Bug Reports Center

Civ4 (V1.52) crashes when a wonder is created in a city. The box with the wonder title comes up and then the sound goes jabberwocky. Civ dies at that point and the crash report was sent to Microsoft. Attached is Dr. Watson as well as dxdiag.

The application, C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Application Data\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Civilization4.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 12/26/2005 @ 18:30:29.250 The exception generated wView attachment DxDiag.txt

View attachment Civ4-Error-Wonder-Box.txtas c0000005 at address 00825F2D (Civilization4)

Civ 4 (up to 1.52) might not load config and savegames when using a username containing non-latin characters.

Civ 4 treats any path as being latin 1 encoded, ignoring the system encoding, then uppercasing it to access some files. This leads to problems if the lowercased and the uppercased path contain extended characters which represent different characters in the system encoding.

For example:
the character '夜' on a japanese system looks seen as a latin1 string 'Lk', but after "uppercasing" it to 'LK' this represents a totally different character ('緬'), thus Civ 4 tries to access a different folder, thus not finding the config file or savegames.

The saving of the config and (auto-)saves is not affected by this problems, they get created properly.

Workaround: Use only latin characters in your username or avoid any characters which contain codes for lowercase latin1 characters.

Appropriate thread: here

best regards,
Inuyasha

I am still not sure if there was some game rule I was unaware of but I am pretty sure this is a bug (on the latest patch V152). I just got beaten in the Space Race by the Russians on Noble level. They did not seem anywhere near technologically advanced enough as they were still trying to buy things like genetics and refrigeration off me (which are required for making components). Yet they completed all the components and launched them.

Oh goody the AI cheats again.

ghughlett said:
Civ4 (V1.52) crashes when a wonder is created in a city. The box with the wonder title comes up and then the sound goes jabberwocky. Civ dies at that point and the crash report was sent to Microsoft. Attached is Dr. Watson as well as dxdiag.

The application, C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Application Data\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Civilization4.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 12/26/2005 @ 18:30:29.250 The exception generated wView attachment 108959

View attachment 108960as c0000005 at address 00825F2D (Civilization4)

First thing I would reccommend is updating your video card drivers. From your attached dxdiag.txt file, you are running drivers made in 2004! Those are incredibly outdated and should be upgraded.

I have an minor bug issue...

When loading a saved game my fighters are not circling above my cities when on intercept missions...The AIs planes does but not my own...It has been like this from version 1.0 to 1.09 to the 1.52.

Otherwise I have had 0 problems from the start and the game has been running perfectly always. Great game.

Raphiel said:
Well, there's this major error that I can't get past, which makes it so that I cannot start a game. Everything runs smoothly up until the whole "loading" process where it loads all the maps and stuff, it goes pretty smooth, but then freezes when it gets to the "finishing" part of the loading process, the cursor still moves and the music plays, but nothing happens, it just won't go past that part, it's inespecable too, so everytime this happens, I have to unplug my computer and replug, to restart the computer. I read the system requirements and I my computer seems to atleast reach the minimum in most places. I've seen videos of this and they look great, but man, I might just take this back and get another game, if I can't ever play it because it won't load.

How long are you waiting? My computer's just above minimum, and the "finishing" takes up to 15 seconds or so at the start of a standard map game, with sometimes up to a minute or more on late-game saves. If your computer is actually *below* minimum, I'd expect it to take much longer. You may be better off just buying more RAM or a better graphics card if those are your issues, because you'll wind up having to anyway as games continue to require better computers.

DaviddesJ said:
This is a feature, not a bug. You can't trade stuff that depends on stuff you traded, for another turn. This gives the AIs a chance to trade among themselves.

The bug is that the non-tradeable techs are not being listed. Apparently it got fixed though in 1.52.

I'm playing my first game of Civ IV, I patched it to 1.52 before I started playing, so I don't know if this is pre- or post-patch. My Indian scientists have just discovered railroads, and I have started connecting my cities with them. I wanted to move one of my fast workers to the opposite side of my empire (12 tiles) and I couldn't get there in one turn. I first tried using the go-to button, and I saw that it would take two turns, so I moved using the numberpad so I could ensure that I stayed on the railed tiles. The fast worker only got to move 10 tiles before running out of movement. Military units ARE getting the bonus, I checked with a rifleman and he could go the full ten tiles.

Otterbear said:
I don't know if anybody else has noticed this problem but its starting to drive me nuts. Try adding an item near the bottom of your list of available Units/buildings to your cue...When you click on the unit/building the screen jumps up to the top of your available unit list and consequently you end up adding a settler or worker to the build Que instead of the Temple you clicked on. Any body else have this problem...I also have the troops that run away off the screen or across the water and then disappear only to show back up where they were supposed to be...

PS: I tried to read this whole thread but I cant keep my eyes open.

SPS: I have the latest patch.

Are you not holding shift? That's what adds things to the end of the queue...sorry if I misread your post, but I think that's the answer.

Kazper said:
Once you discover Industrialism any Ivory you were gaining are obsoleted. However in a recent game the Romans repeatedly tried to trade me Ivory for another resource after it was obsoleted for me. This is very bad as I took a negative dip-hit for turning down his offers - several times.
Seems to still be in the game post 1.52. I discovered Industrialism. Mongols hadn't yet. They showed Ivory as available to trade. I asked for it as a trade and they offered to give it to me for nothing in exchange. The trade was successfully completed and I appeared to get the happiness bonus for it. Go figure. Minor exploit I guess.

I've looked ~almost~ everywhere and haven't found a solution for this bug. I've tried both versions 1.09 and 1.52 and it still isn't working, which makes things really, really difficult. Here's some bits and pieces of the screenshots.

If anyone can explain what the heck is going wrong, that would be greatly appreciated. I, unfortunately, can't tell you what graphic card I use...X_x

Dragons_Silence said:
I've looked ~almost~ everywhere and haven't found a solution for this bug. I've tried both versions 1.09 and 1.52 and it still isn't working, which makes things really, really difficult. Here's some bits and pieces of the screenshots.

If anyone can explain what the heck is going wrong, that would be greatly appreciated. I, unfortunately, can't tell you what graphic card I use...X_x
Well, if you can't tell us what graphic card u use, that's probably most likely your issue. Is it onboard? Do you know that? Check your computer manual. Can't really help if you don't know what you've got.

1.52 Bug: Diplomacy win impossible in hotseat (also happened in 1.09 and 1.00)

to reproduce: start MP game in hotseat mode

2. make sure "win by diplomacy" is checked as a victory option.

3. build UN

4. get enough votes to win

5. nothing happens, game continues.

6. put forward any resolution, get enough votes for it to succeed, the message will come up that the resolution has failed.

(see separate thread "broken diplomacy" in this forum)

7. try for sec-general again, get the votes, nothing happens.

8. give up on winning by diplomacy

Cusimanse said:
I'm playing my first game of Civ IV, I patched it to 1.52 before I started playing, so I don't know if this is pre- or post-patch. My Indian scientists have just discovered railroads, and I have started connecting my cities with them. I wanted to move one of my fast workers to the opposite side of my empire (12 tiles) and I couldn't get there in one turn. I first tried using the go-to button, and I saw that it would take two turns, so I moved using the numberpad so I could ensure that I stayed on the railed tiles. The fast worker only got to move 10 tiles before running out of movement. Military units ARE getting the bonus, I checked with a rifleman and he could go the full ten tiles.

That's the way it's supposed to work. Railroads are ten moves per turn for all units -- even the ones that could do nine per turn on roads. :(

There is a minor bug in the civilopedia. When you see the information about the bombers (and stealth bombers), it says: -50% damage against water units. This link should lead you to the unit class section of the civilopedia but it doesn't work. Probably because they are classified as naval units and not as water units.

Ignore this post altogether... I feel like tweety, I taught I taw a maceman, I didn't I didn't...:confused:

MarcAntiny said:
This is a small glitch I would say considering I did actually get the 50% vs melee bonus when I attacked. Just a glitch on what it shows or reports. Not sure if this affects unit selection when multi units are in a group. In other words, select several units and tell them to attack enemy, the computer picks the best choice based on the odds. Well, clearly the odds as reported here are off but as I said, I did get the bonus and I did get the kill rather easily.

Your unit is the maceman, right, with a longbow on defense? I'm not sure what you're talking about with the 50% vs melee bonus -- that's the longbow's bonus, not yours. Assuming the longbow in question actually has combat I plus two anti-melee promotions (is that possible for bows? I don't even know), and that your maceman is combat II, the numbers look perfectly correct to me. (8+1.6=9.6; 6+0.6+3=9.6)

If it's just the apparent strangeness in the odds that's bothering you (9.6 vs 9.6, yet only a 43% chance of winning), it's because of the defender's first strike.

Top Bottom