Canada Mod - Deluxe Edition

That would be cool lol it could be a National wonder or Epic whatever they are called. and we could spread them to other Nations like a religon lol and get some extra commerce to the " Holy" city of Hamilton . :goodjob:

I think the infantry unit is perfect, though I would like to see it stronger. Canada's infantry was noted especially in WW1 to be some seriously tough hombres. The only thing that I find off is Trudeau being 'organized' creative would be more appropriate I think.

I like the UU and King as a leaderhead, but I would recommend dropping Trudeau for Laurier. Trudeau is a bit controversial to represent Canada with and besides Laurier would kick his butt anyways. :)

For a unique unit how about Machingunners that can attack. That was one of Canada's major contributions to WWI. They took a look at the mounted machinegun and said "hey... we can put those on motorcycles!" and bam. Non-defensive machinegun.

Chopperhead said:
also if were going to have a Candian civ would it be possible to include some Canadian buildings as well like have the CN tower

I'd love to include the CN Tower as a wonder. It's a communications tower, so some kind of bonus in that regard would be nice, although I'm not sure how that would work.

PiTiFUL said:
The only thing that I find off is Trudeau being 'organized' creative would be more appropriate I think.

I went with philosophical instead of creative (I figured the Constitution, Bill or Rights - these seem 'philosophical').

I still think MacDonald and Pearson should be the leaders :p

SuperBeaverInc. said:
I still think MacDonald and Pearson should be the leaders :p

It's not that difficult to simply add them and have 4 Canadian leaders. The bios are the most work, but still easy enough.

What traits and fav civic would you give them? I think Mac could be organized and expansionist, with representation as civic. Pearson would be philosophical and industrious maybe? Univ Suff as fav civic.

Glibe said:
What about helicopters? Isn't the Canadian Navy/Air Force obsessed with Helicopters? I think someone needs to do a reskinning of the gunship. And once we can create our own models, a transport copter is needed.

Speaking of helicopters, where is the mod that paints a shark mouth on the gunships?

LoL, Canada is terrible with helicopters we should be banned from them. Unless you want to make the unique unit the Sea King. Which replaces ICMBS and falls from the sky on the target. Why not get our self sinking sub marines they cause all other civ to run out and try to rescue them.

I like your concept, very good. The starting techs certainly suit us. My only big beef is with the leader choices. Both of those guys are certainly noted leaders, but i don't think they are our best. Plus you can't have 2 liberals you gotta have one liberal and one Conservative, so why not take the greatest prime minister from each faction.

Sir John A. MacDonald (Industrious, Organized)

Sir John A's big dream was the rail road, that is certainly why Industrial would be fit for him. Organized becuase he was a lawyer by trade after all, and one does generally have to be fairly shrewd to found a country in a couple of meetings.

Lester B. Pearson (Creative, Organized)

Creative, he won his noble peace prise becuase of it. It was he who came up with Idea of peace keeping. I'd say organized becuase he brought about many reforms during his term, including our flag. Even though he was a liberal I won't hold that against him I think it would be an absolute shame to pass up the greatest prime minister this country had to date.

Alternates:

Brian Mulroney (financial, creative) and Sir Wilfred Laurier (philosophical, industrious). Both Laurier and Pearson are far better liberal prime ministers than Trudeau ever was, and Mulroney was voted the second best prime minister in the last half century.

I like your Canada Corps idea but Canadian Light Infantry might be a more fitting name concidering probably the most well known Canadian Regiment is the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. March is good if not that medic II since it helps those around the unit and one this canada sure does is help others.

If you know how to add buildings you should add Parliment (+4 culture, +1 commerce, double production speed with stone) as a national wonder, available with Nationalism. And the Oil Sands Project (+5 commerce, +2 great engineer, double production speed with oil) available with Industrialism.

I know this is your mod and I really have no right to judge. I would be flattered if you even concider anything I have to add.

R-A-N-M-A said:
I like your Canada Corps idea but Canadian Light Infantry might be a more fitting name concidering probably the most well known Canadian Regiment is the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. March is good if not that medic II since it helps those around the unit and one this canada sure does is help others.

Hold on there. Many in the east would differ on that point. Eastern anglophones would argue that the Royal Canadian Regiment (RCR), being Canada's oldest existing infantry regiment, should get the nod just as I am certain that many Quebecois would argue for the Vandoos (R22eR).

So, for the sake of harmony, I propose that we have an airborne unit as our UU. From a historical standpoint our greatest moment, militarily speaking, was during WWI, where our soldiers (infantry) gained the respect of nations from around the world. So, outside of a hopped-up infantry unit as our UU, I would argue that our finest ever conventional combat unit was the Canadian Airborne Regiment. It was comprised of 3 battalions (called commandos) who drew their membership from the 3 respective infantry regiments, as follows:
  • 1 Commando - R22eR
  • 2 Commando - PPCLI
  • 3 Commando - RCR
Aside from the fact that the unit was disbanded due to the actions of a few bad apples and some bad leadership, I think it would make a great UU for Canada. The unit had the respect of our own military, our NATO allies, and nations around the world for being a hardcore fighting force.

Well, thats just my 2 cents (about 1.6 cents US).

regards

It would be nice to have the Canadian Airbourne Regiment, but in recent years their record isn't as flattering. They were dissolved because of questionable activities in Somalia.

These are the traits I would give MacDonald and Pearson.

Sir John A. MacDonald - Expansive, Creative
Lester B. Pearson - Creative, Philosophical

R-A-N-M-A said:
Plus you can't have 2 liberals you gotta have one liberal and one Conservative, so why not take the greatest prime minister from each faction.

Sir John A. MacDonald (Industrious, Organized)

Lester B. Pearson (Creative, Organized)

I think this is fair - one Conservative and one Liberal. In Civ1 I used to play as Pearson, King, Trudeau or MacDonald, so that's pretty much the list we've seen here (minus Laurier).

My rationale for Trudeau is 1) length of term, 2) Bill of Rights, 3) constitution, 4) social impact. It's hard to argue with his impact on Canada. King was based mostly on longevity and his role as the WWII PM.

MacDonald makes perfect sense, as does Pearson. You know, maybe I'll just add both. :)

Canada Corps is a bit more broad in numbers but focused in terms of era, which is what I was going for. But there is lots of support, it seems for naval, air and other units in different measures. I doubt we'll find something that fits everyone. Maybe I'll revist the Canada Corps structure. I've always been in favour of 2 UUs per civ, though. That would give us another option.

If you know how to add buildings you should add Parliment (+4 culture, +1 commerce, double production speed with stone) as a national wonder, available with Nationalism. And the Oil Sands Project (+5 commerce, +2 great engineer, double production speed with oil) available with Industrialism.

I'm not as familiar with this, but I'll play around when I get the chance.

I know this is your mod and I really have no right to judge. I would be flattered if you even concider anything I have to add.

I very much appreciate your input.

Yeah I forgot about expansive that would be a good one for Sir John A. But I think Indoustrious should still stand becuase he was crazy about that rail road. Super beaver, you live in Calgary eh, so do I.

SuperBeaverInc. said:
These are the traits I would give MacDonald and Pearson.

Sir John A. MacDonald - Expansive, Creative
Lester B. Pearson - Creative, Philosophical

:goodjob:

I'm just wondering, though, if John A. should be more organized (confederation)? I agree with expansive to cover both the railraod and westward development.

Pearson looks good to me.

R-A-N-M-A said:
Yeah I forgot about expansive that would be a good one for Sir John A. But I think Indoustrious should still stand becuase he was crazy about that rail road. Super beaver, you live in Calgary eh, so do I.

He was crazy about the railroad so that he could achieve his dream of expanding Canada to the Pacific. :p

Peace-keeping troops!

It seems that we are one of the most dedicated nations in supplying peace-keeping troops to war-torn areas.

Maybe the UU is at infantry level power, but has the bonus of adding +1 happiness to cities they are stationed in (to a maximum of +3 in any city).

Or if there was some way of allowing the presence of the UU to help quell uprisings or revolts more quickly?

In terms of Canadian "golden age" units, it would have to be during WWI. The Vimy Ridge battle is considered our shining moment in international conflict. A close second would be the troops that landed at Normandy during D-Day, as they pushed inland further and faster than any other army during that conflict. They were so effective, in fact, that they were ORDERED to slow down because they were going to stretch the supply lines too thin.

It is nice to see some people actually patriotic enough to make a Canada mod. I always get chocked when Canada is completely ignored.

A lot of people are saying the CN tower should be used as a wonder, but I am not so sure. So it is the tallest free standing structure in the world, but it is really nothig more than a novlty. It does nothing more than let people see how smoggy Toronto is from the height of the smog. There really few things of wonder calibur in Canada. Parliment is really only fit for a national wonder it is a charming sturcture but it has no effect out side of this country, and the oil sands project is the onlything that has the scope of a world wonder, after all it is the biggest oil deposit in the world.

Hey, wyz I was wondering what your city list looks like? Obviously Ottawa is your capitol, but what have you got after that?

R-A-N-M-A said:
It would be nice to have the Canadian Airbourne Regiment, but in recent years their record isn't as flattering. They were dissolved because of questionable activities in Somalia.

I like this idea. The special unit ability can be that it can only attack non-military units and is immediately disbanded after use. Or just renamed a Paratrooper unit and hope that nobody realizes it's the exact same guys. :)

It's cool to have a Canada civ - I always used that in Civ III. I just renamed the Iroquois since they had the horse UU and renamed that the Mountie. The Organized trait sucks, though, so I'd use something else. Aggressive and Spiritual would be good, mainly because Canada is fairly pacifist and secular.

R-A-N-M-A said:
A lot of people are saying the CN tower should be used as a wonder, but I am not so sure. Parliment is really only fit for a national wonder it is a charming sturcture but it has no effect out side of this country, and the oil sands project is the onlything that has the scope of a world wonder, after all it is the biggest oil deposit in the world.

I'd have to agree, the CN tower just doesn't cut it. What about the West Edmonton Mall? :lol: Hollywood North maybe? Trailer Park Boys?

Hey, wyz I was wondering what your city list looks like? Obviously Ottawa is your capitol, but what have you got after that?

Yeah Wyz, don't forget Moose Jaw. :cool:

What makes the bio's so hard? Can't you just cut them out of Wikipedia and then edit a bit or is there some rule against that?

I always thought the Mountie should be Canada's UU but I have no problem with a WW Infantry unit. I just don't think that people should consider WW2 as Canada's golden age, considering that the people back home were far from living it large.

Is it possible to have 2D leaderheads in Civ4? Then you could find some photos online and use them until a sufficient 3d one is created. I always prefered this in Civ3 instead of reusing existing leaderheads.

Top Bottom