[BTS]Mounted Upgrades

Canadian Ninja

Chieftain
Mounted Upgrades

Historically, one thing has always bothered me about this game. After World War I, cavalry units were mainly retrained as tank crews. Even in the game, mounted units and tanks share the same main drawback of having no defensive bonuses from terrain. And yet for some strange reason, cavalry upgrades into gunships. This is a minor XML fix for that.

• Cavalry, Cossacks and Conquistadors now promote to Tanks instead of Gunships
  • Stables and Gers now obsolete with Industrialism, not Advanced Flight and Rocketry

Now, if you distrust XML edits or if you have other XML mods, it's a fairly simple task. Under spoiler tags for length.

Spoiler :
It goes without saying, but make backups of the files. First, changing the upgrades. Get into the unit files for BtS (Beyond the Sword > Assets > XML > Units). Open up CIV4UnitInfos.xml in Notepad.

Ctrl-F is obviously your friend here. First one you'll want to go to is Cossack. The first hit should be:
Code:
		<UnitInfo>
			<Class>UNITCLASS_CAVALRY</Class>
			<Type>UNIT_RUSSIA_COSSACK</Type>

Scroll up from here to get to Cavalry. (Because Ctrl-F > Cavalry would've taken longer.) The text you're looking for is:
Code:
			<UnitClassUpgrades>
				<UnitClassUpgrade>
					<UnitClassUpgradeType>UNITCLASS_GUNSHIP</UnitClassUpgradeType>
					<bUnitClassUpgrade>1</bUnitClassUpgrade>
				</UnitClassUpgrade>
			</UnitClassUpgrades>

Replace UNITCLASS_GUNSHIP with UNITCLASS_TANK. Scroll down and repeat for Cossack. The only difference with the Conquistador is it has a second upgrade class as well.
Code:
			<UnitClassUpgrades>
				<UnitClassUpgrade>
					<UnitClassUpgradeType>UNITCLASS_CAVALRY</UnitClassUpgradeType>
				</UnitClassUpgrade>
				<UnitClassUpgrade>
					<UnitClassUpgradeType>UNITCLASS_GUNSHIP</UnitClassUpgradeType>
				</UnitClassUpgrade>
			</UnitClassUpgrades>

Naturally, don't touch UNITCLASS_CAVALRY. We're done with UnitInfos, so save and back out of Units to the XML folder and go into Buildings. We're looking for CIV4BuildingInfos.xml this time. Open it with Notepad again. Ctrl-F, stable. This time, the obvious portion doesn't stick out like the gunships. What you're looking for is:
Code:
<ObsoleteTech>TECH_ADVANCED_FLIGHT</ObsoleteTech>

Simply change that to TECH_INDUSTRIALISM. Scroll down to the Ger; the only difference is that the original says Rocketry instead of Advanced Flight. That's it; save and exit.

So once this edit is carried out, you will no longer be able to build Cavalry/Cossacks when Tanks are available either, correct?

Sounds right to me. I can't think of any other time in the game when you can build a unit that can immediately upgrade, though.

Good work, keep moding :D

Top Bottom