BlueMarble for Mac available for testing

I think the mac version as it is now is specifically for vanilla. It works for doing the terrain for warlords as the terrain files are the same, but it doesn't have things like the main menu screen with the logo. I do remember now that I was having trouble with BTS crashing when I first started running it, so I backed off on all of the extra goodies. There might be more interface differences in warlords if I install all of that too.

The issue with BTS is you can't use Blue Marble when playing multiplayer. It is a little overzealous in making sure that everyone is running the same code, so it balks about the BM stuff even though it shouldn't. It works fine in single player.

Thanks for the help Welnic, I was wondering if I could ask for a favor however. I have tried to get my Virtual PC working (archaic i know, but I'm still a G5 owner), no dice. I haven't been able to dissect the .exe file. So could I get a hold of some dissected files? :) I missed the line where it mentioned multiplayer BTS was the only thing that errored out on Terrain mods. I'm going to wait for BTS for mac. I'm probably one of the few.

So I tried the Warlords CustomAssets folder from my PC after the V 3.00 install. It is pretty cool, the BM logo is on the main menu screen and some of the other screens have some different backgrounds. But in a succession game that I am playing when I load it up all of the sudden I am playing Catherine of the Romans, against people like Gandhi of the Incas. If I change the CustomAssets folder back to stock then the game is okay. So I need to figure out what is going on there before this is of any use.

Sounds like an interesting modification. Random leaders, must be part of the new add on. Does it change the leader stats for each leader head when combined with a different country. So maybe you can now randomize everything. If you find anything give me an email or a post here.(I usually lurk) I changed my email address just recently to my current one. The old email address was on there was from a year ago.

Where have you looked for it? It should be in /Users/<your_user_name>/Documents/Civilization IV/. If it isn't there then you must have deleted it. But Civ4 should recreate it automatically next time you run it if this is the case.

I have replaced the BlueMarble .zip files linked in the first post. The links now point to the terrain files for version 4, kindly provided by ColdFever.

ColdFever's description of the changes in the new version:

ColdFever said:
V3 only updated the mod for BtS, so it did not bring news for Mac owners, here are some notes for V4:

V4.00 - warmer colors, Civ4:Colonization terrain style (kudos to Firaxis Games for Civ4:Colonization updates)

V4.20 - sunnier grassland & detail maps corrections

Thanks for the update AlanH. I found out that I like to keep my civ 4 as uncluttered by mods as possible, but this one is a keeper. With a G5 any mac(OS X) specific mod for civ4 is a keeper.

ColdFever has updated BlueMarble to version 4.50 Gold. The list of changes is:

- new snow graphics
- improved terrain detail balance
- small refinements

The first post now has download links directly to ColdFever's latest files.

Thanks again, ColdFever :goodjob:

ColdFever has now updated the BlueMarble file sets to include the extras required to run with Beyond the Sword for Mac.

Thanks yet again, ColdFever :goodjob:

As far as I know, they just add new files to the existing sets. But why don't you try?

ColdFever has now updated the BlueMarble file sets to include the extras required to run with Beyond the Sword for Mac.

Thanks yet again, ColdFever :goodjob:

And thank you, Alan. I'll try it out as soon as I finish my current game.

So if I'm getting it right : the gui modifications doesn't work on mac but the tiles changes ( which is the most important ) and the tiles not working at all in multiplayer mode.
right ?

These pure packages work really fine.

With a basic BTS 3.19 game, no problem at all. Then, I tried them with my mod ( Ethnic Mix More which integrates Cultural City Style v. 95 from GeoModer + Eden Project from Tsentom ) and then, began the problems :crazyeye:

In single player : no problem at all
In multiplayer : impossible to launch any multiplayer game ( tested on 2 macs, both with same install and same directories, and same mod, and same files, etc ... )

At this point, pure package of Blue Marble v 4.5 was installed in CustomAssets ...

Then I made a copy of my mod where I included these Blue Marble files ( HD/Applications/mygamesfolder/Civilization IV/Beyond The Sword/Mods/ and ... there it worked ! :D :)

I don't really understand why since these are graphic files only and since I had a big attention to put the files at the same place ( didn't change any name or something ) on both computers ... I'd really like to understand why it doesn't work when Blue Marble is inside CustomAssets ... Maybe a Macintosh specificity :mischief:

But if it can help the ones who get some difficulties to play in multiplayer ...

:coffee:

I've found the low res version actually seems to speed up the game performance on my older mac. Works great so far, thanks!

Top Bottom