1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Blender Tutorial]Import custom model in Civ4

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modding Tutorials & Reference' started by C.Roland, Apr 15, 2006.

1. hockeyrox38

hockeyrox38 Chieftain

I am confused. I have now downloaded and installed blender 2.43, and have downloaded python 2.4.6, but i do not know what to do with the tgz file i downloaded

2. The_Coyote

The_Coyote Emperor

you know that this tutorial is a bit older and that newer version of Blender and the scripts are available. There were some issues with the scripts, so that civ4 modding was forced to use older version, but now you can use that up to date scripts. The basic sheme hasn´t changed (make your model - unwrap it - apply your texture - export it as nif). For the first three steps you can look at some basic blender tutorials (or my make a unti with blender tutorial) - there are also some video tutorial available.

the attached picture shows you the setting which should work the export your model. afterwards you should do a nifswap with the exported model.

here the link to the newest version with the instruction which version of other programs are needed (and in which order you should install them)

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2636

Attached Files:

3. hockeyrox38

hockeyrox38 Chieftain

Thank you! I was using blender 2.49, but I believe it wasn't the right nif scripts. Now my model is exported, I can continue!

4. kid anubis

kid anubis octorilla wrangler

Just want to say thanks. I ran into this problem and your tutorial here was very helpful.

5. dood100125

dood100125 Chieftain

Not sure if this is still active and im sorry if im not supposed to post here.
    I followed the tutorial and got my model working ingame but it has one problem my models skin does not show it all black could anybody help?

6. The_Coyote

The_Coyote Emperor

which file format has your texture? (but without texture the model should be pink and not black)

Could you attach (or if your are not allowed because of your postcount: upload it to a webhoster) the exported (and swapped) nif and the texture so that someone could have a look

7. dood100125

dood100125 Chieftain

8. The_Coyote

The_Coyote Emperor

the problem was that the mesh of the model was 2 times in the nif, one with texture and one without which makes the model black. Removing the mesh without texture (eg with nifskope or sceneviewer) should solve the problem (files attached: _1 move the second mesh to make both visible, _2 is the nif with only one mesh left)

as hint, perhaps you should also try the poly reducer script of blender before you use this unit, it´s quite poly heavy now - even triangulated the mesh has still around 3500 poly (a normal civ4 warrior mesh has around 800 os the entire warrior unit ~ 2500)

Edit: Attachement removed

9. dood100125

dood100125 Chieftain

Thanks for the help and tips :goodjob:

10. Geek113377

Geek113377 Human (Usually)

bookmarked for later use. awesome tutorial.

11. Voyhkah

Voyhkah Political Activist

Aparently, you unwrap differently in 2.49. Can someone tell me how to do this in 2.39.

12. xooll

xooll Chieftain

Just thought I'd let everyone know: Don't use Blender 2.58! Niftools doesn't work with it. Also it seems to have some graphics issues (at least for me). 2.49b is good.

Bagdemagus likes this.
  13. Voyhkah

Voyhkah Political Activist

This is one of the best tutorials on the site. Two thumbs up!:goodjob::goodjob:

14. Bagdemagus

Bagdemagus Warlord

Hi hope you are still on the site?

Do you have blender with all the nif tools all set up and imported? If so is it possioble to purchase this from you? This is so I can start practising and modding.