1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Building a city directly on top of a luxury resource?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Artifex1, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Artifex1

Artifex1 Warlord

Do you still get the benefit or is this a really bad idea?

2. Martin Alvito

Martin Alvito Real men play SMAC

You don't get the benefit from improving the tile, but you get instantaneous improvement of the luxury. Depending on the underlying tile and the point you're at in the game, it can often make sense to directly settle a luxury rather than wait five or six Worker turns to improve it.

As a rule, settling Mining tiles after the capital is a bad idea, and settling Calendar or Trapping luxuries is usually a good idea as long as the tile is positioned well. Settling Marble is often a no-brainer, since you get the Wonder bonus even if you haven't researched Masonry yet.

3. Ranos

Ranos King

You still have to have researched the tech required to gain access to the resource. If you are in desperate need of happiness, build the city on the resource.

4. Dermo

Dermo Warlord

If I were to settle on an Incense or Wine is the tile considered 'worked' for the purposes of building a monastery? Or Gold/Silver fro mint?

5. Blue Oyster

Blue Oyster Stealth is an Illusion

Thanks! I didn't know that.

6. fmlizard2

fmlizard2 Prince

Can you still build the Stone Works if you settle marble?

7. jtb1127

jtb1127 Deity

You still get the resource but you should build it next to the city so that you can get the benefit of improving the tile.

8. Ranos

Ranos King

I would think so but I can't say for certain. I've only built a city on a resource once and it was Spices.

9. headcase

headcase Limit 1 Facepalm Per Turn

I've been told Great Tile Improvements on Gold don't count for the Mint, not sure about cities.