C3C v1.22 Patch Update (requires v1.20)

I also want to say "hang in Commander Bello". I think that some of your posts have become emotional, and that some sound hostile. Perhaps you could tone that down a bit. But even if not, that's ok with me. It is clear that your disatisfaction is from a love of the game and frustration with Firaxis.

I think that frustration with Firaxis at this point is well founded. C3C was released with serious flaws. The first official patch took a very long time to arrive. It had flaws. The process of getting to this first patch showed disorganization and a disturbing willingness to tinker with game mechanics instead of addressing problems. The MP community has IMO been shafted, they pretty much had to buy C3C and its patches to get some of what they had a right to expect in PTW. Expectations of new features were raised after C3C's release which are unlikely to ever be seen. The current version of the game has problems remaining which were addressed in PTW and have reappeared. New features in C3C have large game balance issues which must be addressed before some players will find the game as much fun as PTW. There are numerous new small bugs which are rarely mentioned by any of us anymore because other pending issues are even more important. And indications from Firaxis are that the amount of effort allocated to address remaining bugs and balance issues will be far less than what is needed, i.e. that we may never see most of this stuff fixed.

Given all that, it is not surprising to see frustration and the emotional reactions which go with it.

Should we try to suppress the emotional reactions? Many people seem to think they do no good, that being nice to Firaxis and being reasonable will get better results. I know that is how things should be. But it seems to me that being nice and being reasonable has accomplished almost nothing so far. Perhaps if Firaxis sees that there is significant amount of dissatisfaction with their work even among fanatics, they'll realize that they are jeopordizing future business and perhaps they'll take action.

I find that I am in agreement with a number of the posts above and will wait until the next patch that will incorporate all of the changes. Then I will probably wait some more to see what posts say about it before DL.
New bugs in a beta patch is acceptable. That is why it is called beta. The same is not true for an offical patch. That only hurts the rep of the company and makes me, at least, cautious in buying any further products from said company until I read a thorough review to know if it is buggy or not. If it is, I will wait a long time to see if any patches that come out to repair the bugs.
As one can quickly see, a company taking a rep hit for publishing a buggy offical patch really slows down cash flow and I am frequently asked by friends about how good various games are.

For Civ, I will now be advising for my friends to wait until a true offical patch is released that works and I will be cautious in buying Civ IV if and when it is released.

I also agree with you Commander. I have come to a realization though and am no longer going to argue with Firaxis worshipers. Firaxis knows what bugs there are in the game, they know the submarine bug, they know the SGL bug, they know the non-army bug, they know all the bugs. They are working on them but it seems they are not dedicating much time or staff to it as they are working on Civ4 instead. The realization I've come to is that no matter how many Firaxis fanbois I argue with or how many times I point out the bugs Firaxis is just not going to dedicate more people or time to fixing this and it's just a waste of my time to argue and complain.

So I've put Civ3 back into it's box for now until the final patch is made. I'm glad I did after seeing the fiasco on here with the latest patch and the non-save compatible fix to that patch. When the final patch comes out I will go back to playing the game if the majority of bugs are fixed. As for Civ4 it better be amazing if I'm going to buy it.

I think problem may be that Firaxis programmers are working much more on new projects like Pirates! and maybe Civ4 than completing their current ones. This seems to be a Sid Meier (Firaxis) manner.

Don't forget there are still many major bugs in Civ 1 !!!
Or the submarine bug still there in Civ3-Vanilla and now reappeared in C3C.
Or the poor artillery ai script has not changed since Civ3 first came out.

There's no airdefense ai script at all though airdefense is one new major concept of C3C.
Also there is still no capture-the-flag game which is also a new major concept.

Don't misunderstand me i love Civ3 (Civ1 too) and think it's the best of genre but it would be a much more correct approach to complete a project first and then moving on to another.

Or at least make the source code public when they stop supporting an uncompleted or unfixed game for programming capable fans to be able to finish the job.

I don't think it's unjust for anyone to be a bit annoyed about this business manner.

Though i still hope they will find the correct way. ;)

There seems to be another bug in the way the the Ai places mines/irriagtions.Since Conquests the AI does't seem to able to replace mines through irrigation in the later game, which severly weaken it.

You can REALLY love the Civ franchise and still disagree, even very emotionally, with the way Firaxis has chosen to implement these patches. In fact, it could be argued that if you dont care enough to point out mistakes, maybe YOU dont love the game as much as you think you do.

Top Bottom