Can anyone explain this? (Deity)

Jester Fool

Emperor
1000BC and Asoka out of the blue gifts me Alphabet. Alpha is a monopoly tech (well until he gave it to me that is)...
Spoiler :
This is the first time in a meaningful game (i.e. not dead last in tech, axe vs. mace kinda thing) that I've ever been gifted a tech of more than trivial beakers (and never a monopoly tech). Sheesh, most of the time Aesthetics for Alpha still requires ~100 beakers or so. I am boxed in sure...
Spoiler :
but it is not like I can't elepult or something (freebie Alpha...thanks for quicker phants :lol:) What gives? Is Asoka typically this giving? Maybe something to do with his peaceweight?

Kinda odd indeed, but I've been gifted better techs before on Deity, although later in the game. Still, Alpha is pretty darn generous that early in the game. Had you put any beakers in Alpha at all?

As for Aesths, I've trade it straight up for Alpha before. It depends really. Sometimes just a few beakers or more. But 100 likely means someone has already started teching Aesths.

Had you put any beakers in Alpha at all?
Nope.
As for Aesths, I've trade it straight up for Alpha before. It depends really. Sometimes just a few beakers or more. But 100 likely means someone has already started teching Aesths.
Iirc, Genghis wanted 100 beakers in and he hadn't put research into it, but yes most of the time you can do an even trade (I assume leader XML has something to do with it). Some of the AIs I guess are just stingy you know whats (as AZ likes to say :lol:)

Alphabet is one of those techs that doesn't hold any monopoly value - unlocks 0 buildings/military/wonders. So the gift is understandable. Asoka is pleased with you, points difference is maxed.
Rare thing, though. RNG showed kindness.

^^^ Thanks for the insight. Tbh wasn't really thinking about the *value* of Alpha, it just seemed like an awful lot of free beakers pretty darn early.

BIC's explanation is the right one for the why Alpha has no monopoly.
In the whole game, there are 10 techs not undergoing any restriction except the required attitude is not satisfied or WFYABTA is blocking all further tech trades:

1. Fishing
  2. Agriculture
  3. Animal Husbandry
  4. Monotheism
  5. Monarchy
  6. Liberalism
  7. Printing Press
  8. Replaceable Parts
  9. Scientific Method
  10. Chemistry

In the past, I asked questions about the same RNG diplo action. Few answers, but some interesting insights...

Top Bottom