Brazil discussion thread

I think it's been confirmed that Rio is the capital and Brasilia is included...

I really hope they choose the city names from a historical perspective! Vila Rica should definitely be one the first 10 cities!!

It is quite possible that the state capitals are all included. Probably, after Rio de Janeiro, there will be Salvador, Sao Paulo, Santos, etc..
I actually got really excited about the idea of playing with my country in Civ. :)

The problem here is: Brasilia cannot be placed as a non-capital of Brazil,because the whole reason why the Brazilian government spent an awful ammount of resources to build it was exactly to move the capital of Brazil from the southwest corner to its center . The only logical possibilities I see here are:

- Brasilia is not included and Rio de Janeiro is the capital;
- Brasilia is the capital and Rio de Janeiro is no longer the capital;

The third option,including Brasilia as not the capital of Brazil is the only one that doesn't make any sense,at all .

I was pointing the same problem some days ago, even made a thread about it (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=493237). But, in the end, I just though 'nah, whatever'.

It is quite possible that the state capitals are all included. Probably, after Rio de Janeiro, there will be Salvador, Sao Paulo, Santos, etc..
I actually got really excited about the idea of playing with my country in Civ. :)

Santos? Nope. Santos could be in, but it will be way lower in the city list. I'm expecting Recife, Porto Alegre, Vila Rica (or Ouro Preto), Manaus, Fortaleza, on the first 10.

Maybe Belém, Belo Horizonte and Porto Alegre.

The 10 first cities would probably be:
Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Salvador, Brasília, Recife, Fortaleza, Belém, Porto Alegre, Curitiba, Belo Horizonte

After those we would probably get some minor capitals such as:
Manaus, Goiânia, Florianópolis (maybe with its original name, Desterro), São Luís, Maceió, Natal, Campo Grande, João Pessoa, Cuiabá, Teresina

Mixed with major non-capital cities like:
Guarulhos, Campinas, Santos, Uberlândia, Osasco, Feira de Santana, Olinda, Niterói, Londrina

The order after the first 10, of course, it's hard to guess.

The 10 first cities would probably be:
Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Salvador, Brasília, Recife, Fortaleza, Belém, Porto Alegre, Curitiba, Belo Horizonte

After those we would probably get some minor capitals such as:
Manaus, Goiânia, Florianópolis (maybe with its original name, Desterro), São Luís, Maceió, Natal, Campo Grande, João Pessoa, Cuiabá, Teresina

Mixed with major non-capital cities like:
Guarulhos, Campinas, Santos, Uberlândia, Osasco, Feira de Santana, Olinda, Niterói, Londrina

The order after the first 10, of course, it's hard to guess.

I'm sad because your list haven't Vitória, the city where I was born...

haha eu estava citando dez de cada como exemplo, as listas de cidades passam dos 30 nomes, provavelmente teremos Vitória (e se não tivermos, você sempre pode renomear uma cidade).

--

haha I was mentioning ten of each to exemplify, the city lists have more than 30 names, we probably will have Vitória (even if we don't, you can always rename a city).

I pretty much agree with his predictions, actually. But i think the criteria of their choices will be mostly historical/political, and only afterwards economic.

So I don't really think we will see that many cities like Guarulhos, Olinda, Niterói, Santos, Campinas and the others listed (too bad! I'm from one of those) - but most of the State capitals (Vitória has some chance too, methinks). I'm only in doubt about some really minor capital cities, like Palmas

I think it's safe to assume the cities order will pretty much reflect this listing:
https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anexo:Lista_de_capitais_do_Brasil_por_população

EDIT: What I meant is that I think we will see most of the capitals listed higher than the other cities. Of course, with 30+ cities included it's safe to say all/most of them will be in.

But this list just reflect the current situation, and not the past. Vila Rica (a.k.a. Ouro Preto) was once the economic center of Brazil, and should be very high on the list! While Belo Horizonte is a pretty recent city.

But this list just reflect the current situation, and not the past. Vila Rica (a.k.a. Ouro Preto) was once the economic center of Brazil, and should be very high on the list! While Belo Horizonte is a pretty recent city.

I though about it, but with Brasília being on the top 4, maybe they are not taking this into account. If we want a good model, we should look at the United States city list, where there are 3 relatively recent cities (San Francisco, Los Angeles, Houston) on the top 10.

When Pedro II was emperor of Brazil the capital was Rio. I'm sure for historical purposes they are making Rio the capital and including Brasilia because it is in modern Brazil.

Guys, Vila Rica was a village founded by the portuguese. Consider Brazil after 1822. By that perspective, it sounds reasonable that the cities would be founded by their political influence during the imperial period and so on. Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Salvador, Belo Horizonte, Porto Alegre, Recife, etc. I guess BH is a mistery, since the city didin't even exist before the ending of the XIX century. Brasilia would be a mistery also.

Don't worry, guys. As I commented before, its even more complicated with Japan. Their capital till the Meiji revolution was Kyoto, and Tokyo's name was Edo during that period.

And the US, they start the game with Washington, and not Jamestown. So, its not really important if they put Brasilia or Rio de Janeiro. The game proposes an alternative history emulation, not a scenario.

Eru Ilúvatar;12403724 said:
Guys, Vila Rica was a village founded by the portuguese. Consider Brazil after 1822. By that perspective, it sounds reasonable that the cities would be founded by their political influence during the imperial period and so on. Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Salvador, Belo Horizonte, Porto Alegre, Recife, etc. I guess BH is a mistery, since the city didin't even exist before the ending of the XIX century. Brasilia would be a mistery also.

Don't worry, guys. As I commented before, its even more complicated with Japan. Their capital till the Meiji revolution was Kyoto, and Tokyo's name was Edo during that period.

And the US, they start the game with Washington, and not Jamestown. So, its not really important if they put Brasilia or Rio de Janeiro. The game proposes an alternative history emulation, not a scenario.

Agreed. I really never stopped to think about the year of foundation of Belo Horizonte and the fact that it is so recent. Anyway, I still believe that it is a stronger possibility than Vila Rica/Ouro Preto for many reasons, including those you mentioned.

By the way, I don't know if I got your speech right, but Brasília is no mistery at all. It is not only confirmed, but also between the first four cities founded.

Top Bottom