Byzantium OCC Insanity - the new meaning of XCOM

I think in mine, Egypt must have lost a settler to barbs or something. They were very small, and getting smaller due to Russia's voracity.

I haven't finished the game yet, because it keeps crashing. I'm not sure why. It's not a problem I usually have with the game, so I can only guess my (not terribly high-spec) laptop doesn't like the custom map for some reason. I got as far as Paratroopers before it was crashing too often for me to have patience with it. :(

t.256 victory, but that's because I am a terrible noob and haven't played civ in 2 months. Mistakes I made was not rushing to scholasticism which actually gives a huge science boost when you have all the city-states as allies and not rushing to stealth bombers and Xcoms. Basically, I had a culture victory by turn 238, and then continued playing and just clicked next turn waiting for stealth bombers and xcoms to come online. If I had the military beforehand, I could have just destroyed those holy cities asap and got rid of huge chunks of opponents' culture.

In terms of social policies, I actually opened Tradition and took Aristocracy and then rushed Piety down to Reformation, then finished Tradition, then finished Piety. Rushed Grand Temple asap, as well. Basically, you get enough food to grow fast, but once the AI's start spreading religion, they are going to prophet and missionary spam, so Unity of the Prophets really makes your religion stick.

I have had some other hiccups like not having open borders early enough (not like it mattered that much) and proposing world fair a bit too late to only have the Shoshone take the first place and runaway a bit. I might re-try tomorrow with careful micromanagement and see what kind of record I can achieve. This was actually really fun, but... not challenging at all.

PS: Oh, I think I actually failed since the cultural victory had to be achieved after all religions had been eliminated. lol Well, Xcom rush it is then. It actually makes it easier? because you can just kill a city in 2 turns of any culture runaway?

Wow, failed once again. This time around I perfectly calculated my Xcom launch before the cultural victory only yo have Russia wipe out the biggest culture runaway Egypt and granting me an insta-win.

I will re-try this again. I wonder what the optimal strategy could be. I still like Reformation rush to get that Unity of the prophets just right about when the AI's start spamming prophets, and to me that's more worth than Landed Elite rush and an early Aqueduct. In fact, I think I might not bother finishing Tradition with Oligarchy at all and just rush-buying an aqueduct and spending all the faith that I have on scientists.

Also, for anyone whose game crashed. You can try re-loading 5-6 times the turn autosave or the turn before. It actually helped me.

I wonder if you could do the reverse bribe - bribe Russia to go to war against you instead of Egypt?

You mean just DOW Russia? o_0 Nobody bribed her to war with Egypt, btw, Cathy just did her thang.

I don't know if a simple DoW would do it. Just trying to think of a way to get them not to war against Egypt.

Jesus, finally finished it properly on t.263. This time around I got too overzealous with science and had Xcoms+Stealth bombers by turn 226, but my tourism lagged behind, and of course my arch-nemesis Russia ran away with culture, so I just sat there waiting for my tourism to build up. I guess, somewhere in the middle lies a t.240-ish victory, but I think I have had enough of this map and of civ for a while. :p

Nice challenges! Keep them coming :thumbsup:

edit: just finished culture victory at 204, even though I had 140 pressure on egypitian and shoshone's holy cities they wouldn't convert so they fell 40 or so turns later with stealth bombers and X-coms.
1.population from ruins was priority techs after. For 50 turns I tried to find new natural wonder few of the city states requested, having realized there were none they went as precious gits to city states.
2.Tradition opener,aristocracy - full piety - patronage for 25% science bonus - tradition finisher
3.Unity of the prophets
5.CV was done shortly before airports i think, egypt had only 3 cities and lacking culutre wise, only Chief Pocatello managed to get some bigger culture shield.
6.ToA, GL, MoH, Petra, Oracle, all 3 from theology, pretty much every one starting from Leaning Tower besides Angkor Wat and Red Fort I think

I tried again today. Got maybe ten or twelve turns before crashing. Le sad. :(

Top Bottom