• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

BTS problem.....uhggggg

Transkar

Chieftain
Just bought it this morning and now I'm going through the same bull I had to go through when with civ4. I just installed it and when I click on it everything loads and then it goes to the black screen. After this I hear the faint sound of the 2k logo song and then it stops running and says, "BTS has encountered a serious problem and must close". I send the error report but it gives me no solution. If I bought it this morning.....shouldn't it have the new patch as well?

No if you bought it this morning it probably does not have the 3.03 patch on it since the cds were produced much earlier. And it is a good thing too since the 3.03 patch does not do any good unless you are running Vista (are you?).
Since it does give you a windoofs error report - could you just click on "show report" and post what it tells you in the upper part of it (especially what .dll causes the crash). It might be a problem with playing the intro video, which could easily be fixed.
FYI the first real patch is due out in about 2 weeks or a bit more...

No if you bought it this morning it probably does not have the 3.03 patch on it since the cds were produced much earlier. And it is a good thing too since the 3.03 patch does not do any good unless you are running Vista (are you?).
Since it does give you a windoofs error report - could you just click on "show report" and post what it tells you in the upper part of it (especially what .dll causes the crash). It might be a problem with playing the intro video, which could easily be fixed.
FYI the first real patch is due out in about 2 weeks or a bit more...

binkw32.dll

If you could help I would greatly appreciate it :)

binkw32.dll seems to be a problem for a lot of people - it is a video problem by the way. Since I am lazy I'll just quote a few things I posted in other threads on this problem. The first quote will probably help, the other lists a few more options:
Sorry - the only thing you might try (since this thing is only necessary for the videos) is to open the .../My Games/Beyond the Sword/CivilizationIV.ini and change the

; Set to 1 for no intro movie

NoIntroMovie = 0

setting to 1 - *maybe* that lets you actually get past the intro screen, but I have to admit that I don't really believe that will help, other then that - I am really out of ideas

Edit: Virulent was faster...

Does it crash only with wonder movies?
How about the following: open CivilizationIV.ini in your .../My Games/Beyond the Sword directory and change any (one at a time ) of the following values
to 1
Code:
; Dont show the game background during movies - may speed up movie playing
HideMovieBackground = 0

; Show movies using hi-color, not true-color (may be faster)
Bink16Bit = 0

; Copy ever other scanline during movie playback (faster)
BinkInterlace = 0
or to 0
Code:
; Don't skip frames if falling behind
BinkNoSkip = 1

; Copy entire image each frame, not just dirty pixels
BinkCopyAll = 1
maybe that resolves the crash (if it is due to hardware issues...)

edit: I just read the stuff about binkw32.dll, maybe try the stuff we tried here

binkw32.dll seems to be a problem for a lot of people - it is a video problem by the way. Since I am lazy I'll just quote a few things I posted in other threads on this problem. The first quote will probably help, the other lists a few more options:

Thank you it fixed it. I tried it with viewing the movies but the movies don't work....so I just turned those off too. Hopefully they can fix this in the future. Thank you though!

Top Bottom