C-evo: Open-source freeware game updated

vktj

Warlord
C-evo is my favorite open-source video game. Steffen Gerlach, the developer, has made a new release this month after a five-year hiatus:

http://c-evo.org/files/files.php

The new release features new graphics (nation borders are finally clearly visible) and a “wizard” that makes downloading 3rd-party add-ons (maps, other AIs) easy.

It is a Civilization II-style game with a focus on AI development. Unlike other games, the AI never cheats: It has to work with the same limitations a human does (fog of war, limited knowledge of the map, etc.). C-evo comes with its own built-in AI, and a number of other AIs are available for download; the strongest AI is probably the “Seti” AI (which does very well despite being unable to fight a naval war).

I myself play C-evo 1.1.1 (2008) with my own set of “house rules” (including, yes, more visible borders)

http://samiam.org/C-evo/

There is even (somewhat of) a map script for C-evo there.

C-evo 1.1.1 is probably the best Civilization clone to fit on one 1.44 meg floppy (two if you want sounds and an extra AI). C-evo 1.2 is a lot bigger: The basic game needs 3 floppies.

In terms of being open-source, the good news is the game’s source code is public domain. The bad news is that the game is written in Delphi 4, which is a proprietary development environment from the 1990s that is expensive (site licenses can easily tun thousands of dollars) to obtain.

C-Evo has always been a one-trick pony: One set of rules, one game pace, one map script (with all of two “sliders”: Six fixed map sizes and a variable land mass/water level), one interface, one single game adjustment (difficulty level), one victory condition, one multiplayer mode (hotseat), and one tech tree. But C-Evo does all of that very well, better, in my opinion, than any other open-source game.

- Sam

Nice. I thought this was a dead project.

Of course I'm still terrible at it :blush:

Newer versions of C-evo (1.1.1 and the brand new 1.2) have a “beginner” level which is a lot easier to win at. I won’t say it’s settler-level easy...probably more like warlord-easy.

The two big gotchas for people who have played other games in the Civ franchise are:

1) Cities need a town hall built after being created or captured before they help the empire. The town hall is almost always the first building one builds in a city.

2) Like Alpha Centauri, new units have to be researched using “military research”.

Top Bottom