Mac. I have been so looking forward to it. One can only play so much Warlords. I've been kind of out of the loop since working on some GIS projects, but i still play no matter what.

I'm still confused...Amazon has it slated for release on Monday, but I can't find any form of confirmation of that. Anyone have updated news?

The release date on Amazon is both a guess and wrong. Soon, but not that soon. ;)

Reminds me of a conversation I had with another game publisher a few years ago:

Mmmmm, soon.

Just one more question - is that soon as in "Dinner will be ready soon," or soon as in "The sun will exhaust it's hydrogen supply soon and swell up into a red subgiant?"

And they replied:

I'd say that it's somewhere between the two, but closer to the former than the latter. :)

Somebody knows sum-think - Amazon just changed the release date on the BtS page to: "This item will be released on July 13, 2009."
When it becomes blindingly obvious that their original meaningless guess was wrong, they replace it with another meaningless guess. Amazon release dates mean less than nothing - you're wasting your time by even bothering to look at them.

When it becomes blindingly obvious that their original meaningless guess was wrong, they replace it with another meaningless guess. Amazon release dates mean less than nothing - you're wasting your time by even bothering to look at them.

While I generally agree with your comment, I actually believe this date because Aspyr must have contacted them over the incorrect box art and probably gave them a new date as well. Besides, Brad posted this yesterday in another thread: "We've already frozen the code for a certain app (*cough*)..."

While I generally agree with your comment, I actually believe this date because Aspyr must have contacted them over the incorrect box art and probably gave them a new date as well. Besides, Brad posted this yesterday in another thread: "We've already frozen the code for a certain app (*cough*)..."
I suspect that there would be an official announcement before Amazon got a proper date. I certainly don't think there's any justification for assuming they did, in the complete absence of evidence to support it. Honestly, this seems like pure wishful thinking to me.

Also, code freeze can mean different things in different companies, but neither of the definitions I've encountered is consistent with a solid July date. One definition I've seen is "no changes, the code is finished and now it's time to build and distribute." In that case, July 13 would be surprisingly late. The other definition I know of is "no new code, need to fix the problems with the existing code before release" which would imply that a date is still uncertain. Doesn't mean there aren't other definitions I haven't hit, of course.

I suspect that there would be an official announcement before Amazon got a proper date. I certainly don't think there's any justification for assuming they did, in the complete absence of evidence to support it. Honestly, this seems like pure wishful thinking to me.

Also, code freeze can mean different things in different companies, but neither of the definitions I've encountered is consistent with a solid July date. One definition I've seen is "no changes, the code is finished and now it's time to build and distribute." In that case, July 13 would be surprisingly late. The other definition I know of is "no new code, need to fix the problems with the existing code before release" which would imply that a date is still uncertain. Doesn't mean there aren't other definitions I haven't hit, of course.

If it's the the first definition, July 13 doesn't seem that late. Once a product goes gold, it usually takes at least two weeks to produce it and then another week or two to distribute it. Without knowing the specifics of Aspyr, I'd think early July was just about right. Granted, if it's the second definition, you'd be correct, and no release date would be lined up.

Of course, it could be a combination of the two...maybe they have a solid grasp of the code that needs to be fixed and are able to estimate how long it will take and how long it will take to produce distribute.

...In that case, July 13 would be surprisingly late...

Actually, I think (perhaps wishfully) that it's just about right if BtS is about to go GM. It takes time to assemble the retail packages and get them to Amazon.

I'll avoid wading into the date speculation other than to recommend ignoring anything but a trusted source, but know that at least with our ported projects, a "frozen" game is not truly done until approved by all parties involved, including the PC publisher and sometimes the PC developer too, depending on their interest and/or contractual obligations.

Same with press releases - those must get approved by all interested parties before going out.

So correlate what I've just said with what you sleuths have uncovered on Amazon. I think all the pieces fit together.

And NOW I believe there might actually be something to the date. But not because Amazon said it. ;)

so do people think amazons new date and lack of guitar hero cover mean they are actually rite this time

Top Bottom