BradyGames guide

The manual is good, it just has many mistakes, like tanks are listed as 16 attack, and they put infiltration as +100%.

Ok, I got a copy of this today because I'm a sucker for these things. It's not too bad, and has a nice prologue where Sid talks about the game.

Anyway, badger for the first person who can tell me where they've gone wrong here:

If you're going to say "the Adjacent hills make it very easy to attack" keep in mind units defending the city will also get a 50%+ since the city is on a hill as well.

That being said i think it may be the fact that there appears to be no game near that city.

Not quite the answer I was looking for, but still valid. Have a badger

The mistake that stood out for me was the fact that the description underneath extols the virtues of that as a good city location, but there is no food in the starting squares, and at 3300BC courthouses are a long way away :crazyeye:

Ahh but if he were japanese he would get food from sea- SEAFOOD! =D

The mistake that stood out for me was the fact that the description underneath extols the virtues of that as a good city location, but there is no food in the starting squares, and at 3300BC courthouses are a long way away :crazyeye:

Also, you should not be waiting 7 turns to settle your first village. (It appears this is the initial settlers unit as everywhere else is covered with the "fog of war".)

Is the guide in color? I see Amazon is selling it for like $12. Not a bad deal if it is...

Personally I never buy any strategy guides.

I bought the only one at my Borders for $10.99. It's really...long, and yet most of the strategy in it anyone could figure out after playing 5 games. Oh well, I had a $10 gift card and 35% off coupon so I got it for free. :)

Yep, it's in color.

It's really...long, and yet most of the strategy in it anyone could figure out after playing 5 games.

Exactly. In very few cases do they contain any information worth paying for, especially as you can find all of it (and more) online anyway.

Don't buy these things people.

It's handy for reference, but yeah, you'll probably find most of the info contained in the guide on this forum, and more. :cool:

The usual problem with such strategy guides is that in order to have them available at launch, they are most of the time written with a beta build of the game, and there can be significant changes made to the game while the guide is in production.
That could be one explanation as to why the tanks are listed at 16 (other than an obvious typo, of course ;) )

I actually bought the Civ 4 guide - and it was FILLED with mistakes!

Yet, because I was away for a week when Civ Rev was coming out, I wanted to be more in the "game" as soon as I came back home. I bought it as I was rushing to the airport (Gamestop had it for $16.99 - augh - you all got it cheaper than me!)

I've actually found it invaluable in some ways. Instead of scrolling through the Civopedia, I just turn to the page instead. It's reminded me of common sense (going to a higher tech before entering a friendly village, duh) and I could look at my opponents weaknesses (hee, hee) as soon as I meet them. The most important item I learned (and it could be in the directions, but I didn't have the game with me) was that when you found a city, make sure the spot you start it on isn't a good one; which goes against everything I've learned from years of Civ playing.

The only strategy guide I ever owned (and I did find that one quite useful) was the Prima guide for Alpha Centauri and it came bundled with a discounted special edition of the game and expansion pack, so I didn't actually pay anything for it. Being that AC was my first exposure to a Civ-type game, and that it was orders of magnitude more complex than CivRev, that guide was a life-saver.

I bought one, and I'm mostly disappointed in it. I'll flip through it instead of a newspaper while I'm on my porcelain reading chair but ultimately it wasn't particularly informative. Though I did find the quick reference first to research bonuses handy until I started to remember em.

For newcomers to Civ though it seems decent at getting concepts across. My room mates had no interest in Civ when they saw me playing IV on my PC. But they saw me playing Rev on X-Box and now they're both hooked. The book seemed to improve their game by quite a bit.

I bought one, and I'm mostly disappointed in it. I'll flip through it instead of a newspaper while I'm on my porcelain reading chair but ultimately it wasn't particularly informative. Though I did find the quick reference first to research bonuses handy until I started to remember em.

For newcomers to Civ though it seems decent at getting concepts across. My room mates had no interest in Civ when they saw me playing IV on my PC. But they saw me playing Rev on X-Box and now they're both hooked. The book seemed to improve their game by quite a bit.

You have a porcelain reading chair?

Did you say porcelain? Why would somebody sit on a porcelain chair while reading? That makes not sense at all. That must be EXTREMELY unfomfortable.

I would have bought the game guide but I can't find it anywhere. Amazon is too expensive for me because I don't live in the US. I find that the internet can be difficult sometimes for this sort of thing because there's actually too much information being provided. Most of it is contradictory as well.

The game manual is pathetic - it explains nothing. As far as the Civilopedia is concerned - am I the only person who has never found it very useful? The problem is that it takes too much effort to consult it. It's so much easier if you can flip through a book that's right in front of you.

You have a porcelain reading chair?

Did you say porcelain? Why would somebody sit on a porcelain chair while reading? That makes not sense at all. That must be EXTREMELY unfomfortable.

Oh thank you that just made my morning! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Top Bottom