Bug Reports and Technical Issues

Is there a trick to running the mod with a Steam install?

Having upgraded to a new rig a bit ago (without a physical drive), I'm now using the Steam version of Civ 4 rather than my old disk install. The tragedy there is that I can't seem to start a game in the mod now. The last time I played was before the transition to the "Play Now" and the advanced start options, but the application (smoothly) crashes as soon as the "Initializing" part of the loading screen kicks in after choosing a scenario, civ, leader, and difficulty / game speed in the Play Now prompt.

I installed the mod using the most recent installer and have put the directory both in the "My Documents" Beyond the Sword directory and in the steamapps directory. I've run Civ 4 mods many times in the past, just with non-Steam installs. I haven't tried any other mods yet. Lastly, somewhere in the Civ 4 3.19 threads I read it's not necessary to install 3.19 on a Steam version of the game, so I haven't done that.

Any suggestions?

Having upgraded to a new rig a bit ago (without a physical drive), I'm now using the Steam version of Civ 4 rather than my old disk install. The tragedy there is that I can't seem to start a game in the mod now. The last time I played was before the transition to the "Play Now" and the advanced start options, but the application (smoothly) crashes as soon as the "Initializing" part of the loading screen kicks in after choosing a scenario, civ, leader, and difficulty / game speed in the Play Now prompt.

I installed the mod using the most recent installer and have put the directory both in the "My Documents" Beyond the Sword directory and in the steamapps directory. I've run Civ 4 mods many times in the past, just with non-Steam installs. I haven't tried any other mods yet. Lastly, somewhere in the Civ 4 3.19 threads I read it's not necessary to install 3.19 on a Steam version of the game, so I haven't done that.

Any suggestions?
I am running DoC on Steam, using the Windows version on Civ IV BTS on Linux. If I can do it, then you should certainly be able to.

One thing to watch out is that you install into the BTS Mods directory, not the Civ IV vanilla Mods directory. It should be something like steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods (note that Beyond the Sword is written twice!).

IIRC, you should not install DoC into My Documents, as that is where the game unpacks the files at runtime.

Last edited:
Not sure if it’s been mentioned but amber room wonder has its effects backwards on the latest installer version

It’s grants full gold age if defense pact member has a golden age but only half for an actual golden age

EDIT: just got the UHV golden age and that one worked fine. So maybe times just great people golden age. Gonna test it soon to find out

Last edited:
Been running into crashes due to memory allocation failures recently. I'm running the newest git version. The problem isn't really reproducible, just seems to happen randomly. Not sure if it's something that's wrong with my computer or the mod.

Any suggestions?
Have to actived the old version beta yet? It's a lot more stable for anything modified DoC might even require it I forget I know other mods like C2C do.

Strange behaviour UHV 1 Japan. It's not firing withboth ticks green.
saves are autosave; great artist spawns; a couple of turns after Great Work with over 6K Culture

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-1030 Turn 224.CivBeyondSwordSave
    774.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Meiji AD-1060 Turn 227.CivBeyondSwordSave
    786.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Meiji AD-1040 Turn 225.CivBeyondSwordSave
    780.9 KB · Views: 6
Strange behaviour UHV 1 Japan. It's not firing withboth ticks green.
saves are autosave; great artist spawns; a couple of turns after Great Work with over 6K Culture
Which version?

Playing as Phoenicia\Carthage, every game Rome declares war to me right after I found Caralis. Is this supposed to happen? Saves attached.

Lpqy should be Léptis or Léptis Mégale or Neápolis under greek control
Screenshot_171.png

Oea should be the name of the city under greek control. Its phoenician name should be Oyat or Wy't. Under roman control, it should be Regio Syrtica (during republic) and Regio Tripolitana (during imperial period) instead of Tripolis, which is a more generical name for the region than the city itself and is a greek word of the region and the city.
Screenshot_180.png

Caralis should be Karaly under phoenician\carthaginian control
Screenshot_184.png

Zoroastrianism URV goals have text errors
Screenshot_181.png

Tingi shoud be Tinga or Tyng for the phoenicians\carthaginians. Tingi is the latin version of the city name.
Screenshot_182.png

Ethiopia dynamic name as vassal of egypt should be Sepat of Punt during ancient times and Emirate of Habash when Egypt is islamic.
Screenshot_170.png

Attachments

• Hiram BC-0670 Turn 96 (roman expansion bug).CivBeyondSwordSave
    278.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Hiram BC-0490 Turn 108.CivBeyondSwordSave
    297 KB · Views: 8
Upon spawn Mongolia declared war on my vassal Japan but not me, presumably because my army was too strong.

Attachments

• Qin Shi Huang AD-1190 Turn 240.CivBeyondSwordSave
    923.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Qin Shi Huang AD-1180 Turn 239.CivBeyondSwordSave
    910.5 KB · Views: 10
Playing as Phoenicia\Carthage, every game Rome declares war to me right after I found Caralis. Is this supposed to happen? Saves attached.
The tile is in the Roman expansion area - it was a coincidence that the check for an expansion war came up right after the city was founded but they will start such wars if there are target cities. Your cities in Africa did not trigger this because Rome does not yet have vision on them.

Not sure if this counts as a bug or not but in my Congo game I noticed that the Oromo Warriors that spawned outside Ethiopia just sat there menacingly. These 2 saves are almost 300 years apart and while a few more spawn in that time they don't leave that particular tile.

Attachments

• Mbemba AD-1590 Turn 299.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • Mbemba AD-1868 Turn 381.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
Playing as Byzantines I got a python exception when Arabia spawned.
This on game version 1.16.7.
Savegame the turn before attached.

Attachments

• Basil II AD-0620 Turn 554a.CivBeyondSwordSave
    738.1 KB · Views: 10
  • ArabiaSpawnException.JPG
    ArabiaSpawnException.JPG
    967.3 KB · Views: 19
This one has been present for a long time but I don't think I've seen it reported here - clicking the victory map under DoC maps doesn't show the regions (though tiles are still marked as belonging to a region if you hover over them) and gives this exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvScreensInterface", line 661, in handleInput

File "CvPlatyBuilderScreen", line 2676, in handleInput

File "CvPlatyBuilderScreen", line 2049, in showVictoryOverlay

AttributeError: 'function' object has no attribute 'items'
ERR: Python function handleInput failed, module CvScreensInterface

[1.167-34] Inca UP is inconsistently disabled during Renaissance. I tried to reproduce this a few different ways. The first time happened as a result of researching Printing after reaching Renaissance. Researching Printing *before* reaching Renaissance did not cause this, but then reaching Ren. via Firearms did, both with and without having Printing already. I tried as many combinations of tech orders, with and without WB. Some combos did not cause the UP to be lost. If you like, I can reproduce this procedure. Another less serious glitch that I had a harder time reproducing consistently is that Peak yields are removed from Yield Display in-game but are still visible in WB. In a few cases this occurred when I reached Renaissance via various techs, another time it occurred after researching Cartography during Renaissance but not before. I'm sure there are various combos not listed here but you get the general idea I hope. I do have more saves if you need.

EDIT: Switching civics (from Vassalage to Centralism and Manorialism to Invididualism) also disabled UP.

Attachments

• FirstTurnRenaissance.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • SameTurnAddedPrinting.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Playing as Polynesia, it seems the UP is not working correctly:
My culture spreads 'over' ocean, but not ON ocean tiles
Spoiler :
1671134030563.png

Attachments

• Aho'eitu Stone Age Turn 196.CivBeyondSwordSave