[BTS] BOTM 200 Second Spoiler - 1000AD

Continuing the Contender save (ie, the normal one). I see others noted it felt like 1AD, and I concur, except it feels more like 500BC, or even 1000BC. I limped to Currency. STRIKE on the last turn. Then we captured a city so nobody died. And changed almost all cities to Wealth so we didn't have -59:gold: per turn any more. Jeesus frickin' hell. Just managed to limp to Calendar just before 1000AD, and am now looking at 25 turns until Civil Service, which we usually have by 1AD.

Declared war on Achilles not too long after 1AD. Took two cities quickly, then I noticed he got iron. He had settled a city on it, and we had view due to an early exploreboat by Poseidon. Suddenly the city tile had 2 :hammers:, so I knew he could get out swords and the like. Managed to overwhelm him, however, and didn't face that many metal units. Dead now. Moved the units NE towards Sarpedon. No OB so couldn't bypass him for the probably easier target. He has copper and iron, and loads of phalanxes and spears and crap, and I have basically a HA army. But I have to try. Messy as hell, but we have taken two cities, including his capital. And lost SO. MANY. RNG. SH**Y. BATTLES. :mad: :cry:

Am honestly not quite sure how to proceed now, because it looks unlikely I can grab more cities, at least fairly easily, due to difficult to move terrain (2-3 turns until city attack), and heaps of metal units. Can't exactly whip all the cities into the ground either with such a poor economy (and only 4-ish cities have a barracks). Reinforcements is tricky as I basically control a tract straight through Sarpedon's land. And Poseidon is not really helping out either. I've taken some GPT deals from him, as I figured we could use the money better than he did.

Not sure what is up with Hera, though. We had OB for a long time, but at some point it was insta-cancelled, despite only being Cautious+Annoyed with her. Usually AIs don't cancel OB when they are in place. But somehow ours is gone now, and despite relatively good relations (-1), she is Annoyed and I/we is her worst enemy. No dodgy pre-diplo stuff going on here, though, so it's all a bit strange from my perspective.

Very anticlimactic to get to Alpha, figure we could backfill a good deal with her (since she should be willing to trade), and then discover she only had some minor religious techs, and two of the other AIs lacked Writing. Talk about cavemen. Since then she has teched pretty well, but ofc now she doesn't want to trade (probably wouldn't have anyway, with monopoly on MC and Contruction, but still :-/ ). At least we got Monarchy from her, though, which helped a little bit.

Not found any of the other AIs left, although it's pretty obvious where they must be located from the blackness of the minimap. Assume we need Astro and Galleons, however, which we may never reach given the slow techpace and horribad economy.

City count is okay, but happiness is a big problem, despite getting up some Hammams. I have 16 cities and Poseidon 7 (he actually captured a city far west that we both assaulted, which was fine by me).

Have to say that the game has been a very frustrating one. So much terrible land that is rough to develop, high maintenance costs, not least from the army from very early on (crazy barbs!!). I'm looking at costs in Poseidon cities too, and it looks pretty normal to me? Do the AI here not get the usual Immortal discounts? :confused: I see units and especially buildings are much cheaper, but city maintenance looks pretty normal tbh. 5-6-7 :gold: for pretty small cities that are close. Anyway, I wish he built more units instead of useless walls and galleys. Or the even worse (?) markets. I'm pleased when I see Wealth or Research.

Also, one thing that really struck me as strange: For many consecutive turns, 3-ish cities built nothing. Absolutely nothing. The build queue was empty, and he didn't quickly do stuff in one turn either. It sort-of looked like he couldn't build more buildings, and due to costs didn't build units either. Whatever went on there, it looked very strange (this was pre-Alpha, so he couldn't build Wealth/Research).

No idea how to win this thing. Culture is out the window ages ago, and with the wonder whoring elsewhere it may be something we need to watch out not losing to. Diplo is probably out too due to pre-set diplo modifiers, and obviously AP. Which basically leaves warfare or space. Neither will be easy nor fast, and that's assuming we can somehow get on top in the war against Sarpedon that has been dragging out and withering down our forces for not much gain.

Last edited:
I think I will need Sushi to make up for the absence of Religions (haven't met anybody from the underworld
I suspect the Underworld does not exist. Am half-convinced the religions were founded in a city whose ruins I have spotted, and then deleted afterwards. Unless that takes the religions with them too? Because in the Religion window, all religions are at 0%, which probably wouldn't be the case if they existed in an actual city somewhere, even if technically unreachable.

I have to admit up to now I've had very little idea what determines great merchant gold.
Don't recall the specifics so consider this "off the top of my head".

Believe there is a base amount, probably somewhat high. Then you get an addition that is a function of the multiplier on trade routes from the city your GM is in to your own capital. Usually Temple of Artemis is the best city due to this, especially early in the game. Later on, other cities can be better or at least equally good, if they have a harbour and are pretty big. Having a big capital yourself helps too, because that boosts trade route multipliers as well. Customs house too, as mentioned above, but those are pretty late game. Even the AI needs some time to get those up. Distance matters a bit too, so probably the best-case scenario (short of customs house), is a large coastal city far from your capital, with a harbour and Artemis. Plus your own capital is e.g. size 15+.

Continuing my contender save... I settled one more city and captured one more barb city, bringing my total to eight.

My first war, against Achilles, started in 820. (If I hadn't attacked him, he certainly looked ready to attack me.) In 1000 AD, I've captured two of his cities, and the war continues.

Most of the wonders have been going to the Cyclopes team, but Poseidon managed to build the GLH, which helps me, as well.

Oh, I assumed they would revert to normal naming once they ran out of the preset list!!
This is about all the empty city names, for context. It looks like a strange side effect is that the Espionage screen is a little messed up. I'm looking at some cities that have been discovered with empty names (on the actual map), yet in the Espionage screen the city list is entirely empty, so it's not possible to see costs for various missions, hints at what they are building, how much gold there is, stuff like that.

Take that as a warning. I've seen where you have one spaceship part left to build and your teammate starts it in a coastal city with no hammers.

:devil: I think there's a trick here. For example, let's say you want to build G.Lighthouse. If you have sailing and on the last turn of Masonry, you research something else and let your teammate finish masonry, then you get first shot at starting GLH.
I adopted that trick in order to get my free GP, because one time, Brontes got it. It was past 1AD, so i cannot tell details.
but generic advice is not a spoiler. You're saying, for example, if you're researching Communism or Physics, you tell your teammate to switch to something else so you get the free spy/GS.
Good reminder.
Generic advice? I'm sure this team stuff is new to a lot of us, and I wonder about this in relation to getting great people. The above quotes (from the 1AD thread) advocate telling your teammate to research something else while you complete the tech, and the inverse. What is required to get the great person? Must the human complete the tech while the teammate does something else for a turn, or must the human do something else for a turn while the teammate completes the tech?

Generic advice? I'm sure this team stuff is new to a lot of us, and I wonder about this in relation to getting great people. The above quotes (from the 1AD thread) advocate telling your teammate to research something else while you complete the tech, and the inverse. What is required to get the great person? Must the human complete the tech while the teammate does something else for a turn, or must the human do something else for a turn while the teammate completes the tech?

If my understanding is correct, it seems that if it's a tech that gives the first discoverer freebies (like liberalism), then you need to complete the tech first, to make sure that you are the one who gets to choose the free tech. But if it's a tech that merely lets you build something (like masonry for great lighthouse) then you need to have your teammate complete the tech if you want first shot at building it. But I'm happy to be corrected if anyone else knows/believes it's different.

Liberalism by the way was a strange one. My teammate tried to research it with one turn to go. I told him to research something else, which he did - but as far as I can tell for some reason he still got it but then as far as I could tell, we weren't given any free tech - which was really annoying because IIRC I'd had it planned out to get a pretty expensive tech. Reading these threads, I wasn't the only one that happened to, so I'm guessing there is some bug in the game around the free tech with teams.

Contender. 15 cities at 1000 AD. Have been holding expansion back for a while due to the problems with maintenance but slowly ramping up for an attack on People of the Plains and of the Nile. Poseidon managed to build the Parthenon but other than that the "unknown" Cyclops have built all wonders.

Top Bottom