• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[BTS] BOTM 273: Qin, Prince - First Spoiler to 1AD

kcd_swede

Jag är Viking!½
GOTM Staff
BOTM 273: Qin Shi Huang, Prince - First Spoiler - 1AD

How did your game go so far? Got a victory condition chosen yet?
Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD

Reading Requirements
If you are participating in BOTM 273, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
  • Do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
  • Do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

Lately I can't find the time to finish many games, but at least yesterday was a free day so I got ahead to 1AD. Let's see if I can finish it too on time. :)

I SIPed when the warrior didn't find any seafood that might be orphaned. City 2 went on the southern coast at corn/gold/fish and gave the fish to city 3 next to the marble. The Romans settled towards me immediately, but I stole a worker and burnt the city down with some axes. A second wave captured Rome and a horse city to its west, and just now at 1AD I got his last city to the south at pig/rice in a 3rd wave. So for now I have a solid 10-city empire with 43 pop, nothing spectacular but workable. Isabela for Prince got a pretty early Oracle, so that was out of the window before even starting on it, but I did build the MoM and the GLH. Old habits die hard so I'm some turns away of finishing a stoneless Pyramids. Tech is up to CoL, Curr, Cal, Monarchy and MC, half way CS.

I'll likely go for the Sumerians next while Mansa is still of use (got MC from him), the other 3 AIs look crammed for space and quite useless, although I'm not sure yet if there's an Africa that one might expand into. Right now going down Indonesia to see if Australia is of interest. ;)

My game is quite similar to @nocho's. SIP and 2nd city at corn/marble/fish. I also stole a roman worker and later attacked Augustus with axes. Everything was going well until I tried to capture his last "horse" city. Lost first 3 attackers, all veteran axes at 60-70% odds and failed to capture the city. This delayed the final capture by at least 10 turns and meant that I couldn't focus on any infrastructure or wonders. In my game Mansa got the early Oracle so no wonders so far for Qin. Settled one of the southern islands ("Phillipines").
@1AD I have 41 pop in 12 cities. Research is up to CoL and Currency is coming in 6 turns. Next step will be to improve the economy: Build some courthouses and settle more islands for valuable trade routes. Maybe build the GLH if it's not too late.

Settled in place. Usually, I don't chop wood at all before math, which slows down my start a little, but gives me a lot of hammers exactly at the moment when I need them. Therefore, I rarely build ancient wonders. I decided to play this game differently, because the level is prince, the map is "terra", and our leader is industrial. So I started from BW, about 15 turn, i stole a worker from Rome, built 2 my own, cut down 2 settlers and began to build wonders.
I founded the 2nd city in the jungle near corn/fish/gold, the 3rd city near Rome with a cow and corn from 2 city. In the 3rd city, I tried to cut down Stonehenge right away, but lost 4 or 5 turns to Isabella, who built it in 1800 BC. In the capital, I built the Great Wall (around 1320 BC), and after connecting marble with help 4 city, Oracle (750 BC). I could have built it much earlier, but I waited until I learned MC. The risk was justified and I got the machinery as a free technology. Around 600 BC, I completed the ToA, most of which I built before the Oracle.
I still didn't have the IW and archery, so after the Oracle was built, I started saving money to learn the alphabet quickly, but it wasn't necessary. In 500 BC Gilgamesh was the first to learn the alphabet and gave it to me and IW for MC, AH and mysticism. On the next turn, I traded sailing, archery, meditation and monotheism, later Spain learned the monarchy and exchanged it. Korea has CoL, but it doesn't want to change. I used the accumulated money to study mathematics and currency (75 BC). After getting sailing, I tried to build a late Great Lighthouse, but in 250 BC it was built by Carthage (I lost 6-7 moves).After that, I switched to the Colossus and built it in 25 BC. In 75 BC I started war against Rome with 10 cho-ko-nu, 3 axes and 3 spears. By 1 AD, I had captured Antium and Rome, where the Pyramids were built in 100 BC.
In total, at 1 AD I have 12 cities, 36 pop, and wherever possible, cho-ko-nu are being built. I don't think I'm going to prolong this game. Domination is probably impossible without America, so most likely I will play the conquest.

Last edited:
Settled in place. Usually, I don't chop wood at all before math, which slows down my start a little, but gives me a lot of hammers exactly at the moment when I need them. Therefore, I rarely build ancient wonders. I decided to play this game differently, because the level is prince, the map is "terra", and our leader is industrial. So I started from BW, about 15 turn, i stole a worker from Rome, built 2 my own, cut down 2 settlers and began to build wonders.
I founded the 2nd city in the jungle near corn/fish/gold, the 3rd city near Rome with a cow and corn from 2 city. In the 3rd city, I tried to cut down Stonehenge right away, but lost 4 or 5 turns to Isabella, who built it in 1800 BC. In the capital, I built the Great Wall (around 1320 BC), and after connecting marble with help 4 city, Oracle (750 BC). I could have built it much earlier, but I waited until I learned MC. The risk was justified and I got the machinery as a free technology. Around 600 BC, I completed the ToA, most of which I built before the Oracle.
I still didn't have the IW and archery, so after the Oracle was built, I started saving money to learn the alphabet quickly, but it wasn't necessary. In 500 BC Gilgamesh was the first to learn the alphabet and gave it to me and IW for MC, AH and mysticism. On the next turn, I traded sailing, archery, meditation and monotheism, later Spain learned the monarchy and exchanged it. Korea has CoL, but it doesn't want to change. I used the accumulated money to study mathematics and currency (75 BC). After getting sailing, I tried to build a late Great Lighthouse, but in 250 BC it was built by Carthage (I lost 6-7 moves).After that, I switched to the Colossus and built it in 25 BC. In 75 BC I started war against Rome with 10 cho-ko-nu, 3 axes and 3 spears. By 1 AD, I had captured Antium and Rome, where the Pyramids were built in 100 BC.
In total, at 1 AD I have 12 cities, 36 pop, and wherever possible, cho-ko-nu are being built. I don't think I'm going to prolong this game. Domination is probably impossible without America, so most likely I will play the conquest.
Sounds like you are in the lead for the Wonder building award. Keep up the good works! :hammer:

I may have overcommitted on wonder building at the expense of some early development. Fun to do that every now and again
Standard enough SIP. Quickly became apparent that our land is pretty poor so early war needed. Settled city 2 down near corn/fish/marble like others and looked for a target.
Mansa was only defended by warriors and his land looked like just what I needed. Killed him and it only took 5 axes :smoke:
Timbuktu, Bejing and Shanghai all had decent hammer potential so I stopped warring there and started to pump the wonders out. A massive Buddhist love-in helped the diplo situation
On the wonders front, I had GW, ToA, Mids, The Parthenon, Shwedagon Paya and The Hanging Gardens. Great Lib and Colossus coming soon
Missed out on Stonehenge and The Oracle to Izzy. Feel a little unlucky that Oracle went at 1160BC on prince but not sure what standard dates are. Hannibal took the GLH in 525BC just before me and I don't feel like I can have too many complaints at that one.
Tech wise, up to MC and Liturature. My tech path was very wonder based

Top Bottom