BFA 6800 GT and "checkerboard" lockup after 5-10 minutes

yadda

Chieftain
After about 5-10 minutes of having civ loaded, the machine locks up with a strange checkerboard pattern:

I have to turn my machine off before it will boot again.

I decided to do some testing to see if I could track down the issue.

I turned the graphics from high (all)/4x over sample to medium (all)/0x over sample. Same lockup, same time frame.

I thought there might be a temperature issue, so I decided to hammer the GPU with futuremark and auqamark to see if I could cause the card to fail. I ran each programs for 4 hours straight without issues. The highest temperature I could get the card to was 79 C (from a start point of 45 C)

Next, I let the game idle (i.e., not playing it) and the lockup still occurred after 5 minutes, so I don't believe it's any kind of "auto save" bug for me (this was mentioned on another thread).

My next test involved hooking in a second monitor to the video card, and keeping all the temp displays (video, cpu, ram, etc) on this monitor while I loaded the game onto the first (original) monitor. As with the previous test, I didn’t play the game, but left it idling at the end of a turn. It locked up in the normal time frame, dropping the checkerboard on both monitors. The video card temp at lockup was 74 C. The CPU, RAM, etc, were within their normal range.

My next test was to open the case and bring in a floor fan. I then ran the floor fan at high speed (from a safe distance), pointed at a 45 degree angle to the case. I then repeated the test above. Failure occurred in the same time frame, this time at 69 C.

I’m not sure what’s causing this problem, but I’m reasonably sure it’s not an overheat issue with my machine. If anyone has a similar issue, post up – let’s see if we can help Firaxis get this one solved.

Some interesting side notes:
[1] The game eats between 48-52 percent of my available CPU, even when at the end of a turn. This is regardless of how much “action” is on the screen, i.e., over a city full of activity, or looking over an unexplored (completely black) part of the map.

[2] Some people are reporting a memory leak. I can confirm that the memory used by the game goes up each turn, but I’m not sure if it’s a leak, or if the game is just pulling needed memory. At “idle”, the games memory usage on my machine did not change.

[3] As a final test, I ran the game, but moved the view area over an unexplored part of the world (everything on the view area of the screen was black). Same lockup time, same normal video/cpu/ram temps.

[4] Like other reports, I also get the weird mini map graphics (banded horizontal lines) at certain zoom levels.

[5] I can play every other modern game out there - BF2, Doom 3, WOW, EQ2, etc with the graphics turned up to max settings without issues.

[6] I installed the game onto an older computer with GeForce 4 card. To date, no issues on the older machine. It’s just dog slow.

Machine Specs:
Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 FX-55
BFA 6800 GT Video Card (using nvidia 81.85 driver)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Plat Pro (latest driver from creative)
480W Power Supply
Two Sticks of 512 PC-3200 DDR
Windows XP SP2
DirectX 9.0c (also let the CIV4 installer do it’s install of DX9.0c as well).
Scanned all logical volumes before starting any testing
Defragged all logical volumes before starting any testing

ReconSOC said:
Same thing here -

I posted in this thread.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=133686&page=2

Tech support has no clue... this is even off a fresh install of Win XP.

Doh!

My install isn't fresh, but it's good to know I won't have to go that far to troubleshoot this one :)

I'm beating up my machine with an 8 hour memtest (prime95) now. After that, I'll try yanking my sound card and playing.

Not really sure where to go after that...

same here:( Im going to try my good'ol ti4200 later tonight and see if that helps. Im like you I can play BF2 for hours on end with not a single hiccup.

p4p800
6800gt 256
1gb
audigy2 zs

yadda said:
Doh!

My install isn't fresh, but it's good to know I won't have to go that far to troubleshoot this one :)

I'm beating up my machine with an 8 hour memtest (prime95) now. After that, I'll try yanking my sound card and playing.

Not really sure where to go after that...

I doubt it is a sound card issue because the music and SFX still play AFTER the screen checkerboards... until reboot of course. Hell if I know.

Also - it is not your GFX card overheating. I spoke with BFG tech support for about an hour yesterday, they said anything under 113 C is considered normal. I max at 87C in BF2 and 81C in Civ4.

Well If I counted right there are four people (with my humble self) with this specific 6800GT problem.

But what can be done? Ask Nvidia to look into what causes this. They are experts and they should know what can cause this kind of screen corruption. As I really doubt that Firaxis can pinpoint and correct the "6800GT screen corruption bug". Or can we expect some love from MS and their DX9.0c?

I don't think it is a 6800GT problem. I don't think it is a driver problem. I think it is a Civ 4 problem interfacing properly with the card/driver.

List of games that work:

EQ2
WOW
BF2
Q4
D3
COD2
Guild Wars

Games that exhibit this problem:

Civ 4
FEAR

How would one go about asking Nvidia to look into the issue? Their support says to talk to your video card manufacturer. Perhaps contact BFG again? They blamed it on the game developers.

Same problem here.

A qoute from another thread by me

I have seen that message a few times.

I had alot of problem with the game freezing at more or less random, I have tried several of the sugested fixes on these forums but none have worked, except reduse the number of crashes after i disabled the autosave.

Upgrade to the latest drivers failed somehow, so I decided to make a clean new installation of my PC. Now I have the latest of all my hardware drivers no other program accept Civilizatio IV and it still hang, though not as often as before.

I have the following...

Windows XP Professional, SP2
DirectX 9.0c
Nvidia 6800 128MB, 81.85
1024 MB RAM
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.2GHz

The game and graphics is beutifull and runs very smothe (with one accepting, the globe view is distorted sometimes) untill it freezes up and I have to reboot, or it reboot by itself or rarely it may crash to desktop with an error message of something going wrong with a file called 'nv4_disp.dll'.

I have given upp hope now, must wait for a patch. The game crashes from 5-30 minutes into the game right now.

But still at Nvidia they are experts/masters on this kind of profession. They designed the GPU and they should definitely know what can cause this kind of screen corruption.

Crimson - I agree with you 100%, just don't know if it really is their problem. I really think it is Firaxis' problem.

I am aware of this. But to fix "the screen corruption bug" collaboration between Nvidia and Firaxis (maybe even MS) is pretty much needed. As we don't why is this happening. It could be some kind of combination between DX9 or Windows specific, drivers and the game itself that produces screen corruption.

Only combined effort from involved parties will solve our problem quickly. One to supplies the information, the other (Firaxis) top fix it, unless it's some sort of a driver bug. (Which is even in my opinion not very likely?)

Anyone with 6800GT that can run Civ 4 without problems?

The only thing we know is this:
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4910, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4918, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4926, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4983, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4991, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'
Error : File - ('Civ4Theme_Custom.thm', Ln:4999, Col:47) Could not load bitmap 'Civ4/HUD/city_titlearrows.tga'

And yes, there is no HUD directory in Civ 4 folder? :confused: Results? Game not working properly. (At least there is no: the way it is meant to be played intro. :D )

Crimson Shadow said:
And yes, there is no HUD directory in Civ 4 folder? :confused: Results? Game not working properly. (At least there is no: the way it is meant to be played intro. :D )

A HUD directory with numerous files was placed in my Civ4 folder when I installed the game.

I moved the file to the HUD folder and then I erased the logfile, there have not been any new information in the log since then, though it has not done anything to my situation.

I have run some more tests now. When I play un a huge map with 18 civilizations, tested both on maxed graphics and on medium. The CPU are at 100% all the time, even when I don't even do anything just looking at the screen.
It takes around 600-650MB memory, from my 200-230 normal usage.

The game freezes after about 5-10min now...

My temp on the CPU are normal as is the GPU...

I'm going to do some more tests

I had the exact same problem. And I see that many people with the GF6800GT card are having it too. After 5-30 minutes the machine locks up. What I did was downclock the engine clock and the Memory clock on my gf6800gt. Now I played the game for two and a half hours without any problems.

Ludde said:
I had the exact same problem. And I see that many people with the GF6800GT card are having it too. After 5-30 minutes the machine locks up. What I did was downclock the engine clock and the Memory clock on my gf6800gt. Now I played the game for two and a half hours without any problems.

Ludde, how did you downclock the card? I'm not sure where to do this.

Yadda, if you are using an nvidia card you can download a file called coolbits.reg to add an overclocking tab to the base driver. There are also a variety of third party utilities like RivaTuner that can be used to adjust your GPU/Mem clocks. You should be able to find coolbits and RivaTuner at www.guru3d.com or through a simple google search.

Raezal said:
Yadda, if you are using an nvidia card you can download a file called coolbits.reg to add an overclocking tab to the base driver. There are also a variety of third party utilities like RivaTuner that can be used to adjust your GPU/Mem clocks. You should be able to find coolbits and RivaTuner at www.guru3d.com or through a simple google search.

Thanks Raezal, trying it out now.

Ludde said:

And another thing. Please inform us if Civ 4 is capable to run for an entire day on downclocked GPU. For some of us it could be useful info. :D When you will have time.

If any at Nvidia reads this, downclocking GPU is not a solution for extremely heavy 3D calculation like in FEAR, where every FPS counts. Please, present if possible a solution for 6800GT users.

I know that this forum is Civ related but anyway. Does 6800Ultra has the same problems with FEAR and Civ 4 of course?

Top Bottom