BK's RAR 2

umm...well zip then cause if playing on dial-up a person would perfer faster download and upload?

What is everyone's connection like?

Mine is cable until at least June, so personally I'd prefer non-zip, but it is up to others.

Regardless, I would like to go with 1.03 if everyone is good with that???

Gnarff, if you want you can play and that will make 6...

Please consider how available you are first, although it seems you were just have some mix ups because you were an "addition" of sorts to WW2 Global and had download problems...post if interested...

BK

Brian, I know Gnarff (fairly well, although through internet only) and he is very conscientious about playing. He has phone modem so he downloads at night (he is the same time zone as us) and plays the next day if the playing is going to be long. I prefer unzipped, but for one pbem, don't mind going with zipped.

The communications is not a bug...as said above...it is with electricity. The bummer to that is that two of the GW's are eliminated with electricity...one of them being Stonehenge (i.e. the freebie grainaries). That was why I had not found it.

@BK...sorry I missed you online, I was probably watching the Patriots vs the Steelers...

The zipping isn't a global setting - it can be set for each player. I have only programmed it to deal with sending zips at this stage - you can't upload zipped saves to the website although this is something I can add in (forgot there were still people on 56k out there :S).

Anyway, it's a minor detail.

I am guessing Gnarff's problem was just with the particular scenario...they can be a bugger to install.

Alright, Gnarff, you give me your details and we have 6!!!

Also, Sadu and I are going to try out the PBEM site. Sending start up e-mails this afternoon...they are intended only as a back up... Start will be within a few days and by Friday at the latest (I am busy with some ongoing PBEMs, have college and a job to worry about, and also want to see if the PBEM site is any good).

Please reply if you have received the initial start-up e-mail either in the thread or by e-mail...

Thanks,
BK

I got the start-up e-mail. Also, I'd rather have non-zipped files if possible. It really doesn't bother me that much, it just saves that extra minute to unzip and deal with all those zip folders and such.

I got the e-mail. The file is received and in place. I prefer my sav files unzipped. Like Rcoutme said, I download them at night and play them the next day. If people catch me online to chat, or there's a lot of e-mail, I am late getting to the site some nights. The only problem I've ever had was with big downloads (pulled an all nighter for RAR).

I prefer unzipped, so that is 4, iirc. I got the start email.

I think we will just get started and use "traditional" turn transfer... I will try to talk to Sadu a few more times, but will not wait too much longer...

BK

OK, the website is set up ready to go. Here's the details you need...

Address is http://pbem.fireladder.net/turns.php

Everyone has a username as specified in Brian's intro email. Password for everyone is "password". I'll add a player profile page shortly where you can change this.

The system is simple enough to use. When you visit the page, it will say if it's your turn or not. If it isn't your turn, you can't do a lot on the page.

When it is your turn, some text fields will appear.

Comments for everyone - if you want to post some notes on your turn, this is the place for it. Everyone will get an email sent to them.

Comments for Allies - If you want to enter strategic notes for your allies, enter them here. You need to select your allies each turn using the checkboxes next to everyone's name (given that allies can change at a moments notice).

Comments for next player - These will be included in the email containing the save file when it is sent to the next player.

Attachment - The whole point of this exercise. You must BROWSE into your civ saves folder, and locate the save file. Don't bother renaming it, this is done for you.

When you hit the send button, it will upload your save to the server - this can take a minute or so, depending on file size. Once your save is uploaded, it will send out the emails to everyone, and update the turn counter.

I mentioned above that the site is Beta, ie it still has bugs in it that I need to identify and fix. If the site does jam up while you are sending, please send me an email or msn (address in BK's email) and let me know. It might be a bit erratic for the first few turns, then it should be smooth sailing. It might be worth posting your comments here for the first few turns as well.

Sadu.

Game off and running...file available for rcoutme at the link posted above...

BK of the French

Have the file, will play tomorrow.

Ok, you don't have to post because of the PBEM system...we know where it is...just go as fast as you can, that's all...

Sadu,

If possible, please change my Civ to France and Gnarff's to Babylon...

Thanks,
BK

Done.

FYI, I will be going away for the weekend, and will most likely be away from email. Back Sunday night (sunday morning GMT).

The turn may or may not reach me by then.

Had to come back to the thread to get the password agian, but it should be on it's way...

Top Bottom