Bjørn's Discount Art Emporium

Your wonder splash for Leif's Voyage is excellent!! :goodjob: :goodjob:

Just found this thread, as Gator linked me from SGOTM. I'm going to attempt to make an avatar out of it. Thanks, your work is really cool! :clap: :hatsoff: :worship:

leif erikson said:
Your wonder splash for Leif's Voyage is excellent!! :goodjob: :goodjob:

Just found this thread, as Gator linked me from SGOTM. I'm going to attempt to make an avatar out of it. Thanks, your work is really cool! :clap: :hatsoff: :worship:

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy it. As I type at you, I'm wearing a Leif Erikson t-shirt
on the front it has Columbus being greeted by a couple of norwegian speaking Indians "Nei, er det du Columbus?"... English meaning is "No, is that you Columbus (implication is "what took you so long"), on the back it simply says "Leif landed first".
I learned recently that an attempt at a peace offering may have backfired and was what might be the root cause of why the Leif & gang were driven off by the "Skralings". Story goes that the vikings were trying to make nice with the locals (since they'd lived in the neighborhood for around 30 years or so). They had a feast, all was well until they served cheese to a group of people that had never had dairy products, and were consequently horribly lactose intolerant. The indians all made it home before things started happening, but they then figured the vikings had tried to poisen them and decided to drive them off or kill them no matter what the cost.
Late night viewing on the history channel, never know what you might learn...

JuuL said:
Thanks again for your wonderful graphics, but I just wanted to mention that "Nei, er det du Columbus?" is not Indian but Norwegian (being very similar to the Danish "Nej, er det dig Coumbus?")
Glad you enjoy them.. I think you mis-read what I said.
"norwegian speaking indians" means the same indians speaking in Norwegian.
Either way, I like my t-shirt. A surprise gift from my wife (for no reason, not birthday, fathers day, etc).

Bjornlo said:
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy it. As I type at you, I'm wearing a Leif Erikson t-shirt
on the front it has Columbus being greeted by a couple of norwegian speaking Indians "Nei, er det du Columbus?"... English meaning is "No, is that you Columbus (implication is "what took you so long"), on the back it simply says "Leif landed first".
Where did you get the T-Shirt? :cool:

My family lives in Plymouth, MA, home of the infamous rock with 1620 carved into it. When we built our house, we took a huge rock from the foundation hole and put it out in front of the house. I told me wife we would cut 1087 into it to honor Leif's discovery and founding of America. Her family traces to the Pilgrims, so I lost, but never fail to tell anyone who'll listen the story. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And I love all thing Viking on the history channel. :thumbsup:

I think it would have eventually lead to bigger, stronger indians with better boats and primitive steel weapons.
The vikings were incredibly non-xenophobic. There are some countries (cough france cough) were they even pass laws to try and keep foreign ideas and words out. But the Vikings were the opposite. I saw (on the history channel again) a large spoon (for use in a cook pot) they dug up from Ireland. On one side was old norse runes, the other was covered in gallic carvings. The vikings tended to intermarry and blend with the locals where ever they went. So, I guess the same would have happened in vinland.

Apparantly the small Viking settlement that was there for about 4 years had built a forge and were making the first iron based implements in North America. But the settlements were small (around 30) and the Beothuks had much larger numbers and they were forced out. Sadly the Beothuks are now extinct, completely wiped out, due to disease brought over by Europeans.

You see what the other European countries did afterwards over a period of 400 years. Imagine what may have developed over the 500 year head start that the Vikings would have had. There may have been large cities by the time the English, French and Spanish arrived.

That would be an interesting scenario... the Vikings (early middle age) and different native tribes (ancient age) in North America and the Europeans on the other side of the Atlantic, none of them being able to cross the ocean for the first 400-500 years (maybe with Russia, China, Japan and Korea on the other side of the Pacific to make things really interesting? - or maybe that would be too unhistorical). If somebody decides to make something like this, please tell me... I would really like to help

While I'm making requests,

I don't like the Adam Smith Trading Splash, it would be nice if we had a splash that instead of the American Old West trading post, we had a splash with just stock certificates, gold coins and the like.

As well the Intelligence Agency for the Napolean Era can not be the current modern splash, a European building from that era would be better.

A forbidden palace for the Napolean Era.

Last but Not least, there is a Wonder called General Staff School that allows you to build larger armies, currently the spalsh Firaxis is using tis the pentagon, it should be a European building for the Napolean scenario.

I know that it looks like I'm asking you to make them all, they are only requests and of course you will get all the credit.

I just want to get the last 3 scenarios done on my format wonder spalshes.

Pounder said:
@Bjornlo

I'm am going to be working on the Napolean Conquests wonder splashes this week in my format and I would like to use your Naval Academy Splash. Would you be able to make a version with a non civ specific flag. Maybe a flag with an anchor on it.

Sure, do you want the rocky beach (loosely patterned after Bergen) or the more standard Civ beach.
--edit--
Oh just the wonder splash. simpler Do you want the ships in there? If so, with or without any flags?

Pounder said:
While I'm making requests,

I don't like the Adam Smith Trading Splash, it would be nice if we had a splash that instead of the American Old West trading post, we had a splash with just stock certificates, gold coins and the like.

As well the Intelligence Agency for the Napolean Era can not be the current modern splash, a European building from that era would be better.

A forbidden palace for the Napolean Era.

Last but Not least, there is a Wonder called General Staff School that allows you to build larger armies, currently the spalsh Firaxis is using tis the pentagon, it should be a European building for the Napolean scenario.

I know that it looks like I'm asking you to make them all, they are only requests and of course you will get all the credit.

I just want to get the last 3 scenarios done on my format wonder spalshes.

Let me sort through these and see what I can do.

Added a generic Naval Academy.
Not entirely happy with the flags on the ships. I might redo it when I have the time.
Here is a link to the new wonder.
Here is a link the the two versions of the buildings I did to go along with the new version of this wonder.

Pounder, I'll try and get to the other requests fairly soon.

Top Bottom