[BtS] Super Spies

Will try that. Possibly tonight or definately during the weekend.

It does sound as though there's some kind of cache issue here, only it seems that the cache files actually fix the problem as it worked AFTER I had HiTM savegame loaded. I'll of course have to try more times - two isn't much of a base for statistics...

On the other hand, doesn't the game clear the cache and load everything from scratch when you load a new mod? Well, guess I'll just have to give it a go.

Thinking like crazy... :confused:

\Skodkim

Just had 5 minuttes and tried a little test.

1: Cleared the cache, loaded the savegame and hit end turn - No crash!
2: Loaded the savegame with super spies cache present from last load, hit retirn - CTD
3: Cleared the cache, loaded the savegame and hit end turn - No crash!
4: Loaded the savegame with super spies cache present from last load, hit retirn - CTD
5: ... (you get the picture)

Theres a pattern here - the cache!!

I've uploaded it in case it helps.

\Skodkim

Have you tried clearing the cache, starting a new game, and only using that game (not reloading any of the "bad" games at all)?

Another thing is to try changing the line in Super Spies.ini that reads:

"ModularLoading = 1"

to

"ModularLoading = 0"

Doubt it will have any effect, but I'm grasping for straws as is...

Just cleared the cache, set modular loading to 1 and started a new SS game.

It seemed to work fine but when I loaded again with the cache present it had a CTD after 3 turns. I tried clearing the cache again, reloading the same savegame and now theres no CTD's.

The only thing I can see happening is the opponent switching to Confucianism.

It just always seems to work with a clear cache.

\Skodkim

I was suggesting 0 for the modular loading not 1, as I said though I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make a difference. Regardless I'll try to do some research into what is actually stored in the cache and see what if anything SS would place there that the game would care about.

Sorry, my test was with modular=0

Just to make this even more confusing I can now load and play the game without clearing the cache even though the CTD I had was very consistent before when I did exactly that.

I even made a comparison of the content in all the present cache files and the ones from when I had the CTD and its the same!

I simply cannot crack this one!

\Skodkim

Was there a reboot between it working intermittently and working consistently? With many technical problems that's all it takes. If you're saying you can't reproduce it anymore though, I'm going to write this down as case closed until someone else chimes in with the same problem.

NikNaks, from what I've observed the cache is created at start up if it's been cleared so unless another mod or the base game itself was loaded inbetween you're right, the cache should remain the same.

Skodkim, didn't you mention playing your History in the Making Save (sorry I didn't get the acronym until just now) in between and getting the crash when you reloaded SS? That could certainly corrupt the cache.

Surely clearing the cache is a one-off, and the files there have been replaced with the new, correct files now?

Sure, it was a new set of files but I opened them all and compared the content - they were identical.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

\Skodkim

I think you should just close it for the time being even though I really don't like it.

As long as I can't find out what caused/causes and no one else seems to report any problems theres no idea in spending the amount of time you and I have been spending on it lately.

\Skodkim

I don't like leaving it at that either, but it does appear that removing the modular XML at least partially resolved the issue so that's something. I'm probably going to do some more testing once my friend who had the CTDs as well is done moving and can play again, but in the meanwhile I'm going to do a complete review of the XML and make sure nothing looks fishy or sloppy. From what I understand of the cache it mainly houses XML not DLL changes, so if clearing the cache is somehow helping the problem then the problem is probably in the XML (something I had hoped to avoid through piggybacking promotions on existing effects and what not, but apparently failed at).

Could either of you try 1.1 and see if it fixes the problem or not? That would at least let me know if it was introduced in 1.2 or not.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Super Spies 1.1.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 297
Could either of you try 1.1 and see if it fixes the problem or not? That would at least let me know if it was introduced in 1.2 or not.

Thanks!

As I recall there wqas also a CTD problem with 1.1.

I'll give it ago as soon as I've got the time but it would be really nice if you could give some kind of hint as to when those CTD occured so that we do not start chasing the same things again.

\Skodkim

I got to play around a little this morning. I plugged in 1.1 and it ran perfectly fine for me. 1.21 unfortunately has the same CTD problem that 1.2 does after I start my first turn. If I DONT settle on my first turn it will not crash after I hit enter, but it will crash latter on during the game.

Any more builds I can test? Again replacing the CvGameCoreDLL.dll works so what does that affect? The promotions or new A.I.? I'll try as many builds as you need me to in order to get this mod working 100%, I think it fixes one of the two big complaints players have had (espionage and corporations) in a really elegant way.

PS I'm working on corporations.

That's actually very helpful, an unrelated CTD that had to do with merging with another mod had me thinking 1.1 was broken as well, but that really narrows down the possibilities.

I should have another copy up tonight, 1.2 didn't add *that* much functionality so it shouldn't take terribly long to figure out what's going on.

One test that would be really helpful in the meanwhile... can you try using the 1.2 DLL with the 1.1 mod? If it still crashes I think I know what the culprit is.

One test that would be really helpful in the meanwhile... can you try using the 1.2 DLL with the 1.1 mod? If it still crashes I think I know what the culprit is.

Aparently using any DLL other than the 1.1 version automatically crashes the game before it finishes loading the map (i.e. before you find out which random civ you ended up with). Probably not too helpfull.

Aparently using any DLL other than the 1.1 version automatically crashes the game before it finishes loading the map (i.e. before you find out which random civ you ended up with). Probably not too helpfull.

In my experience, this indicates an issue with the Civ4MissionInfos.xml file. Don't know if this is helpful...

Cheers,
ripple01

Sadly no that's not very helpful, but I do have some good news. I switched compilers, and finally managed to reproduce the CTDs on my system. I've found and fixed at least one of the causes (it was also present in the compilation mod I play with which now appears to work fine), but I'm a bit stuck at finding whatever else is causing it... more to come :)

Top Bottom