[BtS] Extra Add-on 02 - Nostalgia

Chiyu

Prince
Hello everyone!

"Nostalgia" is an expansion pack for my Extra mod for Beyond the Sword. For this modcomp, I have analyzed Civilization I, Civilization II and Civilization III with their expansions, as well as Civilization Revolution with its downloadable content and looked for nice things that could easily fit in Civilization IV as well. Note that the majority of things in these games is already present in BtS (or in Extra), but certainly not everything. There are especially a lot of technologies and wonders that aren't found in BtS yet. And that's what this modcomp does!

Keep in mind that this modcomp is only compatible with Extra v3.17k!

Download link & Instructions

Download Extra Add-on 02 - Nostalgia here!

How to install:
- First, install the Extra mod in your Mods folder. If you already have Extra installed, make sure that this is version 3.17k, as it's not compatible with any other version!
- Secondly, open the contents of "Extra Add-on 02 - Nostalgia" and unzip the contents of this zipfile in exactly C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Extra (or wherever your Extra mod is located). If it asks if it can overwrite, choose "Yes, to all".
- Do NOT install this after you have already installed "Extra Add-on 03 - Lords"! It's important that you install this BEFORE Lords, otherwise you will have incomplete XML files!

As you can see it's quite simple to install the new features, but if you screw up with one of these steps, it won't work ;).

Contents

Technologies
To make this expanded techtree make sense, a few minor changes have been made to the old content as well. For example, Trade now gives you +1 trade route per city instead of Currency. And you now need The Automobile in order to build tanks. I know that these aren't all technologies found in the old Civ games, but I didn't want to add any techs that don't actually add anything. Note that in this version, most of these technologies haven't been translated in French/German/Italian/Spanish yet!

- Ceremonial Burial, from Civ, CivII, CivIII, CivRev
- Trade, from Civ
- Map Making, from Civ, CivIII
- Navigation, from Civ, CivII, CivIII *replaces "Water Works"
- Invention, from CivII, CivIII, CivRev
- Metallurgy, from CivII, CivIII, CivRev
- Espionage, from CivII, CivIII
- The Automobile, from Civ, CivII, CivRev
- Sanitation, from CivIII
- Globalization, from CivRev

Units
- Caravan, from Civ, CivII, CivRev
- Freight, from, CivII
- Guerilla, from CivII, CivIII (Conquest) *also known as "Partisan"
- Crusader, from CivII, CivIII (Conquest) *building King Richard's Crusade will give you one of these every few turns
- Victoria, N/A *building Magellan's Voyage will enable you to build one of these: an early ship with access to oceans

World Wonders
Note that I left out Adam Smith's Trading Company, Michelangelo's Chapel, Isaac Newton's University and Shakespeare's Theatre since these are already represented by the Trading Company, the Sistine Chapel, Oxford University and the Globe Theatre. I left out J.S. Bach's Cathedral as well, since I couldn't come up with any original effect. I renamed Marco Polo's Embassy to the Silk Road, since Marco Polo never built or worked in an embassy, but he did travel through the Silk Road. I'm also aware that the Arc de Triomphe is from actually a Civ4 mod, and not another Civ game, but I forgot to add it in the core Extra so I added it in this modcomp instead.
I assigned some of these wonders to the new techs, such as Ceremonial Burial, Navigation, Invention and Metallurgy to make these techs more interesting.

- Leonardo's Workshop, from CivII, CivIII, CivRev
- Trade Fair of Troyes, from CivRev
- King Richard's Crusade, from CivII, CivIII, CivRev *also known as Knights Templar
- Copernicus' Observatory, from Civ, CivII, CivIII
- Himeji Samurai Castle, from CivRev
- SETI Program, from Civ, CivII, CivIII
- Marco Polo's Embassy, from CivII *renamed to "The Silk Road"
- World Bank, from CivRev
- Tower of Babel, from CivRev
- Sydney Opera Hall, from CivRev
- The Sphinx, from CivRev
- Magellan's Expedition, from CivII
- Arc de Triomphe, from Road to War (BtS)

Projects
These were actually wonders in the games I got them from, but since they're not 'graspable', I thought Projects would be more fitting for these. I wish I could convert Magna Carta (from CivRev) and Longevity (from CivIII) to projects too, but unfortunately I don't have the programming skills for that.

- Theory of Evolution, from Civ, CivII, CivIII *also known as Darwin's Voyage
- Cure For Cancer, from Civ, CivII, CivIII

Civilizations
The Hittites were actually the only civilization from one of the other games that wasn't represented in the Extra mod already. So not too much work here :). This Hittite Empire is an adaptation from the one in CivFusion and Thomas' War. Rebalanced it a bit.

- Hittite Empire, from CivIII (Conquest)
---> Leader(s): Mursilis
---> Unique Unit: Huluganni (replaces Chariot)
---> Unique Building: Iron Forge (replaces Forge)

Credits & Acknowledgments

Since there are many wonders involved, it is not surprising that I used a lot from Tsentom's Python Wonders. Several of the technologies and other files were found in big mods such as Amra Advanced, CivFusion and Thomas' War, or here in the downloads database.

What about the Magna Carta giving you a courthouse in every city on the continent. Given the original document is the basis of the British legal system, this would fit quite well.

You don't have the most awesome unit of all, The Fanatic!

Well, as I can recall, the Fanatic was tied to a government system (fundamentalism or something?). And because there isn't such a civic in Civ4, I chose not to include it. I guess Theocracy comes close, but that's already a strong civic in its own right. What do you think? If we come up with a good, balanced way of implementing it, I guess I could add it :).

-----

I uploaded the add-on. The download link is in the first post. Please read the instructions carefully before installing this!

Hehe, well, I was just throwing out the idea, this is CivFantics, and the Fanatic is the symbol used in the site. So I was surprised you didn't include it. Anyway, the fanatic in Civ II was pretty weak, but cheap, so wasn't all that useful, but was cool in it's own way. I suppose a balanced way to impliment it would be to make the Fanatic only buildable by Theocracies, and require the State Religion in the city, make it weak, like str 10 and cheap.

Indeed, Fundamentalism was one of the unbalancing features of Civ2 (once you were advanced enough, you could just switch to Fundamentalism and steamroll over the world; it was the most-picked civic by the AI in late game as well...

As concerns left out Wonders: Adam Smith never had a Trading Company (and Trading Co. already features as a building, as you mention), Isaac Newton never had his very own University and J.S. Bach never had a Cathedral (again, Cathedral is already a building). So, no big loss there! (I agree with Jabie on the Magna Charta, BTW.)

In short: great add-on!:goodjob:

My mod has the most unorganized files! I literally have all the art in one folder and half my buildings with different names in the XML :blush: I hope it didn't give you too much trouble when looking through it. (I would like to go back and organize it, but it's kinda gotten too big that it might be impossible to do so. I only did it that way because I started making the mod before I even knew what I was doing, and then just kept on doing it).

I'm still figuring out how to call a project. I've bee searching through the SDK in my free time for the answer. I'll update Longevity to a project for you when I find out.

Hehe, well, I was just throwing out the idea, this is CivFantics, and the Fanatic is the symbol used in the site. So I was surprised you didn't include it. Anyway, the fanatic in Civ II was pretty weak, but cheap, so wasn't all that useful, but was cool in it's own way. I suppose a balanced way to impliment it would be to make the Fanatic only buildable by Theocracies, and require the State Religion in the city, make it weak, like str 10 and cheap.

Use Divine Right as the requisite tech.

I think Maceman are Strength 8 or 9, so Fanatic would be about Strength 6. The cost should be about 2/3 of a standard Strength 6 unit (are Axeman Strength 6? I forget) and they wouldn't receive any bonuses - just a flat unit. This makes them a cheap unit that only works well in numbers - meaning to get the best from them you'll take a maintenance/economy hit and lower your Science output - which ties in nicely with the fundamentalism Science penalty from Civ 2.

Furthermore, don't allow them to upgrade, or only allow them to upgrade to similar flat units - Flagellants for instance. This means they'll eventually obsolete and if you military is too dependent on them you're in big trouble when the upgrade path runs out.

Whew. Alot of missing Pedia entries. A lot of missing of missing art. None of the artwork for the added-on UU works, nor does the Pedia entries are filled out (link is missing). When trying to selected it in the game, the game crashes. Also, I checked to see if it was the right version, it is.

Edit: Only the extra civs, UU, and leaders have this error. The extra unit (Crusader), buildings and techs, however do work as they should.

@phungus/JEELEN/Jabie: Thanks for the input. I'll be sure to add the Fanatic in the next version :).

@tsentom1: It wasn't that bad ;). I only had some difficulties finding for the proper text files.

@PreLynMax: Yeah, what smeagolheart says is true.. At the moment, the two expansion packs (Nostalgia and Lords) really 'need' eachother in order to work 100%. In other words, they haven't been truly split from each other yet.

I'll do my best to separate them completely, so you don't need Lords anymore. Give me a minute and I'll re upload it. Shouldn't take long :). Sorry for the inconvenience.

@phungus/JEELEN/Jabie: Thanks for the input. I'll be sure to add the Fanatic in the next version :).

Hey, that's not what I said!:lol:

I'll do my best to separate them completely, so you don't need Lords anymore. Give me a minute and I'll re upload it. Shouldn't take long :). Sorry for the inconvenience.

None taken. (What's wrong with Lords? I DLed both of 'em and my stuff seems to work fine. Also, I thought you said you were gonna make a Complete Install? Is that now a no-no?)

Well JEELEN, you did give input and warned me about the unbalance of fundamentalism/fanatics ;). So I'll be extra careful :p. There's nothing wrong with Lords, so don't worry ;). I'll put the complete install (Extra Full, in contrast to Extra Core) on-line as soon as I complete all the translations. Expect it later this weekend :).

Any chance of some of the other features from the Civ games.

I don't recall too much about Civ I and Civ II, but Civ III had:

* Embassies - You could probably take the code from Rhye's where you get free Comms with adjacent nations but have to establish embassies in non-adjacent ones.
* Tourism - Some wonders gave a small commerce bonus if they were old enough.
* Trade Territory Map - A partial map which only showed your territory. Costs less to purchase than World Map.

For the next update, I want to use some basic ideas from Call to Power, Alpha Centauri and of course the present future/space oriented mods to rework the Future Era. I'm not satisfied with it's current state, it seems so dull compared to the other eras.

At the very least I'm going to implement terraforming and add some upgraded ground units. Please let me know if you have any other ideas or suggestions to put in the future era that could be implemented without too much trouble (nothing related to aliens please :p).

Hey Chiyu,

I have problems getting the nostalgia addon started. I do have the civ4 complete version and did the 3.17k install of your extra mod. After that I wanted to install the addon just like your instructions went:

open the contents of "Extra Add-on 02 - Nostalgia" and unzip the contents of this zipfile in exactly C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Extra (or wherever your Extra mod is located). If it asks if it can overwrite, choose "Yes, to all".

I followed that but when starting bts extra the starting screen was missing the option text (just those glowing arrows for the options)

Any idea what went wrong:hmm:

-> I didn't use the lord addon!

Top Bottom