"blank" SoI engine

srpt

Deist
I'm working on a version of the latest SoI with all of the scenario-specific content removed. it will be extremely basic, with 30 numbered civ slots, 4 techs (1 for each era + future), a simple set of units, buildings etc. it will use only regular BTS art with a couple of exceptions (I don't see the point in removing the extra resources or terrain). there will be "flat" settler maps for all the civs and the map will be 1 big province.

I think I can get it to where someone could could get a scenario running with their own content and map with only xml and very basic python like filling in spawn dates, maps and barbs. they could then move on to coding UHVs and UPs from a stable base, using examples from the other mods.

I will also try to include a ready-made dll compiling setup.

I'm already about halfway through this I think so I should have something to post in a few days.

I've decided to be more ambitious with this so it will take a bit longer. there are 2 extra things I'd like to add:

I'd like to completely seperate the civ identities from the player slots and have them assigned dynamically when a civ spawns. this will allow more flexibility for things like making a "respawn" fully playable and just being able to use all non-human player slots whenever they are needed.

also it seems like stuff like K-mod, BUG/BAT/BULL or whatever AI and speed enhancements are available and desireable should be added at this "blank" stage since it will probably be easier and it would not have to be done again.

and of course if anyone wants to help that would be more than welcome.

The idea of merging RFC (doesn't matter which mod/modmod) with BUG (and BAT/BULL) has come along several times. But due to the complexity of it, the project has never really started up. I hope you have more luck with this.

I'm willing to help, but I don't have the coding skills needed (which are IIRC C++ and python). But if you need help with XML or art, I can help you. And testing ofcourse.

Spoiler :
I have some ideas of an own (fictional) RFC modmod. Due to lack of coding skills, I didn't try to start yet. Maybe this project will get me started.

I will at least give K-mod a try, based on the fact that Leoreth is making it a priority for his mod. better AI would be great so its worth a shot. merging it with a simplified set of files should be easier anyway. I will release the basic version 1st though. I don't really have any time this weekend but maybe by the end of next week it will be ready.

I'd love to see this done. I've spent most of my time on XML stuff and art so there wouldn't be much of a loss in converting to a blank SoI engine, and it would make it much easier for me to code when I eventually get to it.

Good luck! :goodjob:

Good luck! I wanted to do this one day (the bare-bones at least), but seeing how my times goes lately, it's not bloody likely.

BUG I honestly don't like. As far as K-Mod goes, very large parts of it are completely irrelevant to RFC (like Victory conditions all the AI work that goes into it) and others are rather conflicting, but there's a lot more to be added than the few pieces I included.

I have already done the python and had one try at the DLL. it compiled fine but for some reason I got "you have been defeated" so it did something wrong with the python I guess. I will do it again more slowly.

thanks for the input on K-mod, BUG etc. I'm just looking for things like improved amphibious invasions, and such. I will probably wait to see what Leoreth's experience is like before starting with that and I will definitely post the basic version as soon as its ready so that people can get on with their ideas.

just wanted to let everyone know that this is still happening and progress is good. I started again from scratch, this time DLL first, and I've finished all the DLL and python. for the xml, I'm going to strip it down to just a few elements, less than 10 each of units, techs, buildings etc. then I'm going to release it as is, leaving any K-mod or other changes til later.

here it is. it could be improved but its a good start for a mod anyway.

for DLL compliling, refer to Asaf's tutorial here, except that you don't need the "project and makefile archive" as those files are already there. you should be able to compile after just changing the 2 lines in the makefile.

good luck and have fun!

Attachments

• SoI engine.7z
    5 MB · Views: 311
Problems in real life don't leave me enough free time at the moment, but I'm looking forward to make a new modmodmod.
Thank you for all the work you've done!

With something like this available, I might even think about making a modmod(mod?) someday. This will be a tremendous boost to our community.

Top Bottom