[BTS] BOTM 215: Napoleon, Immortal - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff
BOTM 215: Napoleon, Immortal - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, particularly anything after 1AD

Did you win?

Reading Requirements
If you are participating in BOTM 215 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

I'm not a huge fan of watery maps, but I guess these settings led to a very enjoyable game. :thumbsup:

Besides the generous leader/civ combo, it looks like the AI does not excel at handling islands, so at least to me it felt easier than a regular IMM game.

The BC years were peaceful. I expanded to 7 cities and got GLH, Oracle (MC) and Colossus.

From the early ADs, I rebuked a few demands from Izzy and the feared red fist showed up. That sealed her fate, Spain was the 1st to fall (660AD/1180AD). Got 10 cities, the AP and a couple of shrines from it.

Charly was the best next target from the logistical standpoint, but I decided to pass (too many CG3 Lbows) and go for Liz next. This war lasted from 1400AD to 1500AD, I took all of her main island (5 cities) before accepting her capitulation.

Fred had joined Liz's side during that war, so that meant he was the next logical target. This war lasted 5 turns (1550AD to 1570AD) before they joined Napoleon's Viking Empire. I took only 3 cities from him, besides a couple more that were acquired during our former war.

The final war was against Portugal. Joao was a bit more stubborn, I had to capture 9 cities in a war that lasted from 1585AD to 1615AD. But he vassaled just in time to join the UN vote for Napoleon's so-called "Diplomatic Victory" in 1635AD. :king:

Thanks for the game, @DynamicSpirit ! :goodjob:

Immortal is still above my play level, so I tried taking it slowly and paying much more attention to the diplomatic side of the game.

The world continued peacefully in the early AD. I completed the Pyramids in 375. In 900, I got the circumnavigation bonus. Isabella, Frederick, Joao and I were all Buddhist, and so on good terms with each other. Isabella, Boudica, and Charley started plotting, and everyone disliked Elizabeth, but nobody started a war. In 1050, I put my berserkers to work and attacked Elizabeth. All the AI who were plotting couldn't be bribed in. I thought they'd join the war on their own accord, but they sat on the sidelines as I took five cities, including all of her mainland. With a handful of islands left, Elizabeth was willing to capitulate, but I thought she'd be more valuable as an independent target of the others' dislike, so I made peace in 1250, in exchange for Guilds.

Boudica would be my next target. She was tougher, so I decided to begin my attack in 1310 by sacking her capital. It cost me 6 of my berserkers, but Bibracte was razed! I thought I could capture her navy in port, but it had moved out a turn before my attack, so I had to destroy it piecemeal on the next turns. She managed to land one ineffectual stack outside York, but that didn't last long. Charlemagne attacked me in 1340, but his inferior navy also went to the bottom.

Isabella had built the AP and been elected its first leader, but Joao and Frederick had supported my bid for the papacy (err, for high lama?) in 1380. I called a vote for war against Charlie in 1480, Isabella supported it, and now all of the Buddhist alliance were at war. In 1500, Boudica capitulates and gives me Economics.

Despite having three strong allies, they don't seem to do anything on the battlefield, while I take four Holy Roman cities and force Charlie to bend the knee and give me Divine Right in 1580. Meanwhile, Isabella's Buddhist population has grown so much that she elects herself back to the AP, over the combined opposition of myself and the other two AP members.

Now I had to decide if I wanted to pursue a peaceful victory with my pleased and friendly neighbors, or if I wanted to do some backstabbing on the road to a military victory. I figured Isabella had too much population for me to win a religious or UN victory, and the AI had enough of a tech advantage to make a space race chancy. So, it was time to betray Isabella. But how to do that without the others joining against me?

Isabella actually helped in that regard. As I started repositioning my navy, Isabella attacked Elizabeth in 1585. Then in 1605 she calls a vote for a holy war, which I eagerly support. Now everyone is at war with Elizabeth and the other AI will be too busy to turn on me.

In 1620, I declare on Isabella. I start by razing two large cities on her mainland and capturing a couple islands, then I start capturing and holding some of her mainland cities, including Madrid (with the AP, Mahabodhi, and three other wonders). She capitulates and give me Corporation in 1665.

In 1685, I attack Frederick. He's made some curious choices in his research. He has Combustion, but he doesn't have oil, so no destroyers. (I've just finished researching Combustion in 1670.) He also has Assembly Line, but he doesn't have Rifling, so no infantry. It's so nice when the AI squander a tech advantage! I capture eight of his cities, including Berlin, before he's willing to capitulate in 1725.

And here's where I throw away a lot of my careful planning and game play, with one click. I want him to give me a tech along with his homage, as I've done with the other AI. So I ask for Assembly Line...and then I make the offer without also selecting the capitulation option. :cringe: That gives him ten turns of peace before I can resume my war. :sad:

So, in the meantime, I declare against Joao in 1740. I capture seven of his cities, including Lisbon, but he won't capitulate. In the forgotten front of the war, I've gradually been taking Elizabeth's islands (the AI again having accomplished nothing against her) and destroy the English Empire in 1790. Joao still has a lot of defending infantry, with which he might retake some of my prizes, so I sign a ceasefire.

Because...it's time to resume the war with Frederick! I capture one more city and now he capitulates, officially, in 1802.

I go to war with Joao again. Now I have some tanks and fighters to help in my offensive. As I capture more cities and he still refuses to capitulate, I give a couple of my Buddhist cities to Boudica and Charley. Now everyone is a member of the AP and I have enough votes for a Religious victory (with enough in vassal hands that I'm not disqualified by having an absolute majority in my own hands), if Joao remains stubborn. But finally he capitulates and gives me a Conquest victory in 1822, on very turn that the next AP vote would have been called.

I really wish I hadn't misclicked, and it probably cost me a place or two in the standing, but it didn't stop the ultimate victory.

I was on track for one of the more memorable games in my career... and it went off the rails a bit. But, I learned something! (or, maybe I knew it at one time, but forgot:old:)

As mentioned in the 1AD writeup I captured Mids to run Police State and conquer Izzy and Boudica. So, since that would give me 2x land of everyone else, the plan was to peace vassal the rest. I work on diplo with sharing HeredRule with Joao, Vassalage with HolyRome, FreeReligion with Liz. Did some shared war and gifted resources and tech, etc.
But the rules are not the same on this islands map. There are no land targets, so you need triple the power of each AI instead of 1.5x.
So, I just kept whipping berserkers and simultaneously drafting a few muskets and then rifles.
I could have crushed everyone with rifles, but I had my peaceful plan.

:help: I finally get 3x power, and Liz says 'I'm too far away!' to be my vassal. This is new. Wouldn't happen on the maps I usually play. Reading the code, it says I need to be in the same 'area'. I'm pretty sure that means one tile touching or one city on the same landmass and doesn't mean: 8 tiles touching (land target). I have to scramble to get a settler down to her before there are no islands left with room for 2 cities.
:woohoo:I settle my city on a small island with one of her cities and she instantly peace vassals.

Each peace vassal makes the others a bit more angry (-2 diplo), so the order is Charley(needs friendly), Joao (needs Pleased), Fred (needs only Cautious)
:wallbash: But then the Islands map has another nuance. There isn't the usual unclaimed land that other maps have, so I can't get anyone to peace vassal since each one puts me over the land dom limit already. In fact, the only way I could get even one more was to gift 3 cities to Charley to lower my land and then Fred peace vassal'd.

I worked so hard on my diplo with everyone that I don't want to just crush them all with Rifles, so I switch to a high score (sushi) + religious win. That's the plan anyway.
To be continued.....

\
:help: I finally get 3x power, and Liz says 'I'm too far away!' to be my vassal. This is new. Wouldn't happen on the maps I usually play. Reading the code, it says I need to be in the same 'area'.

New indeed--never seen it. But then, I don't understand the game mechanics well enough to intentionally try for peace vassals, so I always conquer a city or three, and being "in the same area" is never a problem. Ya learn something new every day. :)

1876 space win for me. I wiped out Isabella in the 1300s, then vassaled Charlie after taking all his mainland cities, and finally one city from Boudica to get her to vassal. Spain had some very nice cities, but the HRE land was mostly meh. Among all my cities, I only had one on a (short) river, so no levees or 3 Gorges Dam :(, which kinda hurt on the production front. And I think I only got one tech (Medicine) in trade from anybody (Boudica) once the Space race got going, even though I got Fred to friendly for awhile. Maybe a hidden modifier so he wasn't really "friendly"?

If you have vassals, then an AI needs to be friendly to you AND to your vassals to trade monopoly techs.
See, this is why I'd be a terrible manager. All this complicated interpersonal relationship stuff is a complete mystery to me. Gah!! Just killing 'em all is so much simpler.

so I switch to a high score (sushi) + religious win. That's the plan anyway.
I figure, with a large sushi population, I don't want to run into the 'you can't just vote yourself the winner' rule. So a religious win means I can have every city with sushi but only about half in the right religion. Keeps away from the self-voting problem.

Liz has the AP and is my vassal along with Fred, so I direct her research such that she cannot get MassMedia (which kills the AP). As a backup plan, I direct Fred to get MassMedia and hopefully build the UN.
Well, time drags on and when I'm about 2 turns from the win vote, she must've traded for MM :mad: I guess I should not have let Fred get MM.

I'm not sure a vassal will build the UN? Anyway, Fred wasn't doing it quickly for sure. I wait and wait and finally Joao builds it. He woulda probably won the space race, but 4 turns later I get UN Diplo victory.

A memorable game. It was nice to casually coast instead of trying for a fast win. Unfortunately, my score was dropping every turn I waited for the UN to be built.

Just wanted to put on the record that I won this game eventually. I was about 6 hours of game time short back on the 7/15 deadline, and I didn't rush to finish it after I submitted the incomplete game.

You know what Berserkers are great for? Making CR3, Combat1, Pinch, Amphibious Mech. Inf.
You know what those are great for? Surprise attacks on rival capitals after they launch their spaceships. :nono:

I did that to both Joao and Boudica as the endgame played out. It was fun.:lol:

I won an Immortal game! :woohoo:
I've had probably half a dozen Immortal or Deity victories, but all of those were before my hiatus circa 2016-17. Since I came back to it, it's been more of a struggle, but this is a good sign.

Top Bottom