1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Buffy 005 launched - try it out with 3 new Gauntlets!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Noble Zarkon, Jun 8, 2018.

1. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Ok ...just trying to see if you are using different settings so I can try to reproduce.

Is there anything unique about your setup/system. Steam Version? (Same for @SittinDown too)

You can zip up your logs and upload

2. Tonny

Tonny Chieftain

There's nothing special about my system. Bought the full game online at gamersgate and playing under Windows 10, no cd.
    See attached file for the logs

Attached Files:

3. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Thanks, there are a whole load of errors like this indicating it can't find your Map scripts:-
    Code:
    ImportError: No module named Archipelago
    Failed to load python module Archipelago.
    ERR: Call function getModPath failed. Can't find module Archipelago.py
    Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<string>", line 1, in ?
    Can you try re-downloading and re-installing Buffy 005, normally we would get you to run AssetChecker but @Denniz is still working on getting this updated for 005.

4. Tonny

Tonny Chieftain

re-installed and tried again. still the same problem

5. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

It works the first time though?

What about with the files from this entry, can you open them?

6. lymond

I see gamersgate version is steam, right?

7. Tonny

Tonny Chieftain

@Noble Zarkon
    The first game plays without problems
    I will check the files tomorrow
    @lymond
    It's not a steam version. It was a full download and from there on I installed the game.

8. lymond

Ok..they must have switched to a steam version more recently. Is the Complete Edition or each separate?

If separate, do you or must you install vanilla and BTS?

I'm asking to understand the file structure. Most maps come from the vanilla public maps folder so I'm trying to see with there is something peculiar there.

When you performed the Vista fixes way back when, did you do the Permissions on the Civ IV root or just BTS. Same with the Read-Only uncheck.

@Tonny edit ;)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  9. Tonny

Tonny Chieftain

It's Civ IV Complete Edition (Vanilla, Warlords and BtS)

10. lymond

Of course, it is odd that you don't have this issue with 003 but do in 005 - can't think of any reason for that, but I want to rule out something simple first until we get a larger sampling when more folks try out 005. (Note: NZ and I cannot reproduce your issue)

I used to have a DD version from D2D of Complete, but can't remember the folder structure - it was a bit odd from their original versions (I owned separately and then they switch to Complete). I had disks before that and now use the Steam. I don't have the Gamersgate version but assume it is similar to D2D's.

I recommend doing the Vista fix thing again. So do the following (and I know you've probably done all this before):

1) Uninstall 005
    2) Run Civ IV vanilla once..just in case you have never run vanilla before
    3) At the highest level folder (Firaxis or Civ IV Complete or whatever), give Full Control to all users under Security. Also, uncheck the "Read-Only" check box. (all under Properties ofc)
    4) Do the same for the Documents/My Games/Civ IV Complete or whatever (vanilla, warlords and BTS may have separate folders there..not sure)
    5) Install 005 using "run as administrator" privilege
    6) make sure your BTS executable is set to "run as administrator", which you probably already do

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  11. SittinDown

SittinDown Chieftain

I changed the 'Compatibiltiy Mode' for the main .exe from Windows XP SP 3, which I must have set the 1st time I tried getting HOF mod working to Windows 7 (which is my OS).

It seems to be running much better now. My game was crashing every time I tried to quit. I never had that problem before.

I had that issue sometimes on 003 after starting a couple of games. I played around with it today, and noticed that each time it failed, my system memory was about 4 gigs in use, so it could be an x86 issue.

.....I also noticed that I can't regenerate map after settling 1st city sometimes now and moving the 1st unit, whereas before I could regenerate map as long as it was still turn-0. Not sure what affects that or if I'm just missing a "that's how it's supposed to work thing"

12. lymond

Civ IV should run fine on Win 7 (unless that is what you meant). [Ah..Win 7 is such a good OS...I regret switching my older machine to 10, so I could still have it on one of of them running 7]

I know what you mean about the regen, but not sure if that is by design or not. It certainly was not something that came up during development and testing. However, as one who tends to generate maps manually myself, from a single "template" save, I know there is something that stops regen after settling the first city or after Turn 0. I believe the deal then would run a test with and without the mod to see if somehow the mod is doing something different with regen than the vanilla game.

I should mention though that, generally speaking, no one should be experiencing crashes with or without the mod. Everyone has different machines and setups though...OSs, older machines, 32-bit, viruses, jacking with stuff, whatever, so it not always easy to pinpoint what is causing crashes if no one else is crashing. But just want to point out that "crashing" whether 003 or 005 or any other stable mod should not happen.

13. SittinDown

SittinDown Chieftain

Thanks. I had another crash last night on a large map around turn 40. I did not have problems on .003. I play-tested the beta, but not on bigger maps. .005 definitely runs slower on my machine than .003, which I know is counter to what it *should* be doing.

I'll keep digging and see if I can find out what's wrong.

14. WastinTime

WastinTime Chieftain Supporter

Are you saying you uncheck the box for "PLE Style"?
    And what effect(s) does that have?

15. Tonny

Tonny Chieftain

I've done all these steps and still have the problem with starting a 2nd game and reloading one of my own savegames. So no change :cry:

I can't open the files. The game crashes when it's initializing the map.

I've found something peculiar. Maybe it's supposed to be, but when I'm looking at the folder PublicMaps the content of "Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete"(C:\Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\PublicMaps) is different from "Beyond the Sword" (C:\Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\PublicMaps).

edit:
    When looking at PythonDbg log I see these lines:
    UnInit Python
    Initializing Python
    1. Using Python sys path: ..\WARLORDS\ASSETS\PYTHON\SYSTEM\email
    2. Using Python sys path: ..\WARLORDS\ASSETS\PYTHON\SYSTEM\encodings
    3. Using Python sys path: ..\WARLORDS\ASSETS\PYTHON\SYSTEM\wx
    etc
    while I'm playing the BtS version.

I also found that this folder empty
    C:\Users\Tonny\Documents\My Games\Warlords\PublicMaps

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 4:59 PM
  16. lymond

Yep, not sure the technical side of it, but it was recommended to me years ago. Takes a lot longer for the game to slow down with it off. I can't even remember what it does.

@Tonny Things you point out look normal to me. Could be an some asset issue but we won't know until the Asset Checker gets updated.

(Just curious, but try going to audio options and turn the Music off)

17. Tonny

Tonny Chieftain

I already play without any sound on, so that's not causing the problem here

18. elitetroops

elitetroops Chieftain

I've always had this problem in every BUFFY version. If the first game has "locked modified assets" checked, I get a crash to desktop if I load or try to start a different game. Not necessarily if I load another save from the same game, though it sometimes happens, if I've played the first save long enough. I thought this was how it works for everyone, but now I see people saying BUFFY should never crash... I must be doing something wrong.

Tonny likes this.
  19. WastinTime

WastinTime Chieftain Supporter

I also almost always get a crash if I load a game from within another game. Very old problem...many years, I didn't report it or try to fix it cus I work around it.
    I trained myself to always quit to the main menu and then load. Never crashes. Quit to desktop of course works too, but quit to main menu was always enough.

Swordnboard likes this.
  20. elitetroops

elitetroops Chieftain

Main menu doesn't work for me, I have to quit to desktop. Especially if first game has LMA checked and second doesn't (for example SGOTM live to test game) the crash is guaranteed.

I go through main menu even if I load a save in base game. It tends to be much faster. For some reason it can take very long to load a game from within another game.