Can someone explain this happiness issue

AttilaTheHun

Chieftain
I don't understand why Cologne with a population of 2 has 2 angry population and how does 4 happy < 6 angry = 2 angry come about in a city with pop 2?

Normally I would expect angry pops after city pop 4. ie 5th and 6th pop would be angry, no?

See attached screenshots. I have Monarchy and Charity Civics on Monarch difficulty.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    462.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    328.4 KB · Views: 128
Standard World size, Normal Game Speed

The real question is how does a pop 2 city generate 6 unhappy people? It makes no sense to me.

I would expect this city to grow to size 4 before anyone becomes unhappy, regardless of map size or any other factors - because the city has 4 happiness generated already.

The way things stand, the city has to generate 7 happiness, before I can have a second worker. At least the free Magistrate is not unhappy.

It looks to me this is a bug with the way the unhappiness is presented.

Unhappiness should never be greater than the population. My third pop can work, because the city has 4 happiness - so it seems to work as expected. So the 2 Unhappy pop shown does not actually exist yet.

However, because of the way the unhappiness is greater than happiness, the citizen automation sets the pop growth to Stagnant even though it has room to grow to pop 4.

What the display should show is 4 happy > 2 unhappy - and the detail should show only 2 unhappy people, not 6.

In this way the Citizen Automation will grow the population to 4 before it makes the city stagnant.

No, it's probably the fact distance from palace unhappiness is grossly hyperinflated. I don't know if this should be a thing, so I'll have to consult 45*.

Unhappiness should never be greater than the population.

Wrong assumption. AFAIK it works the same as here in BTS too. There are many factors increasing unhappiness. What if your one size city gets a uranium resource? It gets one unhappy face. What if you build barracks? One unhappy face. Same for unhappiness caused by distance or civics. On a standard map size your unhappy city is pretty far from your capital for early classical era. You have to plan expansion carefully to avoid unhappiness.
Number of happy/unhappy faces is not strictly related to pop size.

I don't understand why Cologne with a population of 2 has 2 angry population and how does 4 happy < 6 angry = 2 angry come about in a city with pop 2?

Normally I would expect angry pops after city pop 4. ie 5th and 6th pop would be angry, no?

See attached screenshots. I have Monarchy and Charity Civics on Monarch difficulty.

With the very high distance from capital unhappiness modifier you should try to ignore min-maxing in the classical era. Just build as close as possible just like in civ 3 as a rule of thumb. If you want to have efficient cities, just raze them later when you get to medieval and build them further anew.

With the very high distance from capital unhappiness modifier you should try to ignore min-maxing in the classical era. Just build as close as possible just like in civ 3 as a rule of thumb. If you want to have efficient cities, just raze them later when you get to medieval and build them further anew.

Or try grabbing some land and preserve it for later use by building forts.

City is at 7/5, Next turn 7/9

It's not even distance this time, it's overcrowding. 45° is right there are too many factors and controlling it seems difficult, best thing to do is keep track of the event log when it will become unhappy.

Attachments

• 2016-09-16-221224_1280x1024_scrot.jpg
    2016-09-16-221224_1280x1024_scrot.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 2016-09-16-221512_1280x1024_scrot.jpg
    2016-09-16-221512_1280x1024_scrot.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 59
Top Bottom