1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't actually *finish* games

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Connor Sinulf, Jan 11, 2012.

1. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

Don't worry, I have 1200 hrs of playing the game, and I have +30 games saved on several difficulties. Will I finish them?

Not sure.:dunno:

2. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

Given the resources they obviously spent on the cinematic opening you would think that we would get something better than a static picture for a win.

I know it is stupid...but I would often finish the crappiest of games just to complete my "Castle" back in the day. Now about 30% of my games are worthy of going through to the glory that is the static win screen.

3. qec

qec King

I usually finish my games nowadays, but never used to. When it first came out I was trying it out on different settings and map sizes to find what I like. That lead to a bunch of games where I had the intention of going back and beating them, then a patch would come out and completely change the game and there was no hope of beating the pre-patch games.

I usually set personal goals for a game too. Like trying to beat it by certain times or beating high score or trying ICS culture wins, though usually unsuccessful, or try and build as many wonders as I can.

When I find a later game is getting boring I usually completely change my tactics to warmonger, because if I play warmonger from the start the game doesn't often last until later game. This can be fun because it mixes it up a bit. I've done this plenty of times; where your on a clear path to a Science or culture win but are getting tired of just clicking through turns, so you spawn an army and start some wars.

4. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

Usually by turn 350 or so i have all the satisfaction i will have from a game, i will know if im going to win or lose and the turn pace slows down a lot, even on small maps. i have finished very few games, its more fun for me to start a new game, explore the world, build things and develop an empire to enjoy. once i stop enjoying a game, i quit and that has reduced a lot of my disdain toward many of civ's flaws, sometimes i don't play enough of a game to encounter enough relevant ones to irritate me too much.

5. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

i believe it is in your account settings somewhere and it is a general implication of what difficulty level you play on. I suppose it doesn't really matter what you set it to, some people just set it to diety, others to the name of the royalty title they prefer - i set mine to emperor because i play on emperor, win lose or draw. when i lose it is because of intentional decisions that i knew would probably conclude in such a result with the risk at hand, and not because i am an unaware player who makes bad decisions.

I suppose i lack any desire to play above emperor, i don't care about being the best or better than i already am, i just want to feel a sense of balance where im not rushed into playing an extremely aggressive game style i don't enjoy and that is the general nature of immortal+ and multiplayer.

6. zomg

zomg Chieftain

I'm totally this way too.. except I do finish maybe one game in 5, just because its uncertain enough that there is some fun left in it. Also its the fact that I get to play with my shiny new high tech toys for a bit, they did a good job on civ 5 in this respect.

7. unexplained

unexplained Prints of Whales

I'll be playing along quite happily, then sometime during the Industrial Era I all of a sudden get bored and quit. Maybe I'm just bad at setting goals. I think I've actually finished one game.

8. Wargizmo

Wargizmo Warlord

90% of my games are on small or tiny maps for this very reason. I find them a lot more fun and much easier to finish. Anything bigger than standard is just awful, except on earth for some reason, it doesn't seem so daunting when you know the map.

9. qec

qec King

Thanks Thadian, Unfortunately I still can't figure it out. I've dug and dug looking where to change this but just can't find it. I thought maybe it had something to do with how many posts I've made, like a forum leveling system or something. Usually I'm alright at figuring this stuff out to but just can't get this. I can beat the game on the higher difficulties if I really try hard, but usually play on Prince or King because that's where I have the most fun. So I'd like to at least change it to Prince or King, I definitely haven't played chieftain since the day the game was released.

10. krc

krc King

Click on "My Account", and then click on "Edit Details". Change the setting for "Custom User Title".

The default is (as you suspected) based on the number of posts,and is updated automatically when you post more messages.

11. Pembroke

Pembroke Tribune

I usually lose interest at the point when it gets obvious that I'm going to win. Then I just stop playing and start a new game. And probably am not alone in this and may well be in the majority...

Don't lose sleep over it. The point of playing is to have fun. If you are no longer having fun in your current game what's the point of continuing it? It's not as if you are competing against someone and must play to the end.

I find the early and mid parts of the game the most enjoyable and the late part rather boring. It's a rare game where it's not clear after the mid part whether you are going to win or lose. In those cases I continue playing but that's because it's still a challenge and as such enjoyable.

I consider it actually a defect in the game that it can't uphold the challenge factor to the end. This is actually an inbuilt problem in most 4X-games as your "playing power" compounds. The more powerful you get the easier it is to get even more powerful. I don't know if there really is a solution for this...

Other than the "stop and restart", that is, which works fine. :)

12. sparkyal

sparkyal Warlord

I nearly always finish my games. Even thought the victory screens are pure junk!!!!!

As far as some nrw things to add, they could add terrorism into the mix. And as far as the tech tree...it is awful, awful, awful...we need more techs and wonders :) :) :) :)

And I miss cival wars...nearly every major power has had one and it should be reflected in the game.....

13. qec

qec King

Thanks krc, I don't see the option anywhere so I now figure it must only appear after so many posts or something, a sorta Level-up so to speak. I've Scoured the options looking for it but no luck yet. I'm just gonna keep checking until its an option.

14. FeiLing

FeiLing Deity

Oh that information isn't that hard to find...
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=59454

15. qec

qec King

WooHoo! Yeah, 30 Posts for sure. I tried checking the FAQ out for sure but couldn't find it. Got it figured out now though, thanks for the help. Also, apologies for all the off topic posts on here.

16. Ozzy88

Ozzy88 Chieftain

Most times I never even reach the modern era unless I'm doing really well and want to crush everyone else utterly.

17. danieladler

danieladler Warlord

Yeah i also dont finish all my emperor and immortal games. Mostly because the victory becomes clear quite fast. I just dont feel the motivation to go on when i have already won. And another reason is sometimes the same as many other civfanatics have talked about: the boring endgame with millions of units to push around. Damn thats boring.... On emperor and immortal you can also ofc find quite early that you will loose, or have a hell of a tiresome and boring time trying to win against too corrupt ai.

18. Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves Grand Inquisitor

Just finished my first Science Victory ever, all my other attempts stranded because I got bored having to wait for 20 more turns (all of which are just meaningless micromanagement at that point because you've most likely already won) for the final part to finish and then finding out you need 3 boosters, they even put the stupid victory screen over the godamned ship launching, what the hell!?
    And now that I've seen the demographics again, or rather, the 2 point demographics that tell dissapointingly little, and have infoaddict running, I really have no need anymore for that either, so I guess I'll probably never bother to finish a game ever again.

19. Burberry Man

Burberry Man Chieftain

Yeah I rarely finish games too. I either try to beat my best time or move on to MP where it is a whole new ball game.