Borderline trolling

zxcvbnm

The Nobody
Is there anything mods can do for it except closing threads?

It is very annoying that a potentially good discussion is ruined by people who almost troll others, in a way which prevents intelligent talking but isn't considered exactly trolling so they can't be punished for it.

When the mods close a thread because it has become an aggravator for borderline trolls it is certainly right, as it prevents it from getting actual trolling, but it is also in a way giving in to the trolls. They don't want to prove they are right, but rather prevent discussing controversial topics. When a thread is closed because of them, they take it as a victory but slip away.

I don't know much about these issues, but could mods consider threadjacking an offense if it results in mass trolling? Or the borderline trolls would be punished earlier, or the threads kept open a bit longer, even at the risk of actual trolling, but with a clear warning that the borderline trolls would be banned more easily?

They don't want to prove they are right, but rather prevent discussing controversial topics.
No they don't! There will always be another thread. What borderline trolls want to do is get the other guy to act like an idiot for thier own amusement.

Frankly, it's probably more useful then trying to prove anything because practically noone changes major philosophical/political stances because of random internet dudes, with the borderline trolls at least it's entertaining.

Deletion would be much more suitable i feel.

It's best to close the offending thread than to let it run amock with trolls and flames.

You can always restart a thread on the same subject, even if the existing one has been closed due to all the flames and trolls. ;)

Sometimes it's just too much work to try to put out the flames in a thread, so we just close it.

You can always restart a thread on the same subject, even if the existing one has been closed due to all the flames and trolls. ;)

Ahh... sometimes you can.

If the thread is fairly borderline anyway, then this is not such a great idea.
If you're talking about this thread, then despite the opening post saying that its a thread for discussion, not trolling, I think its reasonably foreseeable that a thread with this subject matter is going to be troublesome.

I am assuming we're talking about decent threads that have been hijacked by trollers and flamers (like in the first post, if I read it correctly). :p

Of course, if the thread itself is trolling/flamey or will almost certainly lead to problems, restarting it is not a good idea. ;)

I think the thread title and tone of the OP often matters more than the subject matter. If, for example, the thread title is something like "Why does X happen", and no one agrees that X actually happens, it will devolve pretty quickly into trolls and spam.

I'm talking about threads that handle controversial issues. Just because nobody will change their opinion doesn't mean discussing it isn't interesting.

I admit some borderline trolls and flames are quite amusing, but when they completely destroy a discussion in a thread which is not supposed to be offending in the first place they deserve to be punished.

My thread was just one case, this happens very often, but it was the most recent one. It had question marks at every full stop, and was clearly meant to start a discussion, not offend anyone, unlike some claimed.

My thread was just one case, this happens very often, but it was the most recent one. It had question marks at every full stop, and was clearly meant to start a discussion, not offend anyone, unlike some claimed.
Perception is everything.

Someone could start a thread 'discussing' why one race appears to be superior to another, why one religion appears to be violent, why one gender is inferior or why one country is better than another.

Their intent could be to have a serious discussion, but in my experience, they would be unlikely to get one - and I would probably err on the side of caution and close any such thread before the real flaming & trolling started.

Often the most effective trolls are those that are borderline and hide behind "discussion" - a troll will start a neutral 'discussion' thread, and steer it towards their real opinions. We've tried letting these discussions run their course in the past (discussions on British Nationalist Party policies spring to mind), but invariably its a mistake.

In short - threads often evolve, and we often make judgement calls based on experience of what topics are likely to go bad. We may get it wrong, but we learn from those too, and we discuss them amongst ourselves in the staff forum.

Borderline trolling is precisely why CFC is awesome.

More seriously, this is why I don't post serious topics in civfanatics, despite the fact that people here are absolutely bright enough to handle it if they were mature enough, and why borderline trolling perpetuates itself. It's quite frankly a result of the nature of CFC. I doubt that it would be less borderline stuff and more blatent stuff if moderating was more lax, and thus the moderating would be inherently more easier to enforce, but hey, it's not my forum.

I think the OP's suggestion sounds very much like calling Borderline Trolling Trolling.

Sounds like infractions to me.

What exactly are infractions? You get them for being bad but what do they do?

lol, what a nice way of putting it

that's 1 week ban, i mean a complete ban.

I think it was 50 or so.

It doesn't matter. Only a complete idiot would get themselves over the 8 point limit before the points expire. And at the same time, only a complete idiot would ban a longtime productive member, even if he is a "borderline troll."

You might as well just avoid the OT altogether if it seriously bothers you that much.

Top Bottom