1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Broadway is a joke!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Mad Hab, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Optimizer

Optimizer Sthlm, SWE

I agree that the Broadway is malplacé. Sales of copyrights to musicals have a negligible turnover, compared to sales of records and movies.

Modders should feel free to replace Broadway with a non-western alternative (even better if it's non-modern too). I am thinking of Jingdezhen - the Chinese "porcelain capital". It would be available with Engineering and produce Porcelain - less units than the sister wonders, to offset its early appearance.

Porcelain would give +1 happiness, +2 with Market.

2. Artanis

Artanis King

The three "Hits" resources replace Fur, Ivory, and Whales about the time that they start to go obsolete as +:) bonuses. So when somebody offered you a Hit in exchange for Gold, it was pretty much the same as offering Silver or Gems or Silk or some such for your Gold.

3. Mad Hab

Mad Hab Warlord

Well, soccer once was the reason for a *real* war between Honduras and El Salvador (I think), Central American countries...

That would be funny: beating a neighbour on the World Cup Final being an excuse for war, he, he! :lol:

Cheers,

Mad Hab

PS: By the way, Three Gorges Dam could become National, as well. Since the original Civ I think this wonder is way too powerful (that's why I always try to build it :D ).

4. Bushface

Bushface Deity

@Artanis - thanks for enlightening me. So it would be sufficient to keep one Hit of each type for yourself and try to trade off the others since you cannot benefit from them. I didn't understand how they were to be used.

@Mad Hab - the fact that the Three Gorges can only be built in a city which is on a river can put you at a vast disadvantage if, as happened to me a few games ago, you only have one city on the only little trickle of river on your land and that city is a splendid producer of food but not of hammers. In such a case, one of your rivals will always beat you to it. And it is scarcely an advantage at all unless you live on a good big landmass.

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yea we do :)

6. CyberTyrant

CyberTyrant Emperor

I live in the US and I care about World Cup Soccer. I watch it religiously no matter what country is playing. It's been a long 4 years. I'm ready for it now. :)

7. Rayjr

Rayjr Chieftain

well i guess I will go along with your gladiator/sport deal. Basically what I am trying to say is that they can have a pretty big impact on a country. its just a thought but I don't program I just play and play for waaaay too long.

8. Rane Khan

Rane Khan Chieftain

To bad you'll have to wait another few months then eh? (And with you most of the world including me... :( )

9. BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone Windbag of the sea

It (and the other 2 entertainment wonders) gives you an undisputed monopoly on a resource and 5 units of it - keep one for yourself and trade the others around (as the AI tried to do to you in your game).

10. LeGrandCharle

LeGrandCharle Chieftain

I would also vote for the world cup over broadway anyday!

Go France!!! repeat of 1998 and not 2002 please!
    I wouldn't mind if England won either, they are overdue...

11. Reignking

Reignking Prince

Thank God I have gol tv so that I can watch La Liga in the US...

And Canada cares about soccer -- that's why Toronto has been begging for an MLS expansion team :)

12. cthom

cthom 3,011,451,295

that's taking the entente a little too cordiale!:mischief:

13. ajil

ajil Chieftain

agreed, its lame. I think the Interstate roadway system in teh usa which is unrivalled anywhere in the world should be a wonder. Although I don't know how to implement it. Anyone else think teh nation that really built a wonder should get it a little cheaper? Like egypt has a slightly cheaper pyramids?

14. guyfamous

guyfamous Chieftain

What would a World Cup or Olympics Wonder give you that you could trade? Souvenirs? Gold Medals?

Also, why would you want to have a wonder that only gives you benefits every four years (or turns)?

I don't disagree that Broadway is the weakest of the culture trilogy, but other than a television related wonder, I don't know where you go to replace it.

15. Steve2000

Steve2000 Mighty Pirate

The wonder would be "Network Television" and it would give you 5 Hit Sit-coms to trade. Sitcoms give +1 happiness, until you discover the "Reality TV" technology which obsoletes the Sitcom.;)

16. Till

Till Adventurer

The main use of Broadway is the +50% culture bonus. It makes a cultural victory so much easier. Compared to the bonus, the resources you gain are mere fallout. If i find myself in a position to trade them, i usually try to get gold/turn deals.
    But as i said, the main use is the culture bonus and if you are not going for a cultural victory, i wouldn't bother with the wonder at all.

Edit: As for the Three Gorges Dam: I find it comes way too late to be of any use. It is far to risky to hold of the construction of power plants so long.

17. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

I can hear them discussing it now:-

"Broadway? You want Broadway as a World Wonder?"

"Yeah, well erm..well we need another modern one..and well..we can't think of one"

"Jeez there must be loads..there's...(thinks)...err..(thinks)...errrrm...Weeell yeah..when you er put it....OK Broadway it is then!"

:rolleyes:

18. gettingfat

gettingfat Emperor

Too many American wonders. Periods.

19. fpstream

fpstream Laza Faire Civilization

Globe Theatre, thought that's already in the game...

20. fpstream

fpstream Laza Faire Civilization

I'd say Germany's roadsystem is much more impressive, it has about 24 inches of pavement belows, ours, or America's, has about 8, thus the constant reconstruction and Germany's high speed limits.