BOTM 10 Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

It seems that vassals should be "turned OFF" in the game settings. JC looks like a monster on this map in major number of games I hear about.

I sympathize with you in your sorrow :sad:

JC didn't manage to become a monster in my game, I suspect due to him attempting to attack Mansa instead of a neighbour.

I'd barely settled three cities, two on the "mainland" (one grabbing the copper) and one on the "island" before Washington showed up declaring war (absolutely no warning, but our cities were a little close - Washington beat me to capturing a barb city SE of the capital), with about a dozen swords + some cats. I had a handful of archers and had only just started on some axes. That was fairly one-sided.

As my main two cities were soon vanquished, my only city became the one "overseas". I actually survived quite a long time, conquering two barb cities with just archers (vs archers) and settling a fourth. It wasn't long, however, before Washington came knocking on the other side. I gifted a city for peace but in the meantime Mansa had also declared and was not so forgiving.

I was finally conquered in the 12th century.

Deity - never any fun for me.

Started up the game from 460AD in a good situation after capturing 4 Barb cities all the way to the tundra near Mansa's land and quited after about 30 minutes of play.

The very next turn 4 swords popped between two captured cities. Played a game of cat and mouse with them by let them take back the city nearst to the tundra. This let my CR3 axes to heal. The barb swords razed there own city. :crazyeye:

The axes and a sword kill 3 but one barb kill my cr3 sword. Then next turn I loose 2 of the remaining axes at over 80% chance but the last one kill the basterd. For a few turns all look well when two Barb cities pop up with 4 LB's each and the next turn the Romen + Hindu gang vote to go to war with buddhist Washington. Holy Roman Emperror vote NO. Bad decision.

We all are at war with Washington and and Mansa DoW on poor old us. Nothing happens for a long time and then an accidential misclick place our original scout on a tile between us and Washington. A Mace kills him and two workers who got there mistakenly. A few turns later a stack of granades and cats land next to the Dye city and washington is ready to talk. So we decided to give the city to him.....but he get two cities due to another operator error. Since one of them was my main production city with iron in it, I just turned off the computer and went to bed.......Anyways I had to go to work in 4 hrs at 7:30.

So today I thought about playing from the autosave but I really do not think there is any chance of me even managing to survive the next two dozen turns with out my production city and it seem my trade routes suffered when the WW1 started. I have never seen Mansa this mad :) I think.

Anyways I had 11 cities and all were building RH and going into specialization of Commerce, GP and production. There perhaps were a chance for a Diplomatic game but I really do not have the time to test the theory.

Thank you for a great set up "DynamicSpirit". Awsome map and great number of options to win. I just made many bad decisions and played poorly. Thanks for those who cared to write a spoiler. One of these days I will win above emperor. :blush: but not today.

It seems that vassals should be "turned OFF" in the game settings. JC looks like a monster on this map in major number of games I hear about.

I sympathize with you in your sorrow :sad:

Vassals were turned off in BOTM 09 (just to give some variety in the settings). Personally I don't like vassals (or more correctly, I love the idea but I think the implementation so far is hopelessly crude) but they seem to be an important part of both Warlords and BtS and I don't think I'd be very popular if I switched them off routinely :) Besides, vanilla games give people the chance to play without vassals.

Hi, everybody! I usually don't post in finalspoilerthreads because they are oftenly opened so late (or I lately see that they are opened), and at that time I can't remember many of details of my game.
But this time it was a deity game and I think it deserves some comments, although I can't remember some details (I played it 21.9.-23.9. I think).
The map was interesting and easy, but the leader was a difficult one. Almost all my deity wins are made playing financial leaders. For me, it is very difficult to win on deity with non-financial leader, so this game was a real challenge.
In this game, in the ancient ages I captured a barb city SE of my capital(Saxon, I think) with archers (barbarriors and barbarchers killed majority of them in that battle). That became my best city. Before that city was founded I intended to settle there, so it was very important to capture it (even that important that I made archers instead of settlers). During next centuries I conquered barb cities to the west with 4 swords (some of them were given maces instead of swords when barbs got longer bows). My military was poor comparing to AIs, so I decided to play peacefully and economically, and that made my army more weak. I usually don't have state religion on deity to maintain good/average relationships with everybody because of techtrading and avoiding war (avoiding to be somebody's most hated neighbour).
The unpossibility of winning otherways made me to try a cultural victory (the most of my BTS deity wins were that), although imp/pro is bad for that, I had no choice. So, I won :) a cultural victory in 1818. Mansa tried it too, but he was about 2 turns behind me. That cultural race was very close and exciting. The third who were trying to win were Romans, but they were unable to conquer or vassalize all of us, which was necessary for them to win diplo, dom or conq.
My wining was much slover then some of yours, but victory is a victory:)
And I must congratulate to Gosha190 on very fast wining! That's unbelieveable!

So, I won :) a cultural victory in 1818.

Hey, congratulations!

Would you like to share some more details, like
- which were your 3 Legendary cities
- how many GA did you get
- did you have marble
- did you build Sistine's or any other wonder

Thank you

Nice win Gosha and Nioco

Add me to the list of people who "could" of won had the game gone longer, ;)
The winner was JC by SR in 1890.
Given that my only option left at the end was to go for a Culture victory, which I hadn't even considered, if only the game had lasted until the time limit I might have had a shot.
JC was the man, he vassalized everyone but Wang Kon who broke free and then didn't get revassalized before the end. Washington built the UN but couldn't get the winning vote. The AP was built by Suryavarman (?) but thanks to me abstaining, no one could win that way.
I was way behind in techs after pulling close in ~800ad.
I had good cities and my only war was with Wang Kon early on. Everyone else was at war throughout the game. Near the end it was Suryavarman with MM vs JC with everyone else at war. The nukes went flying and my screen shook a couple of times each turn. Apparently JC didn't mind turning Earth into a cinder as he had already launched his spaceship. The whole mess ended with Wang Kon breaking free of JC and everyone else capitulating to JC.
All in all I was glad to reach the end, a kind of moral victory I guess.
On to the next game.

I wonder what stops Mansa in some games from winning by culture?

In my botm10 game (and in most other deity games I played), he won. Normally in the industrial age; I never saw AI nukes in civ4.

Well, I messed up my Religious game. Almost everything went well:

• Got Theology from Oracle
  • Spread Christianity to all civs
  • Got JC to Friendly, Mansa and Washington too a bit later (Hinduism)
However, no religion spread to me for a long time! I needed Hinduism from Mansa to start the AP, everybody was Hindu except Sury, Wang and Genghis. I settled in place and basically played OCC till Oracle. That was a big mistake. Barbs settled 2 cities very closely and blocked missionaries from Mansa. Barb galleys didn't help either. When I finally kicked barbs away, the first missionary from Mansa failed to spread. The second one came after 10 turns. This was just enough for me to miss the AP, Mansa build it 13 turns earlier than I would! Well, it serves me right to play this too casually and late at nigh too. :mischief: Earlier Sailing and more effort against the barbs would have been enough. :wallbash: Oh, well.

Nice strategy with 2 religions Gosha!

Anyway, I kept playing, hoping for a Diplo win one day. :rolleyes: It was too late for that, but I didn't feel like quitting just yet. I started conquering the barb cities on the northern continent, but Mansa started doing that too. Centuries past and then sth shocking happened : the AP victory option appeared! They all switched to free religion, Mansa was eligible because he was the owner and I kept Hindu! More than that, JC and Washington would've been enough to win against Mansa! Crazy business. Of course, the relations dropped without same religion bonuses. The plan was to adopt Representation, Free Speech and Free Market too to improve on that. Eventually I did, but just a few turns later Mansa discovered Mass Media and obsoleted the AP. I was far from Mass Media myself, with low population. At this point I finally resigned.

All in all, I'm pretty mad at myself. :mad:This was a great map and a great opportunity for a deity win, but I totally messed it up. :cry: Maybe next time...

AP religion is fixed at the turn when AP is finished. I spread Christ to AI capitals and Confu to smallest AI cities. So I got majority of votes. What is more I have no opponent as all AI was in in another religion than AP religion.

@Gosha:
So when the AP was finished, Confu was the AP religion. And when the vote for the AP Victory came, the other civilizations had only to choose between you or abstain? Because no one else was running Confu as state religion?
Did I get it? :)

@Gosha:
So when the AP was finished, Confu was the AP religion. And when the vote for the AP Victory came, the other civilizations had only to choose between you or abstain? Because no one else was running Confu as state religion?
Did I get it? :)

Exactly! :)

And second reason: spreading Confu relatively late and to smallest AI cities lets you win without large population.

Remember! You need at least one friend because self-voting fixed now and you must not have more than 75% of votes. Only confu infected cities participate in voting. If confu is a state religion then number of votes for such kind of cities is doubled.

Gosha, or someone else please, can you explain me this move? What is the reason to switch the religion before the AP is finished?

I switch to confu only for 5 turns as well then back to hindu. All explanations about this are in the pregame discusiossion...I asked myself exactly the same questions after failing the test game : I built the AP palace but with the shared religion of most neightbours...cannot win after that.

:) You are right! There is no room for errors on deity. The problem is I never played for a diplomatic victory, wether via AP or UN. So I really need some test games. But as written in the pregame discusson for BOTM11 I'll try to reach space in this one as soon as possible.

Top Bottom