BUG Mod and the in-game Log CTD

ruff_hi

Live 4ever! Or die trying
Some of you are aware that the BUG mod caused some save game corruptions that resulted in vanilla BtS players getting a crash to desktop (CTD) when opening the in-game log or trying to watch the replay.

We isolated this issue fairly quickly to the simcutie color file (CIV4ColorVals.xml) and removed it from our mod in version 500 or so. Note: current version of BUG is over 1000. BUG v2.3 was the first release without the simcutie file.

Unfortunately, various SGs still reported game corruption using BUG, even when everyone was playing v2.3 or higher. This was annoying for us, but probably more so for the SGs with corrupted files.

I've played many personal games looking for this bug. PholkHero even hosted a game looking for it. The latest SG game of mine (BUG_Hunt) was played with the specific aim of finding this bug.

Well, r_rolo1 finally posted the following ...
It was a pure 2.30 install that gave the CTD? Remember that the CTD was somehow linked to the "many colors" XML ( right? ) and that file will not be removed by a simple 2.30 install over the older version of BUG.
... and this lead us to playing a few sets with the simcutie file reinstalled for this particular SG. We played the same turns sans-simcutie file too.

The result:
Games with BUG & simcutie ---> CTD
Games with BUG but no simcutie ---> clean.

So, if you play with BUG v2.3 or higher and you have performed a clean install (ie not over a previous version of BUG), you should be clear of the in-game log CTD bug.

Our next release of BUG (v3.1) will include a warning pop-up that will activate if it finds the simcutie color file and ask the user to remove it. We'll see if we can get BUG to delete the file in question - either way, the user will have to restart civ.

The LK series will remove the BUG prohibition at some point. However, I want time for this info to get around. My tolerance for suffering another CTD = zero.

The LK series will remove the BUG prohibition at some point. However, I want time for this info to get around. My tolerance for suffering another CTD = zero.
no prob - I totally understand.

yeah lk the thing about bug is that there are a few people running around with old versions which indeed crash the log as you ran into so many times.

Really stress that when the CTD is finally cornered and beat down, that a SG safe version of bug be clearly delineated. That means SG hosts like LK can state (in no uncertain terms) that people cannot use caveman versions of bug hehe.

Gotten to the point where it's painful not to have bug installed :D what with the reminders, easy trade/diplo messages and unit filters, playing vanilla is painful.

Cheers!
-Liq

Liquidated said:
Gotten to the point where it's painful not to have bug installed what with the reminders, easy trade/diplo messages and unit filters, playing vanilla is painful.
You speak my mind...

@ruff: Nice it's going to be all over (probabely). Even with BUG, when the log was infested, I got a CTD.
And small "correction", when watching the repaly, one doesn't get a CTD, but the replay just stopps working once you get there where someone played with that manycolors file...

yup.... the part of the replay stop and the in-BUG CTD is true ( I already had seen it with my offline games :( ). More proof that the simcutie file is the guilty part.....

Now, there is any way of correcting the file to not cause the CTD? I like some of the simcutie colors ;) IIRC from the BUG forum , it was somehow connected to a type of black......

I am thinking NO, we cannot correct. The CTD was linked to the number of colors (the game was looking for color 200, when the normal file only goes up to 126 (guess). There is no way we can correct for that.

Top Bottom