• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

C2C Graphics

The new water terrains are not working well with Questdog's alternate terrains. They are bleeding into each other in areas. Besides which the high contrast is making me ill.

I will reduce the luminocity of the coast in next update; but you might consider adding an artdefines_terrain.xml to the folder you have Questdog's alternate terrains in, that would be adjusted to make coast use its texture files.

What i did with my Current game was go to the Editor and added a border of Continental Shelf around the Coasts (I Assume I'm not causing Problems doing such)
trenches close to coast would create some graphical oddities worthy of notice but generally no problem in doing what you did; nothing that can break the game ;).

I must say the Coasts could get a Tad more towards Cyan/Greenish/Blueish, the Artic Coast is good, but the Rest idk, Might just be my Personal taste
Technically the color of all the coast are currently stemming from the water plane and not from the two terrain specific textures. changing the color of the water without changing the color of the beach equally is very difficult due to the way one terrain textures covers 4 tiles with its center in the corner of a tile and another has 30 different 32x32 areas that gets picked according to how many of the same terrain are around a corner and this one only covers 1/4 of four tiles and decides the transparency of both textures. I am currently experimenting with adding greenish color to the tropical coast but it won't go all the way out to the sea behind; this would lead to a third water color between the tropical coast green and the sea's coloration.

I Did notice Some of the Terrains Bleed into each other making things weird to look at, But that's something you should just test for yourself
Yeah, I'm working on it.

I will reduce the luminocity of the coast in next update; but you might consider adding an artdefines_terrain.xml to the folder you have Questdog's alternate terrains in, that would be adjusted to make coast use its texture files.

There is no XML in Qusetdog's alternate terrains. It is one of the things that make it so useful as I have to remember not to update to the SVN only the art folders.

OK i just looked at ALL of the Alternative (Questdog) terrain and the current changes Toffer has made and ONLY 3 of them have changed? Or am i getting the wrong info here??
Yeah that is correct, although I use the same CoastBlend file for tropical/polar/regular coast, but different CoastDetail; while C2C and probably Questdog do the exact opposite.

Seems like I've started from scratch redoing all the water terrains with a completely different design plan which will help me overcome limitations with my old setup.

In other words any updates to water graphics will take some time as I have to redo all coastal height maps, all terrain blends, and the texture that controls how the water-plane turn transparent close to land.
The thing is that all of these have to match up so I can't commit anything before they do.

So the question is now: shall the old coast/ocean graphic be reintroduced for V36?

I think it should. It should stop us adding bugs to the release, we can wait for after the release to add the bugs.:mischief: As is often said in IT
If debugging is getting rid of bugs, then programming (in our case adding content) must be adding bugs.

I'm starting to get somewhere on the tropical coast coloration.
2015-10-06_00001.jpg

I've custom made the height map and water blends for 5 of the 30 different coast variations and for every one I do; I can push the green tint closer to the shore which is mirrored toward the sea as seen in the picture. I wont be capable of removing the transition color between trop coast and other terrain water colors but it can get pretty thin in the end.

Is it too green, should I shift it more towards cyan?

Ok guys, after some work, I created and uploaded new tech splash screen. Check and tell me what do you think.

Ok guys, after some work, I created and uploaded new tech splash screen. Check and tell me what do you think.

can you make the splash screen more blue than green, just askin?? (2nd pic)

also Toffer: I would rather not have the ocean and darker than this?? what do you'll think??

can you make the splash screen more blue than green, just askin?? (2nd pic)

<snip>

Oh, I rather liked the green tint, easier on my eyes. Oh well.

JosEPh

I can respect that you prefer simplistic easy on the eye terrain graphics. However I think most people wants some details in their terrains; so you'll probably always need an alternate terrain pack for C2C. ;)

No offense to DH, but yes i very much way more detailed terrain.

Top Bottom