Byzantine Strategy anyone?

jagdtigerciv

Prince
My new favourite addition into BTS was the Byzantines. Mostly everybody admits that the Imperialistic trait is one of the worst traits, and combined with Spiritual (a trait I actually love, and cannot play without), is, however, not the "financial" powerhouse, or any other powerhouse traits. I'm hoping to see any good strategys for this combination? Also, while taking note of their UU and UB.

I just finished only my 3rd complete win in BtS with Justinian (Domination Victory in 1860AD; settings = Prince, Epic, Large, Big and Small, Low Sea Level, 11 AI Civs). It was a blast!

Basically, I started slowly, grabbed enough space for 6 cities (including the essentials for my UU [and UB], Horses and Iron), and was teching with all haste towards Guilds when a neighbor attacked, and then while fighting him off, another attacked, and so on.

Usually, I hate being at war for a long period of time (I'm usually 70% builder, 30% war-monger), but in Justinian's case, I didn't mind because:

1. For defensive wars, Hippodromes + Horses + 10% Culture slider = no WW. For offensive wars, you'll still get WW, but much less than usual.

2. With that Imperialistic trait, I really started racking up the Great Generals. Usually, I make a few Warlord units, but in this case, I resisted the temptation and settled all of mine in my military factory. By the end of the game, I had 10 GG's settled there. With West Point, Barracks, Vassalage, and Theocracy, I was cranking out new units that had 31 XP!!! A thing of beauty, it was.

3. Once I finally got Guilds, the Cataphracts showed their awesomeness. Going against fortified Longbows was still not a picnic, but if all I had were Knights, I would have been stuck lugging Maces and Trebs like the rest of you plebs :p . The funny thing about them was that, since in my game I got them quite a bit later than I was originally planning, I was initially disappointed with their performance. But as time went on, and the survivors piled up the XP, I ended up with a huge cadre of highly promoted Cataphracts, that nicely upgraded into killer Cavalry as the game wound down. And there was no need to upgrade to Cuirassiers in the middle, because, in essence, Cataphracts already are Cuirassiers.

So, that's my take on the Byzantines. Mind you, I'm far from an expert and played "sub-optimally" for most of the game, but Justinian's still a hell of a lot of fun if you get some momentum. To my mind, he's one of the best momentum leaders out there.

Three words of advice: Horses, Iron, Guilds.
That's all you have to know. Oh, one more - WAR!:aargh: :hammer:

No basically my strategy with the byzanines is to dominate with the cataphracts

I'll second bovinespy's advice. I was a bit skeptical of Justinian at first, but now that he sits atop my high score list I'm a believer :bowdown:. Use the Imperialistic trait to ensure that you get enough settlers out to secure both iron and horses. Then pick up drama for the hippodrome and head straight for guilds. Cataphracts are just amazing :eek: , and with the hippodrome war weariness is simply not a problem :cool: .

1) get horses
2) get iron
3) build hippodromes
4) build cataphracts
???
5) win

I'm very much a sub-optimal player, too, but Cataphractoi Abuse seems like a decent enough strategy =P

Another strategy, shady as it may sound, is to play Unrestricted Leaders and use your favorite Spiritual leader...

It seems to me that the Byzantines seemed to be a pretty good choice, other than "coping with Imperialism" which you have to do with every leader with that trait.

Justinian/Byzantines is also one of my favorite civs to play. I have always liked Imperialistic for both it's fast settlers and it's faster GGs.

With Justinian, I only pursue an early religion if the start has some decent commerce tiles. I'll either conquer one, or one will spread to me later.

Otherwise, I concentrate on getting :hammers:s to get the most out of the IMP trait. Usually this means Mining/Bronze Working and whatever food techs let me improve my capital's BFC. If I don't have it already, I then get Animal Husbandry to see Horses, the Iron Working for Iron.

I try to get one early war in to get my first GG to settle in my military production city. This is one reason I like letting religion spread to me - It helps make friends :)

If I get the chance to build the Great Wall I will (Great Spy Points and double GG points inside cultural borders). While this wonder is great in general, I feel it is especially useful for leaders with the IMP trait (I like it with the Creative trait, too, for it's ability to banish the barbs).

I'm confused... I don't remember ever experiencing WW on defense...

Try losing a city or two. :(

I came back to win that war and re-claim my core, but it was pretty dicey going at the time.

I thought this was a thread about Firaxis and Take2's patch policy.

IMO that comment was rather apt:goodjob: , considering the way this whole 3.13 information issue played out in this forum. From the community's :confused: perspective Firaxis' strategy can indeed be termed "Byzantine".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derogatory_use_of_%22Byzantine%22

Compulsory on-topic comment: Even though I would love to play as the Byzantines, the Imperialistic trait is so far from my playing style that I've never tried it. Unrestricted leaders is not an option for me, since that defeats the whole point of having historical figures as leaders.

Top Bottom