Broadway is a joke!

Zombie69 said:
Except 2. We don't give a rat's ass about soccer in Canada either.

Ha! Love it! Now Hockey - that's a real man's sport.

Not only are American wonders good, we need more West Coast wonders. Stupid ones to gum up the computer with special projects.

Stupid Wonders idea sheet:
1. Golden gate bridge. (moves units faster)
2. White House. (add corruption to the city it's built in, but gives a big cultural bonus) :rolleyes:
3. National Park System. (Reduces pollution)
4. Magic Mountain. (Modern hanging gardens)
5. Amazon.com. (You gain culture and respect, but lose money)
6. McDonalds. (Hurts the health of Civs with whom you have a trade route) :eek:
7. Silicon Implants (happiness):goodjob:
8. LAX (multiple uses of single airports)
9. Mega Church. (Spreads religion to neighboring cities)
10. Las Vegas Strip (economic boost)
11. Traffic Cops (National Wonder: Boosts economy, lowers happiness)
12. Windows XP (slows productivity of civs with whom you have a trade route) :mad:
13. Norad (extra strike for tanks created there)
14. Willy Wonka Candy Factory (Increases happiness, economy) :D

There, let the computer try and build all those . . . and I'll just keep building my Tanks.

gettingfat said:
Too many American wonders. Periods.

That's because America is the primary market for the game. They don't want to alienate their core audience.

Ranos said:
For the Olympics, a random city of size 10 or greater could be selected every four turns to be the host city. For that turn, commerce could be doubled and there could be a happiness effect that lasts for ten turns.

I've always thought that this would be a good way to do the olympics. I think that it should be something like a city that has the most happiness or something - only the same city can't go twice. Yes, this differs from reality where happiness isn't a factor and money is - but it would be a good way to do it.

Instead of the happiness effect, perhaps more fitting would be the city itself having it's own Golden Age for four turns.

Broadway has no impact on the rest of the world just like the Taj Majah has no impact on the rest of the world. Sure, people go to see it. Just like people go to see Broadway, Stonehenge, Versaisse (sp?) and all of the other wonders. Doesn't mean that the rest of the world cares about them. Really - who sits around humming the chants that the guys who built Stonehenge sang? Nobody is really one hundred percent sure what it was built for. Supposedly a calendar. And quite possibly it was built by a group of people from Sweden.

Zeeter,

To say that Broadway has "no impact on the REST of the world" is to assume that it actually has SOME impact on America. Unless Broadway makes it to hollywood, American's really don't care that much anymore.

warroom said:
Zeeter,

To say that Broadway has "no impact on the REST of the world" is to assume that it actually has SOME impact on America. Unless Broadway makes it to hollywood, American's really don't care that much anymore.

True - however it does have some impact on the rest of the country. Your goal when writing a show is to get it onto Broadway. I'm from Philadelphia, and every year we wait for the latest Broadway shows to come down here for a while. It they're from Broadway, they've got to be better than what we have.
Ok - I don't wait for the shows to come down here, but some people who are not me do.

Zombie69 said:
Except 2. We don't give a rat's ass about soccer in Canada either.

That is because the national soccer teams of your lands are bad quality. I'm from Belgium, and 15 years ago, Belgium was not really bad in soccer. Almost all belgians watched soccer. Nowadays, our national soccer team s*cks, but we have 2 great tennisplayers: Clijsters & Henin, and guess what: almost all belgians watch tennis!

zeeter said:
Your goal when writing a show is to get it onto Broadway. I'm from Philadelphia, and every year we wait for the latest Broadway shows to come down here for a while. It they're from Broadway, they've got to be better than what we have.
Ok - I don't wait for the shows to come down here, but some people who are not me do.

Sure, that's your goal... if you're an American. But what if you're Japanese?... where do you take your show then? I just don't see this as a world wonder. But, just out of curiosity, isn't there a french version of Broadway? I mean, is it the Peris Opera house, or what? (Not to compare Opera with Broadway).

Bevertje said:
That is because the national soccer teams of your lands are bad quality.

You try playing soccer in four feet of snow while dodging harp seals. It's not so easy. Kinda like the Jamaican Bobsled team as an analogy.

warroom said:
Sure, that's your goal... if you're an American. But what if you're Japanese?... where do you take your show then? I just don't see this as a world wonder. But, just out of curiosity, isn't there a french version of Broadway? I mean, is it the Peris Opera house, or what? (Not to compare Opera with Broadway).

I don't think it should be a world wonder, either. But it is American, and I guess they wanted more American wonders in the game.

Not sure about France, but England is supposed to have a section of town that either rivals or beats Broadway.

The sheer number of American wonders is startling; compared to much older civs, like England. It's funny: American's act like they are totally caught up in Europes culture, then we discover: Ahhhh, we actually have culture of our own. "Culture" it's just not an American thing. In 1920, maybe...

We build a lot of stuff, but usally economically, not really to make much of a world wide cultural impact. I mean, we're not building the modern version of Stonehenge and the hanging gardens here.

I guess it's just the Firaxian way of defining culture. I consider it what you do on an average day or night off. It's how you live your way of life. You go to MacDonalds. You eat Chinese food. You go to the movies. You go to church. You watch TV. All that stuff. While visiting Stonehenge may be a cultural experience, it certainly has nothing to do with anybody alive today's way of life. It also has no influence outside of the town that is supported by it's tourism.

zeeter said:
While visiting Stonehenge may be a cultural experience, it certainly has nothing to do with anybody alive today's way of life. It also has no influence outside of the town that is supported by it's tourism.

That's true, but I really don't know what Stonehenge did for the people back then. Think: What if they put all that effort into building a... you got it... Roller Coaster. Yep, they would be much happier people. But no, they had to be cultural and build that... uh.. thing.

My vote is that in the scheme of human history, culture is over rated, religion is under rated, and entertainment is way under rated. So to look cool, we call our entertainment culture; good idea! Now we look smart and have fun doing it. Ancient wonders weren't for entertainment (unless you think it's fun to hull big stones and get buried with your king in the pyramids). But, if we're going for entertainment, I still think Disneyland should be a modern wonder; beats the socks off Broadway. Sure, it's crowded, nasty and full of long lines, but you don't have to dress up . . .

warroom said:
2. White House. (add corruption to the city it's built in, but gives a big cultural bonus) :rolleyes:
12. Windows XP (slows productivity of civs with whom you have a trade route) :mad:

There, let the computer try and build all those . . . and I'll just keep building my Tanks.

Stupid Wonders

WhiteHouse - random effect, may give you GP, happiness, corruption, anarchy, or declare a war out of your control. Destruction of it by the enemy civ will show you a video clip of Independence Day

CIA - train spies with 25% bonus success rate, but will randomly give you false information

Walmart - you have a free supermarket in every city, +1 international trade route, but automatically disable all groceries already built

General Motor - the city where it builds gains 100% production bonus for 20 turns, after that it will automatically lay off 3 citizens and they will stay unhappy for 20 turns

Fenway Park - replace all religious buildings in the city where it is built. +5 happiness, +20% commerce, -10% production. Every 86 turns this city will celebrate and give you 100% production bonus for 1 turn.

MacDonald - similar to yours, except it produces 5 Big Mac, and you can use them for trade to hurt other civs' health and get their money

Civ game - +10 happiness, -50% production

warroom said:

The game is called Civilization 4, not The Sims 2.

Anyhow, most of the marvellous creations of the Civilization of man have not come from America.

I've kind of got to agree with the OP. Broadway's worldwide impact is not really on par with Hollywood or Rock N' Roll. Really, Broadway has historically only catered to a select audience, and even then, it's not exportable like the music and films.

However, I think it's clear that Broadway was included to keep any one civ from dominating the "cultural products" business. I know that playing on Prince, I have yet to snag all three--Broadway, Hollywood, and Rock N' Roll. In fact, I'm lucky if I snag one, since I make the UN a priority too.

Kilroy: You completely misunderstood me. I was calling him myopic because he bashed the US, as if soccer didn't even exist here.

Bevertje: you'll always have your beer! And Mannequinpis (sp)!

kernok said:
just a little point to clarify some important thing about soccer:

soccer is only called "soccer" in USA
american is only called "football" in... USA!

let's0 call a cat a cat: football is "football" and not "soccer"!
football is a game with a ball that is played with feet
whereas american football is a game that is played with hands (90% of the time) and it is more an handball game in fact

;)
I can't help but to respond to this clarification with more clarification.

The word Soccer originates from England. In the early 1800's there were many variations of the game played by differant English Universities. In 1882 a general rule set was finally agreed upon and the modern game of Associated Football was born. The slang name for the game was Assoc. That didn't exactly roll off the tongue. And since Rugby Football was called Rugger.. it was natural that Associated Football be called Soccer.

American Football traces it's roots to Princeton University in the early 1800's. It was first called Ballown and it had some similarities to Rugby. At Harvard a similar but differant game was also developed. After the American Civil War various colleges started their own versions of the game. And in 1867 Princeton developed some rudimentary rules and the football itself was first patented. In 1869 the first intercollegiate game was played between Princeton University and Rutgers College. And in 1873 the Intercollegiate Football Association was formed and a formal set of rules was established. The game evolved from there.

So in all actuallity American Football was established nearly a decade before English Associated Football. And so I think it is quite proper for American Football to be thusly named. So don't flame us for naming our sport Football and then calling Soccer by it's original name.

Top Bottom