[BtS][WoC] Rapture

johny smith

Deity
Well I want to perhaps start fresh with this mod again now that it has been so long. I am open to any suggestions. I started a thread here for that purpose if anyone is interested.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=350260

WoC Lite Rapture found here.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=10440

RevDCM Rapture merge here.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14017

RevDCM Rapture merge (only religions)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14028

Missing art path overwrite the art folder with this art folder.(less than a megabyte)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=240056&d=1263414117

Ok here is just a showcase file at this point for Rapture. The mod intends to drastically change the way religions play in the game. This is just a small intro to what is being worked on.

The religions are founded in 4 different ways. Either on the start of the game, by building a shrine, through a technology, or by a prophet making a religious schism.

The game is set to have many different varieties of religions that do not act like a copy of another, but everything is not there yet. This is at an alpha stage. I am putting here early for people to get a taste of it and to show them if they want to get their feet wet with working with it.

It uses the WoC modular system and comes with greatly extended Font files. As is set now there are 94 religions planned and available to be worked with in the mod, but comes with 30 full denominations at this point.

Project Subforums can be found here.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=353

This will be updated in the future.

I would like to thank everyone that has helped with the mod.
Faichele the main programmer for the super job, Mr Genie for the humongous Font files being able to work in BtS, Rockinroger for a gigantic amount of xml work, Hrochland for many super buildings, Refar for quite a few really nice buildings, the Total Realism crew for their great art, Arain for movies(but not all in yet), and many more.

Now the general set up of what you see is very different from the standard game. You have 4 types of religions all with a different way of being implemented. The 4 types are as follows.

1.Families--These are basic culturally related religious beliefs. These are the names you see as Nordic for example. These are the first stages of religion, and are founded at the start of your civilization building its first city.

2.Cults(try the Greeks for an example)--These require a family in order to be made. Similar to how religions are in the Gods of Old mod. Each are focused on one god from the family. Like for example Zeus being a cult of Hellenism. These will require a building to built similar to Gods of Old.

3.Faiths--These are the standard religions as found in BtS. These are founded via a technology. These from the parent in a parent child relationship with the child being the denominations. For example Catholic being a parent and Protestant being a splinter off of Christianity.

4.Denominations--These are like the faiths but are founded by a prophet performing a religious schism. Schisms can occur in two ways: Via a prophet mission, and based on game years.

Now on top of this the WoC is introducing some new commerces. Spiritual being the primary commerce for religions in the future. There are now 5 new commerces in the works.

1. Happiness
2. Health
3. Experience
4. Philosophical
5. Spiritual

Each beginning family and cult is planned for sure at this point to receive a different combination or these commerces with holy cities and for having the state religion in other cities. The AI can perform all of the things as well. No more just player can do it. If the AI can not do it what is the point.

There is more in the working, but I want to explain what is the principles with the 94 religions planned. Later on a religion decay system is planned with this, and of course the AI is going to see this. We plan to add Revolutions with some tweaking as well at a later point.

More screenshots.

More in the works now as the screenshots show below.

0.14 Screenshot

It is now sorry did not know https does not work at CFC, and good to see you are still around Vrenir.

I can't wait to see what you have created...I still remember when I was giving advice for this mod. I hope the upload happens soon.

I tried downloading again, but I kept getting this when I click the download link. Has anybody successfully downloaded this mod? Is it simply that I need to try a different browser or something?

Not Found

The requested URL /worldofciv.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wocrapture/Installer/Rapture 0.1.exe was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Strange. I had everyone available online at the time from the WoC try it. If there is still an error I may upload the installer instead of giving a link.

Edit: Nevermind sorry the file is to big for that.

It seems to be downloadable if you use the svn

Did you include Arianism? It was really important in the early christian church and lasted until the collapse of the Ostrogothic Empire. At a few times it was more popular that Christianity itself.

Arianism and Neopagan are not in for the moment. May be added in the future. I had to start with something and spread them out to have denominations for all of the religions. The list follows.

Jewish

Pharisees
Sadducees
Essenes
Karaites

Christian

Nestorian
Coptic
Orthodox
Catholic
Protestant

Islam

Sunnism
Shiism
Kharijism
Mu'tazilism
Isma'ilism

Iran

Mazdaism
Zurvanism
Manicheanism
Baha'i

Hinduism

Smarthan
Shaivan
Viashnavan
Shakti

Buddhism

Theravada
Vajrayana
Mahayana
Zen

Chinese

Confucianism
Taoism
Mohism
Legalism

Downloaded and tried out this impressive mod. I started as the Indians and founded a handful of religions (Shaivism, Mazdaism, and Pharisaism). I later also founded Catholicism.

I was impressed with how the city started out with the Vedic religion, and how everyone I met also had their natural starting faith (Sumarian for Gilgamesh, Celtic for Napoleon, and Siberian for Genghis). Very smooth implementation there, and nice touch setting them apart by having no missionary units of features other than the basic bonuses.

Everything seemed to go as expected until I discovered Theology. Then, suddenly, I got all these notices at the top of my screen saying that ____ had been founded in Delhi. As best I could figure, every Hindu, Zoroastrian, and Jewish sect had, simultaneously and without my intent, decided to split off and found in my city! My city went from having four religions to having over ten in a matter of two or three turns.

If this is supposed to be how it works, I understand the intent, having factions automatically form in the only city with the parent faith present. I suppose that it's also more normal to have a single religion present in that city instead of four.

At the same time, the mechanic seems a bit wanting. Perhaps if it were a little more spread-out using the event system or some such thing.

The religions so far seem very similar to one another, but I'm sure that differentiating them will come in future versions.

My other impression from trying this mod was that I love the idea of adding more commerce types (spiritual and experience). However, while I saw the icons, I still have no idea what they are there for or what the yields are supposed to accomplish. Perhaps they are only there as a demonstration of a feature that isn't really in existence yet. If so, I'd simply like to hear more about it.

Two ideas that you may want to work on: possibly using an adaptive religion screen such as in the new Just Another Religion Mod? It would make the religion advisor much less cluttered without actually requiring you to drop religious options.

Also, the same new mod also has figured out how to create original religion spread effects for missionaries. You may want to look into that, as it would compliment your excellent icon work make your mod look even more professional.

One final thing. The game said, "You have founded Pharisees." It really would be better if it said, "You have founded Pharisaism."

Anyway, those are my first impressions. Again, an amazing piece of work. I will be watching your continued progress with much interest.

Top Bottom