1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

C3C - SID - Rise of Carthage - as guided by Spoonwood

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by AnthonyIII, Dec 16, 2011.

1. AnthonyIII

AnthonyIII Warlord

Hmm... OK. See, this is something I've been wondering about. I thought like this: If I give 002 more food it will grow quicker, and a new citizen means more shields worked. So I thought the long term effect of the growth would pay off more than investing etra shield now. Am I thinking wrong? Yes, the Oracle is good but it was out of our hands here. Good info on the workers, I did not know that. I admit it was too risky... I'm sorry and it won't happen again! :) Your last sentence, is that a rule of thumb, or only in this situation? And how do you think we stand up to now, Spoonwood?

2. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

A new citizen only means more shields worked if it has more citizens on squares that have shields in the first place.

The last sentence holds as a rule of thumb, and in this situation. I don't know how we "stand up" at this point.

Also: We don't need a contact strictly speaking until we've finished the Great Library/Forbidden Palace. If we don't have access to a temple after the Pyramids it's not the end of things. 002 can pre-build for the Museum of Mausollos/put out a settler or two towards the Forbidden Palace.

3. creamcheese

creamcheese Spreading since 1990

We need to meet some civs before we really know where we stand. We do seem to have good progress on the Pyramids though, we may have an excellent chance of getting it.

4. AnthonyIII

AnthonyIII Warlord

Alright, noted Spoonwood! :) Agree, creamcheese, would've be great if we got the Pyramids... Fingers crossed! Elephantium, you're up next.

5. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

Got it.

Pre-turn:

Seeing Spoon's comments on going suicidal, I bring the Curragh back to the coast.

001 will complete Curragh #2 on my Turn 1; after that I'm thinking it will work a BG and build another Worker.

002 grows in 5 turns, Pyramids in 18. I'm thinking of moving the unmined grassland worker to a hill in 2 turns -- that's when the mine will complete.

003 finishes a Warrior in 2; he can go on MP duty in 002.

For both 001 and 003, I'm not sure what to build: We need Warriors, Workers, and Settlers. I'm leaning slightly towards Workers first, to fully improve 002's land. A few Warriors for scouting and MP would be helpful, but that's not quite as important until the end of my turnset. Likewise with Settlers ... we need more cities, but we need to boost 002 first.

I'll hold off on playing more, pending some discussion.

6. AnthonyIII

AnthonyIII Warlord

Good thing you rescued our curragh! Hmm... I'm thinking along the same lines as you. Workers, settlers and warriors when wasting shields if building the previous two. Let's here from creamcheese and Spoonwood as well.

7. Spoonwood

We don't need anymore warriors really. 002 has 2 now (correct?) and that city basically will dictate how much we use the luxury slider. I've have both of the workers on the hill road, so as to not lose worker turns. I'd then have them both mine the roaded regular, unmined grassland square... it doesn't waste turns to stack them when we have a road down already. I'd prioritize settlers over workers, though we do need them both.

8. Elephantium

002 is empty. We have one Warrior exploring and a second about to build.

9. AnthonyIII

AnthonyIII Warlord

I'm OK with beginning to settle our island. Maybe go settler, another worker and then settler-settler builds.

10. creamcheese

I'm okay with no more warriors once we have 2 in 002. Most of our other cities will be building settlers and workers, and maybe a curragh or something, so they should stay quite small. We will already be lux spending for 002 even with warriors.

Mostly we need to complete improvements around 002, and settle the rest of our island. Trading once we meet AIs as well.

11. Spoonwood

We need to have 2 warriors in 002 at the end of your turnset for a max run on Philosophy.

Also, NO trading until we discuss things first. We don't want to pick up the AIs in terms of tech really, we generally want to make trades only when an AI has started researching a tech... you can check this by opening F4 every turn, and so long as you don't contact any more tribes, see what they'll give you for Alphabet or Writing... once the trade advisor changes his message from "they will take this deal" to "we're close to getting a deal" for the same techs/gold/luxuries/etc., they've started researching that tech. That said, on this map we might not want to make any trades until after we've completed the Great Library.

12. Elephantium

We'll have two Warriors in two turns, when 003 completes its Warrior. I'm thinking I'll keep the first Warrior on scouting duty and build another Warrior in 001 or 003 during my turnset.

Anything else to keep in mind? I'm planning to play my set tonight.

13. Spoonwood

I think that's about it.

14. AnthonyIII

AnthonyIII Warlord

Good luck, Elephantium!

15. Elephantium

IBT:

001: Curragh > Warrior. I think about making a Settler, but that would hit 30 shields around 3 turns before the city hits size 3

Turn 1 (2110 BC): Zzz...
    003: Warrior > Worker
    Turn 2 (2070 BC): Lux slider to 40% due to MP.
    Turn 3 (2030 BC): Zzz...
    Turn 4 (1990 BC): Lux slider back to 50% to avoid a riot in 003.
    001: Warrior > Settler, and 002 grows.
    Turn 5 (1950 BC): Aztecs complete the Pyramids :(

Do we continue?

16. creamcheese

:sad: This sucks.

We still might win, but this put a serious crimp in our plan. I vote continue a bit and see how it goes. If we get an SGL or something, or have a particularly good round of trading we might keep going.

17. AnthonyIII

AnthonyIII Warlord

Oooh.... That's not too nice. And we don't have anything to build instead of the Pyramids either, as pr now... Have you met someone yet? Or moved the curraghs? I've never tried 20K on Sid, so someone else has to answer if we can win it. Or, I think we could still win just very late. Hmm. The Aztecs must have gotten a really good starting position.

18. Spoonwood

I think we can win, but I'd rather start another map.

19. AnthonyIII

AnthonyIII Warlord

I'm with Spoonwood. You got some more saves lying around? :) If I'm gonna run MapFinder, it won't be until wednesday or thursday.

20. Spoonwood

Try this one:

Attached Files: