1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Beyond The Sword is Coming!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Macintosh' started by cmason, Apr 22, 2009.

1. gfeier

gfeier King

2. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

3. Brad Oliver

Brad Oliver Civ3/4 Mac programmer

This is always appreciated. Thanks.

4. gfeier

gfeier King

Uh-oh. Aspyr DIDN'T know about it, Brad?

5. cmason

cmason Chieftain

Well, I hope they don't wait. Just release it without the latest patch, then work on that and release a mac patch later. Why hold up sales?

6. Aoxomoxoa

Aoxomoxoa Prince

I can't wait! :D

7. DementedAvenger

DementedAvenger Prince

Any word on whether a mac version of Civ IV complete will be available, or would I have to buy both the original and BTS?

8. cmason

cmason Chieftain

Looks like amazon (US) bumped the date to July 25 now, from July 13. I still don't see it listed at all in amazon Canada. :(

9. Conspirator

Conspirator Prince

How the hell can this be taking so bloodly long? I want Civ 4 Complete for my new Mac. When will there be an England release? Looks like I'll have to buy (read: download) parallels AND Windows! Not on, not on at all....

Surely it can't be that much longer. And they had better not stick an obscenely over-priced tag on the thing or I'll be resorting to illegal methods of collection..

- Conspirator

10. cmason

cmason Chieftain

Well, potential good news, Amazon US now switched the date to July 20 after going to the 25th a couple days ago. I think this is the first time they've moved it up rather than back, so maybe a good sign.

I think I'll know for sure when I see it in Amazon Canada though. They wouldn't sell it only on the US site, all software titles are always available in Canada at the same time as the US. So when they finally update the cover art and get it in Amazon Canada, I'll believe it and go ahead and order.

11. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

To remove any doubt, there is no word at all about a Civ4 Complete release. The dates we are seeing being guessed forecast by Amazon are for Beyond the Sword, not Complete.

The only things we know about so far are that you can buy Civ4 Gold (vanilla + warlords) now, and you will be able to buy Civ4 Beyond the Sword .... some time. We can guess that Civ4 Complete may arrive one day, but compilations usually only happen after the profit has been wrung out of the separate releases.

12. cmason

cmason Chieftain

In the past, for example with Civ III, did the "complete" versions come with anything extra that wasn't in the original version and expansion(s)? I already own the original Civ IV and Warlords for Mac. I'm planning to buy Beyond the Sword as soon as it comes out, but I would hate to have a special Complete version come out a month later.

13. Brad Oliver

I should also point out that Civ4 Complete, as sold on the PC, also ships with Colonization.

14. Brad Oliver

It takes quite a long time to add the extra "u"s to all the text and change the random "s" to "c" - localization like that does not happen overnight! ;)

Also, pro-tip: if you're angling for the Windows version, skip Parallels/VMWare, buy only Windows (XP preferably) and use Boot Camp.

15. cmason

cmason Chieftain

First of all, I did not know this. Second of all, is this a hint? :)

I would hate to be the sucker that paid full price for all four versions. Although I am happy to support Mac development.

16. cmason

cmason Chieftain

I know you're joking, but do you actually do this sort of localization? If so, why doesn't Canada get the same treatment? To be honest, the British spelling is close enough, we'd take that. The main difference is we use the 'z' instead of 's' for words such as the name of the product in question. :) But apparently even in the UK, the product is called "Civilization" not "Civilisation".

17. Brad Oliver

I didn't really intend for it to be hint, no - just a reminder that "Complete" is more than just Civ4 + the 2 expansions.

18. Brad Oliver

No, we usually use the localiz(s?)ed text files that Take2 shipped for the various regions that were supported on Windows. We do handle the Mac-specific stuff ourselves, but that's typically a small part of the experience and frequently shared amongst the rest of our ports.

19. Conspirator

Conspirator Prince

Don't suppose you could grace a petty In-Box (i.e. mine) with a 'pro-tip' on the best website/location to *cough* purchase Windows XP, without anything nasty I wouldn't want sneaking about somewhere secretly inside - just a nice clean, stable version..?

Beyond the Sword.... Complete. What is the difference? There are none as far as I'm aware. I've never played Colonization.. any good?

Is the Mac version more stable than the PC? Can I play on the largest maps with the max amount of A.I. and be completely lag and load free even in very late game? Is it worth waiting or or should I just get Windows and run off boot-camp?

- Conspirator

20. Conspirator

Conspirator Prince

Yes, it's true. And highly patronising - it should be Civilisation in England. This spell check for example, it reckons I spelled 'patronising' wrong and should use a 'z' as opposed to the correct 's'. Well that's what I always thought anyhow.

- Conspirator