Buy from App Store or Steam

tigerspill

Chieftain
Hi,

Just wondering about the differences in buying Civ 6 from the App store or Steam?
Are there any advantages or disadvantages of each?

Thanks

I can't say for civvi yet, but for civ 5 it was way harder (or not possible for me at least) to get mods working with the app store version. It was easier with steam.
It may also be a difference when it comes to multiplayer. AFAIK right now cross platform multiplayer does not work. I guess it will work someday at least with the steam version, not so sure about the app store versions.
So I don't see any possible advantage for the app store version.
Steam might (!) have some advantages, but we don't know yet. In any case, usually it is easier to get a discount on steam (or related sellers) than on the app store. So I would recommend buying it not at the app store.

Steam. Never buy anything from the Mac App Store if you can avoid it; the applications there have very severe restrictions that limit what the app can do. For Civ 5, that included not being able to use mods and difficulties with multiplayer. Also the Mac App Store release process takes longer; the App Store version of Civ 5 was weeks behind the Steam release.

The App Store is also very hard to get refunds from, so yeah, definitely go with Steam.

I agree in general that the Steam option for Civ5 works better. However, for some people (not me!), Steam is considered over-intrusive, and those players seem to be prepared to live with other limitations to avoid Steam.

The main issues I'm aware of for tha App Store edition are limited/no cross platform multi-player capability and delays in release of patches .

Note that mods can be made to work now with the App Store Civ5, though it's not integrated with the Steam Workshop of course. That was not the case until late patches were released. I don't have the App Store version of Civ6, so I don't know whether it can handle mods yet. If not, it may evolve to do so in a similar way to Civ5.

Steam. Additionally, it opens up the possibility for you to play on bootcamp/windows if you need to for better performance. with your steam purchase, you get a license for mac AND windows.

Just my two bits for a contrary opinion…
However, for some people (not me!), Steam is considered over-intrusive, and those players seem to be prepared to live with other limitations to avoid Steam.
Civ V was my introduction to Steam. V is the only app that ever crashes on me, and it crashes quite regularly, but I think it crashes half the time is because of Steam updates and the DRM. I have not found any other offers from Steam to be compelling, so Steams adds zero value to me, while crashing and ensuring I will never actually own V -- even though I have the box and DVD. At this point I am planning to hold out for the VI app store version.

And I despise the app store, but it cannot be avoided because you need it for OS X updates. But I like Steam even less than I like the app store!
The main issues I'm aware of for tha App Store edition are limited/no cross platform multi-player capability and delays in release of patches.
Multi-player V appeals to me, but I have never tried it. The logistics strike me as infeasible. The delays in release of patches is an issue. Also the cost. I don’t believe the V price came down on the app store until relatively recently. V has been available on Steam sales for years.

It depends.

For those who prefer modding, those who are fans of many computer games (as well as frequent sales), cross-platform multiplayer, quicker and more frequent patches and updates, easier refunds, and achievements, Steam is to go.

For those who prefer to be able to install Civ VI on multiple Macs (and be able to play them simultaneously) and have stability (as in having fewer crashes from third party software), as well as those who detest Steam for various reasons, the App Store version is to go. Note that for Mac users, the use of the App Store is inevitable anways, as it is used for MacOS updates (which means less installation hassles).

Me, I prefer the App Store. I agree with Beetle; I am interested in extremely few computer games and the Steam sales rarely interest me. I would rather trade flexibility for stability.

One more thing Beetle, the App Store version is available.

Last edited:
At this point I am planning to hold out for the VI app store version.
One more thing Beetle, the App Store version is available.
My earlier comment was phrased poorly. At this point, I am holding out buying VI altogether. Buy when I do buy it, and I am sure I will eventually buy it, I am currently planning to buy the App Store version.

Before I buy, I want to see the pattern for the Mac updates. Will they take much, much too long? Is the App Store version six months+ behind the Steam release? Is the App Store pricing a year behind the Steam sales offerings? I will not pay full MSPR for a buggy, late, and ill supported Mac version. If I can save $30 and get the game a year earlier, then I will put up with Steam. I would pay full price for a DRM-free boxed version too, but that ship has sailed...

Top Bottom