Bought Civ V to play VP in MP. Confused though?

Lord Brooks

Big Noob
Hi, as the title suggests, I bought Civ V to play MP with a couple of friends. We were, up until recently playing Civ IV Realism Invictus, however the older the game gets, the more problems connecting to MP games we started to experience, forcing us to move on.

So we tried Civ VI for a while and whilst fun, the AI is beyond repair and even with mods it seemed very easy to exploit simple rinse and repeat strategies to gain easy victories even on Immortal. There's just zero challenge, the AI falls so far behind I actually can't fathom what it's actually doing to play so badly. Plus the mods didn't really lend themselves to the total conversion mods we liked.

So we stumbled on VP.

All eager, we downloaded the installer, got it all working single player and after getting my ass handed to me on plate by the AI in the classical era I knew this was the start of a wonderful MP experience.

However, Civ V isn't as straightforward as that in MP it seems. Can anyone please direct me to a nice, simple step by step guide to playing VP (Full EUI) version in MP please?

I seem to understand that you need a 'mod pack' and you have to do some file replacing in the Civ V folders, so if someone could explain how I can get just the VP (Full EUI) version working in MP that would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance.

VP+EUI, 12-20-3 including the latest diplo hotfix n' such like.

Magnus Mutatio modpacks seem to be somewhat out of date at the moment. In general, you should start out with a „Vanilla“ Vox Populi + EUI modpack. The one on top is the latest Beta which is pretty stable IMO, but may have some quirks and is prone to be reworked soon. The latest stable version is 10-25 I think. You should be able to find a modpack for that in the mod repository or create one yourself by downloading the VP 10-25 version with EUI and creating your own modpack as described.

Hi, as the title suggests, I bought Civ V to play MP with a couple of friends. We were, up until recently playing Civ IV Realism Invictus, however the older the game gets, the more problems connecting to MP games we started to experience, forcing us to move on.

So we tried Civ VI for a while and whilst fun, the AI is beyond repair and even with mods it seemed very easy to exploit simple rinse and repeat strategies to gain easy victories even on Immortal. There's just zero challenge, the AI falls so far behind I actually can't fathom what it's actually doing to play so badly. Plus the mods didn't really lend themselves to the total conversion mods we liked.

So we stumbled on VP.

All eager, we downloaded the installer, got it all working single player and after getting my ass handed to me on plate by the AI in the classical era I knew this was the start of a wonderful MP experience.

However, Civ V isn't as straightforward as that in MP it seems. Can anyone please direct me to a nice, simple step by step guide to playing VP (Full EUI) version in MP please?

I seem to understand that you need a 'mod pack' and you have to do some file replacing in the Civ V folders, so if someone could explain how I can get just the VP (Full EUI) version working in MP that would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance.

Note that CIV 5 and multiplayer have certain issues, this also with VP.
There are certain recommendations, for example I think I've seen no barbs is the way to play it because its creating issues in MP.
I think most also play with simultaneous turns (not sure if this is a must), which means fast clicking is important in wars and the game can seem tilted a bit in favour of the player who host.
Edit: resyncs is also common

Barbarians aren't the cause of resyncs anymore. Feel free to use them. You get some resyncs either way.

Not sure if the player turn order issue has been fixed or not.

The MPSaveFix mod is a must if you don't plan to complete the game in one go. Without it AI turns get skipped whenever you load a save. Only the host needs to have the mod (put into the DLC folder).

The MPSaveFix mod is a must if you don't plan to complete the game in one go. Without it AI turns get skipped whenever you load a save. Only the host needs to have the mod (put into the DLC folder).

That sounds like something that should be integrated into base VP.

That sounds like something that should be integrated into base VP.
It does spam your MP save folder (not the autosave folder), so non-hosts might not want it.

Questions for those who play multiplayer; I plan on introducing a friend to VP:

1) Is Hybrid turn mode still broken in VP? If it is, are Simultaneous turns more or less required? My friend and I prefer sequential turns for fairness.

2) If only the host needs the MPSaveFix mod, does that mean I'd need to make two separate modpacks, one for myself, one for my friend (assuming my friend would not want their save folder spammed)?

3) How common are resyncs?

4) Is Quick Turns multiplayer compatible (even if different settings are chosen by each player)? Quick Turns is invaluable in speeding up turn times.

Thanks for any help! :)

Questions for those who play multiplayer; I plan on introducing a friend to VP:

1) Is Hybrid turn mode still broken in VP? If it is, are Simultaneous turns more or less required? My friend and I prefer sequential turns for fairness.

2) If only the host needs the MPSaveFix mod, does that mean I'd need to make two separate modpacks, one for myself, one for my friend (assuming my friend would not want their save folder spammed)?

3) How common are resyncs?

4) Is Quick Turns multiplayer compatible (even if different settings are chosen by each player)? Quick Turns is invaluable in speeding up turn times.

Thanks for any help! :)

1) Afaik yes. I’d recommend playing simultaneously and in case of a PvP war, come up with rules of engagement (declarer gets to move all units first, next turn this is turned around etc.).

2) I have never heard of this before and never observed the described behaviour and I play only mp so this is a bit confusing tbh.

3) That differs. You can easily go the first 100 turns without any but at some point, you will experience some. Late game, I’d say this goes up to every 5 turns or so. While it’s a minor bother to the host, other player will find their units in other places etc. And to be clear here, I haven’t heard anybody say before that barbs are not causing desyncs anymore. Barbs and events are still considered to be the main culprits In this regard. Therefore I’d deactivate both.

4) Not sure. I haven’t heard anything to the contrary but I’ve never used it much myself (I only play on small maps so turn times are usually not an issue).

MPSaveFix is a separate DLC mod (that only the host needs to put into their DLC folder). It should NOT go into the modpack.

Based on this post, we can assume that barbs use the implicit seed RNG and some other things are causing desync.

Top Bottom