1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BtS] Rise of Mankind

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by zappara, Aug 17, 2007.

1. xbeanerx

xbeanerx Warlord

What we need is the axis of evil as w.bush said N.Korea,iran,Iraq and we must have hitler:crazyeye: and the Nazi SS. I would like to play as the united states and declare war on the Axis of Evil and Spread democracy with Bullets!!
    i would also like a Earth map for RoM with 18 Civs or More.

2. Bastian-Bux

Bastian-Bux King

Well, including Hitler and such means I, and many germans can't play yet another mod.

Sorry, it might give you nazi worshippers an orgasm to play that freak, but for us living in a country with history, it means: playing this mod is a crime, punishable with up to 3 years in jail.

Guys, do you have ANY idea about real history? Then you wouldn't be so eager to get that "leader" in. What you wish for is destroying the game for others, because as I said: german law includes paragraphs that forbid:

- glorification of Hitler, the SS and such
    - showing the swastika and related signs

And those laws are rather strict and clear, and yes, they ARE probably the main reason Firaxis left that guy and the symbols out.

But go on, make this mod unplayable for a major group of players.

Bastian-Bux who slowly gets REALY angry with those f... up people that think its nice to play a monster like Hitler. And also with those wannabe "freedom fighters" that pee their pants when they can replay those stupid "US hero kills nazis" movies.

3. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

I agree with u but then again why is it ok to have equally bad monsters like Stalin or Mao in the game, equally as bad as they were to Hitler, and perfectly legal in germany?

4. Bastian-Bux

Bastian-Bux King

I wouldn't have included Stalin myself. Actually, I would have left out everyone that isn't dead since at least 100 years. So anyone younger then Victoria would be out. But Stalin would be left out by me anyway. If you need a 20th century russian leader, use Lenin, who was (comparatively) the lesser evil of the two.

But you named one (albeit questionable) reason why Stalin and Mao can be in: glorification of those persons isn't illegal in the major markets for Civ 4.

And while its not "in" to follow the laws of your home country, some of us (older) players try to stay on the right side of the law. For those having trouble understanding why, I suggest you research philosophy ingame, and listen carefully to the voiceover.

So while Stalin and Mao SHOULD be left out for ethical reasons, Hitler MUST be left out for legal reasons. If he is brought in by a mod, this mod becomes illegal by german law. And I suppose France, Poland, Russia and some other european states have regulations concerning Hitler and the swastika as well.

5. Sword_Of_Geddon

Total Realism mod is illegal in Germany as a result....

6. xbeanerx

xbeanerx Warlord

first of all A-hole U.S Heros and all Military personal Serving our country are Not stupid so Watch it!!!
    and if you have a Problem with stalin mao or hitler then do NOT play and go cry some were else!!
    God Bless America!!!!!!:goodjob:

7. Bastian-Bux

Bastian-Bux King

First off my dear xbeanerx, learn to understand english. You totally and utterly misinterpreted my sentence.

I did call the movies stupid. You might be even able to construct an indirect connection between the word stupid and "wannabe freedom fighters". Its beyond me how you managed to drag in us military personal though. Never mentioned them, but well.

Second, you are the first person here who earned a report by me to the mods. Not because of your stance towards Hitler. Not for your overly patriotic flagg waving. You earned it simple by insulting me, and thereby breaking the forum rules. And to top it: insulting me, because you are unable or unwilling to understand a plain english sentence.

8. CiverDan

CiverDan Warlord

FYI...Any WWII related game that involves Germany uses subsitute leaders for Hitler and substitute symbols for the swastika (a "+" sign on a red background is fairly common, Axis & Allies uses this so I am fairly sure it is an acceptable substitute) precisely for the reason that the game needs to be saleable in Germany. I think players who play WWII based games do have a general understanding of this fact and realize in this special case realism does have to take a back seat.

Well one can make their own decisions about their Mod, IMHO mod makers should keep this fact in mind.

9. Drew77

Drew77 Chieftain

Is there a way you could play this mod on a giant earth map with more than just 18 civs? And if there is a way could someone let me know.Thanks and AWSOME job on the mod btw.

10. darkedone02

darkedone02 The Suggestor

Well I finnaly reinstalled Civ 4 and the expansion pack and redownloaded this mod including the new version. First off I got some bugs to report

-The bright terrain bug continue to occur into this game, I started a new game, and after I was organizing my tech chart, it appear brighting the terrain and disabling all the world builder tools.

-In the civilopedia, at the cottage improvement, I hit hamlet and cause a CTD, fix that please.

now for my suggestions:
    -It's time we add in a menu music for your mod, along with a good soundtrack for each age.

-The Women's voice need work on, it's all "HMPH!!!!" all time I've selected the English archer, I want to hear there voice in there English.

-I was thinking that we should make a gender randomizer on our units, like after we build that unit, there is a chance that 50% of them are mens and 50% of them are women. We need something like that in our game unless you want to be realistic.

-usually I turn on the quick combat cause combat usually become slow and useless to watch because of the lack of animations for it, and I've already made a thread of unique combat animations. I wonder if your team or any other team can make new animations for your mod so that it won't be the same over and over.

-The spy model need to change every age, so I recommend getting your modelers to make a change on spy on each age, make them look more realistic.

11. Tapok

Tapok Chieftain

I'm getting an error in this when I try to load the Ice Age scenario. I'm using v0.8 with the 0.94 minipatch, and the Extra Stuff mod. I have re-installed the game (Civ 4 AND Beyond the Sword), then patched it, then installed the mod, three times now. The crash is a simple "Encountered a problem and has to close" error.

Specs are:
    3gb RAM
    Windows XP
    Nvidia 8600GT
    Intel Core2 6300 1.86ghz

12. puldzian

puldzian Chieftain

ever seen female knight? i think that gender equality would better fit future units and so.

13. Sword_Of_Geddon

I don't think any changes are nessarsary, except for the removal of the industrial age bug. Soundtrack is fine as it is.

14. darkedone02

darkedone02 The Suggestor

Well the soundtrack for this game is needed if you want to make your game unique in a way, unless you just tend to use your internet radio.

15. Sword_Of_Geddon

What your suggesting is unnessesary for gameplay purposes for this mod and quite difficult to do in civ4. Plus I think Civ4's music is fine as it is.

16. xbeanerx

xbeanerx Warlord

I agree with you buddy i think the original CIV4 Sound track is Great Plus i have the full sound track that came with my Civ4 game i like to bump those songs loud when i Driving my honda Accord SE with H22A Engine turbo charged+intake
    and i have a custom Logo of Civ4 on my back window!
    Civ is the greatest RTS game ever!!!
    I cant wait for GTA4 and halo3, assasins creed,resident evil5,MGS4

17. Bastian-Bux

Bastian-Bux King

RTS = real time strategy, means the game is running continiously, like real time
    TBS = turn based strategy, means the game waits till you press "next turn"

Now I might be mistaken, but how do you get the impression Civ 4 would be a RTS game?

I'd suggest you take a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn-based_strategy#Mainstream_PC_games especially this sentence:

18. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

I was going to add few civilizations (like Hittites which was already added). Civilization modules can't be used directly with my mod since there needs to be certain changes to those modules first. If someone wants to convert them to RoM, let me know. I'll try to make couple myself later.

No, I won't be adding those to my mod. If I add new civs to my mod (not as modules), they will be ancient civilizations which might not even exist nowadays. Other modders can make civilization module which include things you describe but it's up to them to make it.

I'm aware of those facts which is why I won't be adding any of those to this mod. I want this mod to be playable everywhere :)

See thread in RoM sub-forum: Maps for RoM. If someone makes new maps for Rise of Mankind, please let me know and I'll add them to that thread.

BtS scenarios won't work with Rise of Mankind. Load regular BtS if you want to play those scenarios that came with BtS.

I'll try to get next update ready for upload this week - been bit busy in real life so haven't had much time to concentrate on modding past 2 weeks.

19. Sword_Of_Geddon

Will the update fix the Industrial crash? :blush:

20. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

If it was caused by draft ctd bug, then yes. If it's caused by something else, then no (still to find the bug if this is the case). I still got to do some test games to see how it goes at renaissance/industrial era.