BTS won't load mods

Sir Shfvingle

Chieftain
Hey all, I've seen this problem posted time and time again, only to be resolved with magical fixes that I can't find. I have Civ 4 complete, non-steam, installed in the default location. The mods I've tried to play so far are C2C and RTW historical. The mods that come with the game work, but whenever I go Advanced>Load a mod>xxx The game closes, but no mod begins to load. I've already tried the .ini file fix, to no avail. I have Win 7 64 bit. If anyone can provide insight into how I can actually play mods, it would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

I don't know if this is your problem or not but when I first started trying to install mods with steam I always installed them in the wrong place.

Don't install them here:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Mods

Install them here:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods

He said "non-steam"...

I would have to guess that what is needed is to update to v3.19 from v3.17, which is the version that you probably get with Complete. Most mods need 3.19, unless you specifically dig back to find old versions from before that patch came out. Do not trust the in-game update thing, it often fails and sometimes fails but tells you it succeeded. Check the version even if you think you updated.

Hey all, I've seen this problem posted time and time again, only to be resolved with magical fixes that I can't find. I have Civ 4 complete, non-steam, installed in the default location. The mods I've tried to play so far are C2C and RTW historical. The mods that come with the game work, but whenever I go Advanced>Load a mod>xxx The game closes, but no mod begins to load. I've already tried the .ini file fix, to no avail. I have Win 7 64 bit. If anyone can provide insight into how I can actually play mods, it would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

I had this issue with a Windows 8 comp recently; I fixed it by removing the folder's "Read Only" status.

I have non steam version. tried running as administrator.

I tried removing the read only from the folder and all other folders but as soona s I close the properties and look again the box is sitll filled.

I can't load any mods still I already resintalled the game. And as the OP said the game after pressing ok for restarting it
Already is to 3.19 but nothing works.

As I said, bTS patched to 3.19 already. I go to single player, play scenario, go to RFC 3000bc, then it asks me to restart I say yes. it closes and it stays closed.

What do I do?

Moderator Action: This post was later merged from its own thread into this thread, so don't be confused while reading!

First let me apologize I replied on another forum last night, but my post isn't there anymore I am not sure why so if is there but my internet is acting weird forgive me for posting and starting a new topic.

REgardless it is the same post somewhat.

Running Windows 8, I have played Civ 4 Before, the discs are clean...brand new no scratches nothing I amc areful with my discs.

I installed as an administrator, I run it as an administrator, I tried changing the target address to end with the mod name. I tried removing the read only from the folder but windows 8 puts it back, but it wasn't a problem before.

basically I load Civ 4/warlords/BTS and I go to advance, load mod, and if I press Ok the game asks me to restart I press OK, the game closes and stays close. I've waited more than enough time, hell I went to eat on one try but nothing.

The game simply doesn't restart.

it is patched to 3.19 in bts, I can play the normal game just wont load any mods. I am trying to load Rhye's and Fall 3000bc. I've tried others, same thing happens.

I've already tried removing the game and installing back 3 times.
I've installed it on the Desktop under a folder GAmes/Civ IV

Please help.

ok I keep typing it like this

attrib -r +s C:\Users\John Shepard\Desktop\Civilization IV

I also change the r for lower case R, same with the S, and it keeps saying

Parameter format not correct -

I don't know what else to change. The reply you mentioned has spaces

Anything besides that maybe?...

Couldn't edit for some reason. But it appears I found the answer, went around looking more, and found a tip on clearing cache on finding the folder... never found the folder but holding shift during start up did it. Still strange the game doesn't "ask me" to restart to laod the mod, it simply closes and restarts, but hey beggars can't be choosers at least it works fornow...

try

Code:
attrib -r -s "c:\your path" /s

if you put the path in quotes you will get an error if you made a spelling error. secondly you need to do that with the cIV folder in programs. c:\users\... just saves settings.

after you have done that you can right click on your cIV folder and uncheck the read only box, apply for subfolders and it should keep that setting now.

Since the introduction of Windows Vista C:\Program Files is a protected location, changes to programs installed at this location will have no effect.
There are ways for program writers to get round this but this is not relevant for Civ4 as it was written for XP.
The simplest solution to your problem is to uninstall using Programs and features and install to a different location.
Create a folder on the C drive called Games and install the game to this location and run your mods.
Final install location should look something like this C:\Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword

For more details read this thread Installing Civ 4 on Windows 7/Vista (32-/64-bit)

Since the introduction of Windows Vista C:\Program Files is a protected location, changes to programs installed at this location will have no effect.
i run win7 and have bts installed there and got the write only property removed, see my posts above. it is just a bit of a hassle to get it to work.

i run win7 and have bts installed there and got the write only property removed, see my posts above. it is just a bit of a hassle to get it to work.
The write protection on program files is the same for vista, win 7 and win 8. Your solution is as you say its a lot of hassle, maybe more than its worth and defiantly not recommended. It is not a requirement to install programs to the default location you can install them to any folder on any drive, seems to me to be a much simpler and more effective solution but I'm glad you got it working.

If you want to play C2C (Caveman2Cosmos, the loading time USED to be around 15 minutes for the 1st time you load it, then after than less than 2 minutes.

Also if it is C2C, pls ask in that thread, thx, if not, ask in that MOD's thread, you get better questions answered there. . . . SO

Top Bottom