1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Version 2.4 feedback

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by zappara, Oct 21, 2008.

1. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Try the 2.5 -> 2.51 Without the Megapack.

2.5Mega has a .dll for 50 civs and some systems are having trouble with that many civs.

The /3GB switch has also helped others.

Radeon 300? 128mb ram? Pixel shader 2?

JosEPh

2. TheDisco

TheDisco Warlord

I was running the civpack expansion prior when it was version 2.21 and it worked fine.

I know, the card is pretty old now, but 2-D games don't really require too much horsepower. Modern cards are really geared to 3-D rendering and effects. I used to play Half-Life 2 at up to 800x600 with it but now do my FPS on the xbox360. Otherwise I would have upgraded the PC years ago. Civ IV runs smooth at 1920x1200 believe it or not. I played it at that resolution for years.

I actually think something else is going on for me. Even when I lower the resolution down, do smaller maps, fewer civs, etc the game is still crashing before I can get a new game fully initialized. Something with the RoM mod is crashing me...

3. TheDisco

TheDisco Warlord

I just installed version 2.50 (rather than 2.51 megapack) and seems to work fine now. Cool!

Now I will try to update to 2.51 and test again. Then I will try to applly the civpack expansion and see what happens. If all works well then maybe there is an issue with the 2.51 megapack install???

--------------

Yup, seems to be an issue. When I installed RoM 2.50 then patched it to 2.51, everything works. But then I notice the CivPack2.2 expects you to have RoM 2.40, then it expects you to upgrade to RoM 2.5 before installing CivPack2.3 patch.

Anybody know where I can get my hands on RoM 2.4. I can't seem to find it??? I want to see if it works for me if:

I install RoM 2.4
    Install CivPack 2.2
    Patch RoM 2.4 to 2.5
    Patch CivPack 2.2 to 2.3
    Patch RoM 2.5 to 2.51

I have all of the above except RoM 2.4

--------------------

Never mind, I found RoM 2.4. I followed the above install sequence and I still crash upon launching a new game. I guess the CivPack doesn't work for me anymore. That sucks. Also, seems weird to me. Why would adding extra civs for the program to choose from cause such a critical error???

Oh well, I'll try again in a few weeks/months after some further patching and maybe it will work for me...

4. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

CivPack 2.2/2.3 uses a different .dll than what RoM2.5 uses, and is not compatible with 2.5.

2.5MegaPack contains the updated extracivs addon.

Install 2.5Full
    Patch to 2.51, Test for playability. If no problems(and there should Not be) then add the 2.5 Megapack.

JosEPh

5. Iceman68

Iceman68 Chieftain

When trying to load the 2.51 version of the game (without megapack) I get the XML Error Message:

Tag: UNIT_ARTSTYLE_BARBARIAN in Info class wass incorrect
    Current XML file is xml\Civilizations/CIV4CivilizationInfo.xml

Grateful for any help.

6. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Are you Patched to Official 3.17 for BtS?

There's a thread here that deals with that particular problem. Zappara has answered it but I don't remember the threads name, getting old. :p

JosEPh :)

Edit:

This is from the 1st page of this thread. Helps zappara figure out whats going on.

7. TheDisco

TheDisco Warlord

I installed it that way and still no luck. 2.51 works flawlessly for me without the civpack add-on. Once I apply the civpack, I can't even get a game to start: it always crashes during initialization of a new game. Even if I do a small map with few civs.

Anybody know of anything added to the civpack in recent months that would cause such problems? I've used the civpack expansions before in earlier versions of RoM (2.21 for example). I've even used them with Huge/Giant maps with 30+ civs.

Very frustrating. I'm in the mood to play another game!

8. rabber

rabber Chieftain

I realize that this is frustrating, but my advice s to forget about the megapack. My system resources are significantly better than yours - 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1600 with 256MB - and it still can't handle megapack.

9. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Sorry to say I don't play it either. Just 2.5 Full patched to 2.51. Still plenty of Civs for me to handle.

JosEPh

10. TheDisco

TheDisco Warlord

But I'm just curious why adding new civs to your hard drive makes such a big deal. Why would it constrain the system resources any more? It's not like they are all being used. I can run a game with 24 civs without the modpack, why wouldn't I be able to run a game with 24 civs with the modpack? I mean it's the exact same game setup but with some new civ names/traits for it to choose from isn't it?

It is also curious to me because it used to work just fine a couple versions ago (RoM 2.21). I just wanted to know if there was some obvious and simple change recently that I could just disable. Like some new fangled graphic effect for a leader or something that I could just delete or replace...

But no worries, there are enough civs without the megapack but it really adds some extra flavor to have Poland pop up now and then for instance :D

-----------------------

And actually, believe it or not, this game used to work pretty good even when I had only 1 GB RAM! I did upgrade to 2 GB RAM mainly because of this game though because it did prevent some hard drive caching that used to happen late game. This game really isn't as superintensive as many think on resources. I was running Huge maps, 24 civs, marathon speed at 1920x1200 32-bit color resolution (with all graphic settings to high/detailed although I didn't use any aliasing) with only Windows XP, 1 GB RAM, P4-3GHz, and ATI Radeox300-128MB. And the game responsivness was fine. The only waiting was between turns and it was definately acceptable (just like 10-20 seconds or so I think: never timed it).

Now getting a modern FPS to work on my PC, forget about it... But that's why they make the XBOX360. Playing COD: World at War multiplayer right now. Man, what a fantastic game.

Going to try to mix some Civ4 back into the mix now though for a break...

11. steko

steko Chieftain

Me it does so anyway,no other mod we it does not make, what shall I do?Much would wanted play this mod. Please help me.

12. Gareth2

Gareth2 Chieftain

When i try to start the game with ostenako leader and cherokee nation, the map shows up fine but none of the user interface buttons, so i have to restart with another civ/leader.

This is the only civ/leader that i have had a problem with, and i have played a few different ones.

Truly great mod BTW!